Notices

[THE REFINERY] Have a car detailing question? Ask The Refinery.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 10:17 AM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.2 GTS
I purchased from your online store, thanks for the fast service....
- Car Pro Reload
- Gyeon Q2M Iron
- Hyde's Serum Rust Stopper......i don't think that I'll ever clean my wheels without this stuff again!
Thanks for the order! Glad you're liking the products!

After a good wash I tried to use the Gyeon Iron then without a Clay bar or a polish I went directly to Reload. I don't have that really smooth silky feel so next time I will Claybar and lightly machine polish before the Reload.
Gyeon Iron is a fantastic decontamination step when prepping for wax or polishing, on brake dust, and also when you can see little black/orange specs on light colored cars. But if you're going for full surface decontamination, you'll typically want to use both chemical means (eg Gyeon Iron, Gyeon Tar, etc) as well as physical means (eg clay bar). Each of those products address contaminants that the others don't. But that complete process isn't something you should need to do all that often. Once you've done some polishing and sealed the paint after, you shouldn't need the clay bar again until way down the road before you want to polish again. The chemicals can be used any time as needed to address grease or rubber marks, or iron deposits. But if you're not using a ceramic coating, be prepared to reapply your fav sealant if it looks like it has been depleted by the Tar remover etc.

Gyeon IRON turns purple as it dissolves iron-based contamination.

Question....when DA machine polishing, how do I transition between PPF and non-PPF without possibly lifting the PPF edges with the DA polisher. Should I mask the edges? Also, won't the liquid polish stick to the edges of the PPF just like a paste wax? I don't mind doing a manual Pre Cleaner polish if I have to.
Good question. Yes, if you have exposed seams on your PPF you might want to tape them off to prevent the polisher from rubbing at those edges. If they're strongly adhered, the polisher isn't likely to cause any lifting, but yes, you will get polish residue against those seams. If you do get some residue along the edges of your PPF, use Gyeon Prep (or a 50/50 alcohol wipedown mix) and a soft MF towel to remove the residue BEFORE it has dried out and hardened. Residue is not that hard to remove if you get to it while it's still fresh. It's very hard to remove once it has dried.

THE REFINERY
Paint Correction | Ceramic Coatings | Paint Protection Film | Detailing Products
6 Carlaw Avenue
Toronto, Canada.

www.therefinery.ltd

+1.416.848.2868
info@therefinery.ltd
Follow us on: Instagram / Facebook / Twitter
THE REFINERY's YouTube Channel

Old 07-14-2020, 11:01 AM
Anakin Skywalker
Drifting

Received 478 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by THE REFINERY
We were thinking that because we so many technical detailing questions by PM, Instagram DM, phone calls and texts - that the Rennlist community would also benefit from hearing the Q&A's too!

Post here if you have a question about detailing, ceramic coatings, paint protection film etc and we'll keep an eye on this thread to provide answers.

And of course - we're still available by PM and phone if you'd prefer 1 on 1 correspondence

So, what questions are on your mind?
What do you recommend for a weekly leather cleaner? I have a 1996 911 cabriolet and I tend to drive it with the top down a lot in the summer months. It needs a weekly clean because so much road dust and dirt accumulates in the interior.
I use a deep leather conditioner twice a year, but what do you recommend for a weekly wipe down of the leather surfaces? I use Chemical Guys invisible cleaner diluted in vinyl surfaces.
Thanks
Old 07-16-2020, 09:16 PM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Anakin Skywalker
What do you recommend for a weekly leather cleaner? I have a 1996 911 cabriolet and I tend to drive it with the top down a lot in the summer months. It needs a weekly clean because so much road dust and dirt accumulates in the interior.
I use a deep leather conditioner twice a year, but what do you recommend for a weekly wipe down of the leather surfaces? I use Chemical Guys invisible cleaner diluted in vinyl surfaces.
Thanks
I've always liked Leather Master cleaner as a regular leather cleaner. It's my go-to for the silk nappa leather in my Audi. It's not harsh at all and no strong scent. It just leaves a soft, smooth finish. Finish it with Leather Master VITAL conditioner if you're up for a conditioning.

Otherwise, Gyeon Leather is also a great cleaner and you can dilute it down to suit your needs. If you cut it with 75% water it would also be a great, every-week cleaner.

