Notices

[THE REFINERY] Have a car detailing question? Ask The Refinery.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 08:11 PM
confused66
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 64 Posts

Hi, what do you guys recommend for a user-applied ceramic coating that's compatible with a matte wrap? Appreciate any insights you might have! I've attached a photo of the wrap as it might influence your recommendation to ensure I don't lose the iridescent effect. Thanks in advance!

3M Satin Flip Psychedelic
Old 05-04-2022, 12:37 AM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks for the question!

Vinyl satin and matte finishes can be very tricky to work on when using ceramic coatings. The coating can absorb unevenly into the vinyl (vs a gloss surface), and as a result can be more prone to creating a striped appearance from your application strokes.

If you're doing this on your own, I'd suggest using one of the easier to apply brands. GYEON coatings are relatively easy to work with, as are Kamikaze coatings.

Two tips when applying:
  1. Keep your applicator well loaded with product (but not dripping wet!) to avoid wiping on a very thin stroke which can flash very quickly and then be difficult to remove. Use a cross-hatch application pattern to help ensure an even distribution of product, and to even out and thin or thick areas of application. Do only 1 panel at a time max.
  2. Use 2 (or 3) clean and soft MF towels during removal. The first is to remove the bulk of the product, but it will load up with residue and become less effective as you get into your 2nd or 3rd panel. The second towel is to have a 'still clean' and absorbent second pass to remove whatever was left over from the dirtier first towel. And the 3rd (if you choose to use it) is the 'insurance' towel. Use a very light buffing motion just to allow the clean towel to grab any last trace of excess residue, and to even out any trace high-spots.
Good luck!

THE REFINERY
Paint Correction | Ceramic Coatings | Paint Protection Film | Detailing Products
6 Carlaw Avenue
Toronto, Canada.

www.therefinery.ltd

+1.416.848.2868
info@therefinery.ltd
Follow us on: Instagram / Facebook / Twitter
THE REFINERY's YouTube Channel

Old 05-04-2022, 03:29 AM
confused66
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 64 Posts

Thanx!
Old 05-07-2022, 09:13 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,462 Likes on 2,236 Posts

Originally Posted by THE REFINERY
Yes, pics would be very helpful. If it's the textured plastic that is scuffed, then there's no remedy (other than replacement). If it's gloss carbon or something, it might respond to polishing.

Post a pic and maybe that will give us a better idea of the type of scuffing.

Thanks!
sorry for the late reply, I find this hard plastic extremely sensitive……. see the marring below, I’ve not tried anything abrasive yet, any ideas are welcome

Old 05-10-2022, 07:08 PM
JoeRock
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi. I have fairly fine scratch on my rear window. You can just catch it with your finger nail at the top but it's not what I would call 'deep'. Any recommendations on buffing or polishing that up? I have seen auto glass polishers but not sure if they are any good.

Thanks.

Last edited by JoeRock; 05-10-2022 at 07:08 PM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 05-11-2022, 11:03 AM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by UncleDude
sorry for the late reply, I find this hard plastic extremely sensitive……. see the marring below, I’ve not tried anything abrasive yet, any ideas are welcome

Unfortunately, you don't really have any options to fix textured plastic like this. Don't use an abrasive on it. It will sand a smoother grove where you do that and will be more noticeable than these thin scratches. You could replace that piece if it bothers you too much.
The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (05-11-2022)
Old 05-11-2022, 11:05 AM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JoeRock
Hi. I have fairly fine scratch on my rear window. You can just catch it with your finger nail at the top but it's not what I would call 'deep'. Any recommendations on buffing or polishing that up? I have seen auto glass polishers but not sure if they are any good.

Thanks.

You can't really do much with glass. If you try to use an abrasive process to polish out the scratch (ie remove material to the depth of the scratch) you will distort the surface of the glass and you'll have a much bigger imperfection on your hands.
Old 05-12-2022, 02:55 PM
JoeRock
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I saw some videos on YouTube where they use a glass polishing kit, with a pad attached to a drill etc. to clean up scratches on glass. Can't bring myself to try it though.

