Notices

[THE REFINERY] Have a car detailing question? Ask The Refinery.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2024, 10:49 AM
kwazi7
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the reply!

The Gyeon Leather kit looks like a really interesting option especially on a new car! Thanks!

If I do stick with LM, just to be sure I understand what youre saying:
* Maintenance cleanup is the LM Cleaner pump
* Periodically apply the LM Vital to condition / recharge the leather
* Less frequently but for protection, cleaner + vital + apply LM Protection Cream

Thanks
Old 07-02-2024, 07:30 PM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by kwazi7
Thanks for the reply!

The Gyeon Leather kit looks like a really interesting option especially on a new car! Thanks!

If I do stick with LM, just to be sure I understand what youre saying:
* Maintenance cleanup is the LM Cleaner pump
* Periodically apply the LM Vital to condition / recharge the leather
* Less frequently but for protection, cleaner + vital + apply LM Protection Cream

Thanks
Yep, you've got it. You don't always need to do all 3 every time. The cleaner is the most used, then conditioner (Vital), then the Protection Cream is the least frequent.

Pro-tip: a soft-bristled brush is the best method of gently agitating when using a leather cleaner. It comes with the Gyeon Leather kit, or your can buy them individually.

THE REFINERY
Paint Correction | Ceramic Coatings | Paint Protection Film | Detailing Products
6 Carlaw Avenue
Toronto, Canada.

www.therefinery.ltd

+1.416.848.2868
info@therefinery.ltd
Follow us on: Instagram / Facebook / Twitter
THE REFINERY's YouTube Channel

The following users liked this post:
kwazi7 (07-02-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 01:19 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 237 Likes on 183 Posts

@THE REFINERY Could you recommend a clay bar/spray? Thanks!
Old 07-03-2024, 02:41 PM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
@THE REFINERY Could you recommend a clay bar/spray? Thanks!
Yep! Gyeon makes several clay bars in Course, Medium, Fine abrasiveness - and a clay lube as well. CarPro has the same. We use these, but generally don't stock them for retail sale. IIRC, you can get Mothers clay at Canadian Tire - which will do the trick as well. I believe they use Quick Detailer as lube which is maybe not as slick, but works too.

When using clay, you WILL cause marring on the paint. I usually only recommend clay as a prep for Paint Correction (ie machine polishing). It does a great job of shearing off embedded contaminants that don't come off in a wash or by using chemicals, but it will leave 'swirl mark' and scrubbing-like damage on the surface. Unfortunately those marks can only be corrected with machine polishing.

Clay is also pretty helpful for cleaning up gloss-painted wheels. Use iron-dissolving (eg GYEON Iron) and tar removing chemicals (eg GYEON Tar) first to remove that contamination, then the clay is great at shearing off the little black particles that can be left behind. Then ideally you could polish with a small DA after.
The following users liked this post:
bcrdukes (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 03:44 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 237 Likes on 183 Posts

We just returned on a 2800km road trip to the US, so as you can imagine, a lot of dead bugs, dirt, grime, tar, and all sorts of stuff having gone on this journey. I'm not sure if you would recommend a clay bar and a polish, or a different chemical to spray on the more tougher spots, and then a good hand wash after. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-08-2024, 10:16 AM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
We just returned on a 2800km road trip to the US, so as you can imagine, a lot of dead bugs, dirt, grime, tar, and all sorts of stuff having gone on this journey. I'm not sure if you would recommend a clay bar and a polish, or a different chemical to spray on the more tougher spots, and then a good hand wash after. Thanks in advance!
I'd try to resolve as much of it as possible without clay - to avoid the marring. A "Bug & Grime" cleaner should help with the splats, IRON will help remove the surprising amount of iron-based deposits, and TAR would help with anything oily/grease related.

If bird droppings, bug splats or water spots have baked into the surface, then yes, try clay in those areas.

Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by THE REFINERY:
bcrdukes (07-08-2024), RealityGT (07-08-2024)

Quick Reply: [THE REFINERY] Have a car detailing question? Ask The Refinery.