Both are available in our online store @ www.therefinery.ltd . I hope that helps!
Old 07-19-2020, 09:56 PM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 311 Posts

I had a amazing experience with The Refinery in downtown Toronto (I came by it on rennlist as he is a site sponsor). I had a ceramic coat applied and a few more Xpel pieces added. I picked up my Spyder on Friday afternoon and I’m so pleased with the work Gerard and his team did. Gerard, the owner is quite literally hands on. The place is immaculate and well laid out. On the lower shop floor, I noticed a beautiful red 911 air cooled Porsche. It turned out it was the owners car. A Porsche enthusiast no less. Of course it was in pristine condition. It was great to have your car in the hands of someone who fully understands the OCD of fellow enthusiast 😊. He certainly treated my car like it was own. When I picked it up he patiently answered all of my questions and didn’t rush me out, even though they were busy getting cars ready for pick up.

He never tried to “ up sell” anything to me and basically outlined the pros and cons of different packages. If you are looking for a trustworthy place in the GTA that does excellent work, I highly recommend it. Here are some pics.

The following 3 users liked this post by ISPYA718:
bcrdukes (07-20-2020), rx7dude (07-25-2020), skru_fase (07-20-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 03:19 PM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the feedback! We loved having your new Spyder in the shop, and it was great chatting with you. I'm so glad you're happy with our work and the overall experience. That's exactly what we hope to deliver every time.

Now... enjoy the drive in your new Porsche!!! What a machine!
The following users liked this post:
ISPYA718 (07-22-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 12:49 PM
Lemikson
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi Gerard, a few questions for you.

1. What would you recommend for getting rid of the sticky grime accumulated over the 15 years on an 06 997 Coupe interior hard touch plastic? Plastic trim on door cards, bottom of the central console stack, coin holder lid… All of that has a thick and sticky accumulation of I would say everything – dust, residue from cleaning materials used over the years, grime…

2. Soft touch instrument panel surfaces could use a good clean. It is structurally in a very good condition being still very soft and without cracks but a bit dull as it was last time cleaned years ago.

3. Leather seats and door card inserts covered in leather – good over all condition but dull and dust in general. For sure need a good cleaner and conditioner. Door card sections in leather have the same oily, sticky residue as the hard-plastic trim.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-23-2020, 03:00 PM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lemikson
Hi Gerard, a few questions for you.

1. What would you recommend for getting rid of the sticky grime accumulated over the 15 years on an 06 997 Coupe interior hard touch plastic? Plastic trim on door cards, bottom of the central console stack, coin holder lid… All of that has a thick and sticky accumulation of I would say everything – dust, residue from cleaning materials used over the years, grime…

2. Soft touch instrument panel surfaces could use a good clean. It is structurally in a very good condition being still very soft and without cracks but a bit dull as it was last time cleaned years ago.

3. Leather seats and door card inserts covered in leather – good over all condition but dull and dust in general. For sure need a good cleaner and conditioner. Door card sections in leather have the same oily, sticky residue as the hard-plastic trim.

Thanks in advance.
Great questions!
  1. Try Gyeon VINYL CLEANER on those interior bits. It's a really versatile interior cleaner that's great a removing finger grease, dust, old dressings etc. It'll leave a clean, dry finish which can be left as is - or apply your fav dressing once done. If you're trying to deepen the appearance of the plastics, try CarPro PERL. It adds some depth of color without being very greasy or shiny.
  2. You can also use Gyeon VINYL CLEANER for this. Or Nextzett Cockpit Premium is excellent for matte and rubberized surfaces, as well as touch-screens.
  3. I've always been a big fan of Leather Master CLEANER and VITAL (conditioner). It's super gentle and natural, and leaves a clean dry finish. But we also really like Gyeon LEATHER CLEANER and LEATHER COAT to condition and protect. You can also get these Gyeon products in a kit that includes a good leather brush, MF applicators and towel. For your situation, make sure to use a leather brush to agitate the cleaner into the surface. It works SO much better than simply wiping the leather with a cleaner on a towel.
All of these products are in stock at www.therefinery.ltd . Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!
Old 07-23-2020, 11:07 PM
Lemikson
Rennlist Member