I ended up using some toothpaste and a damp rag to work on it first, then used some Meguiar's Ultimate compound and polish to clean it up as they market it as non-abrasive (applied with a microfibre cloth and worked in by hand). It's still there, but significantly reduced, and no marring of the glass at all.

I also had some minor scratching on the black plastic piece behind the sunroof, and the black plastic bar above the spoiler vents, from washing, I assume. I used the same compound and polish on the spoiler plastic to test it, and got excellent results. It honestly looks like new. I'll likely put some Jet Seal on both as well.

Before / After

Old 05-22-2022, 02:48 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by THE REFINERY
Not yet, but we expect to soon. Do you prefer one of these brands/products vs the other?
Car is coming in soon. Have you decide on which windshield PPF product you going to work with ? STEK Dynoflex or Alchemy ExoShield ? or other ?
Do you recommend PPF protection on the headlight ?

Last edited by lowbee; 05-22-2022 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-06-2022, 02:05 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 226 Posts

Hi! Wondering what you recommend for a pre-wash insect and tar removal product/technique. Preference for something a person can perform while on a road trip.

ETA: My car has Xpel and Xpel Fusion Ceramic.

Last edited by OliverK68; 06-06-2022 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-06-2022, 05:30 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 237 Likes on 183 Posts

Ditto to OliverK68's question, except I don't have Xpel and Xpel Fusion ceramic. Just a 20+ year old clear coat and paint. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-08-2022, 10:26 AM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by lowbee
Car is coming in soon. Have you decide on which windshield PPF product you going to work with ? STEK Dynoflex or Alchemy ExoShield ? or other ?
Do you recommend PPF protection on the headlight ?
We're getting our Exoshield certification shortly...
Old 06-08-2022, 10:33 AM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by OliverK68
Hi! Wondering what you recommend for a pre-wash insect and tar removal product/technique. Preference for something a person can perform while on a road trip.

ETA: My car has Xpel and Xpel Fusion Ceramic.
Typically, we like to just use a car wash soap to remove most insect marks. This is even more possible with your ceramic coating. A bit of a pre-soak will help soften the bugs, so you're not rubbing hard to get the residue off. If they're really old and baked on, try an insect removal product like Gyeon Bug & Grime. Just spray on the insect mark, let dwell for a bit, then wash. It should help break down the guts.

Tar is a different issue. If it's not coming off with car wash soap or a stronger APC, you can use a product like Gyeon TAR. I prefer to squirt it on a MF cloth, and dab the area clean. I wouldn't suggest spraying or wiping the whole panel (unless the whole panel is splattered with oil/tar).

HTH!
The following 2 users liked this post by THE REFINERY:
bcrdukes (06-08-2022), OliverK68 (06-08-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 11:16 AM
blassy
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I would love to be able to bring my car to you guys for a great detail, but alas I'm in Niagara and it's a bit far.
Guards red 997 that is showing some nasty swirl marks in the paint lately. Attributed to previous owner not paying attention, and made worse by my lazy single bucket washing last year.
What's the best method DIY to resolve the problem? Products I might need? Assuming that buying a polisher is in my near future as well.
Old 06-10-2022, 02:11 PM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by blassy
I would love to be able to bring my car to you guys for a great detail, but alas I'm in Niagara and it's a bit far.
Guards red 997 that is showing some nasty swirl marks in the paint lately. Attributed to previous owner not paying attention, and made worse by my lazy single bucket washing last year.
What's the best method DIY to resolve the problem? Products I might need? Assuming that buying a polisher is in my near future as well.
Yes, the right way to fix it is with Paint Correction (ie machine polishing). You would be able to make a good difference in the clarity and removal of swirl marks with a 1 Step process. You could use a Rupes yellow pad (you'll want several pads to do a full car without stopping, washing, drying pads as they get dirty) and Sonax Perfect Finish polish.

Check out this kit.

HTH!

Quick Reply: [THE REFINERY] Have a car detailing question? Ask The Refinery.