Great questions!
  1. Try Gyeon VINYL CLEANER on those interior bits. It's a really versatile interior cleaner that's great a removing finger grease, dust, old dressings etc. It'll leave a clean, dry finish which can be left as is - or apply your fav dressing once done. If you're trying to deepen the appearance of the plastics, try CarPro PERL. It adds some depth of color without being very greasy or shiny.
  2. You can also use Gyeon VINYL CLEANER for this. Or Nextzett Cockpit Premium is excellent for matte and rubberized surfaces, as well as touch-screens.
  3. I've always been a big fan of Leather Master CLEANER and VITAL (conditioner). It's super gentle and natural, and leaves a clean dry finish. But we also really like Gyeon LEATHER CLEANER and LEATHER COAT to condition and protect. You can also get these Gyeon products in a kit that includes a good leather brush, MF applicators and towel. For your situation, make sure to use a leather brush to agitate the cleaner into the surface. It works SO much better than simply wiping the leather with a cleaner on a towel.
All of these products are in stock at www.therefinery.ltd . Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!

Thanks so much Gerard. Your service and advice is always outstanding!.
I will give it a try as per you advise. Order already placed.
Best. Mile
Old 07-23-2020, 11:27 PM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks so much Gerard. Your service and advice is always outstanding!.
I will give it a try as per you advise. Order already placed.
Best. Mile
Happy to help!! And thanks so much for the order!
Old 08-04-2020, 01:30 PM
Lemikson
Rennlist Member

Happy to help!! And thanks so much for the order!

Very good stuff Gerard. Impressed with leather cleaner and conditioner.
Thanks again on a such prompt responses and quick delivery. Great job.
Now, switch over to carpeting. It's in really good condition, clean and plush.
But, car was not much used so there is a stale air smell that got into the carpet.
What would you recommend to bring a scent of freshness into the carpet and easy to apply?
I don't want to go with Febreze like stuff

Last edited by Lemikson; 08-04-2020 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Add text
Old 08-04-2020, 06:56 PM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Very good stuff Gerard. Impressed with leather cleaner and conditioner.
Thanks again on a such prompt responses and quick delivery. Great job.
Great! So glad you like it.

Now, switch over to carpeting. It's in really good condition, clean and plush.
But, car was not much used so there is a stale air smell that got into the carpet.
What would you recommend to bring a scent of freshness into the carpet and easy to apply?
I don't want to go with Febreze like stuff
The most important thing when storing a car for longer than a few weeks is having moisture/humidity control to ensure you don't get a musty smell from stale humid air. Take a look at Canadian Tire for DRY-Z-Air desiccant. It comes in a mesh-like tub with a small pan beneath it and it absorbs moisture out of the air in the car's cabin. Since I've started using this, I've completely eliminated the musty smell in my stored cars, and avoided interior mold. You might need to replace the granules every 2-3months.

But if you want to clean the carpets first, I've had good results at home with 303 Carpet & Fabric cleaner. Mist the carpet, use a moist soft brush (like a leather brush) to work the detergent into the carpet (do not saturate the carpet), then use a moist MF towel to wipe the carpet and lift the dirt out. Then use a dry MF towel to dry the moistness away. And NOW, use DRY-Z-AIR to absorb any moisture as it dries, and any humidity that finds its way into the car while stored.

I think I have a few 303 Carpet cleaner bottles at the shop if you want me to add it to our store? I might also look into selling the DRY-Z-AIR product since it's such a great solution for stored cars.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:12 PM
Lemikson
Rennlist Member

I think I have a few 303 Carpet cleaner bottles at the shop if you want me to add it to our store? I might also look into selling the DRY-Z-AIR product since it's such a great solution for stored cars.
Sounds good. Glad that it is Sunbrella approved as my patio furniture is with that fabric. Worth every penny! Let me know when it's in your e-store and I will give it a try.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:55 PM
Lemikson
Rennlist Member

Shout-out again to THE REFINERY and Gerard for continued support!
With his detailed advise I managed to fairly easy remove window tint that was way too dark to be left.
Thanks Gerard for supporting DIY Rennlist members. Much appreciated.
Mile

Old 08-21-2020, 12:02 AM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Happy to help! Glad it worked out for you!!
Old 08-22-2020, 03:31 PM
Uwon
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Removing ceramic coating

How difficult is it to remove ceramic coating at the end of its shiny life or when body/paint repair is required?
TIA

Quick Reply: [THE REFINERY] Have a car detailing question? Ask The Refinery.