Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 02:59 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Based on experience I'd also put the first country of use aside, unless it spent a considerable time in corrosion prone climates. I have 3 911s, the two 964s were first registered in Singapore, whereas the 996TT is NZ new. I wouldn't put the NZ new car on a pedestal, as they all come from re same factory, it's about use and abuse. That happens in any country. Personally I suspect the problem in NZ is lack of cash to maintain. $32,000 is the ticket to the dance, food and drinks are extra.
Good point John. My general rule is NZ new, which has seen me right in terms of newer euro cars. I would do UK for newer stuff as there is that familiarity seeing service books and being able to find out a bit about their past history relatively easily in these modern times if you want to. Jap imports? Not for me for anything european and newish. I'd do an older 911 if it has been here for ages and has been turned inside out.
As they get older, country of first residence becomes less relevant - Like a 1970 LHD 911.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:03 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Greetings Warwick... My question to you is - are YOU the one who just snagged the blue 964 on TradeMe? cs
It's back on Trademe, unsure why.

While writing this a red C2 drove past me on the Hopetoun bridge. They do look good. You made a great decision Doug
Old 02-23-2014, 03:12 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
It's back on Trademe, unsure why. While writing this a red C2 drove past me on the Hopetoun bridge. They do look good. You made a great decision Doug
Still has "this vehicle is sold" on the listing I was watching.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:25 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Greetings Warwick, and welcome! Couldn't agree more with what John & Maxem have said. Price of admission is step one, step two is getting as much as you can out of Rennlist and this local group of flat-heads, which I've recently fallen in with as well. No point in enumerating the rest as you can probably guess there are many. Depending on how handy you are, a good chunk of the rehab investment can be paid in your time. It's a fun trip. My question to you is - are YOU the one who just snagged the blue 964 on TradeMe? cs
Chris, you could do a lot worse than buy something like this and strip the white c4 to give a track ready car in quick time.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:54 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to blow our own trumpets too much but you've found the most accessible knowledge base on the net for those models, in NZ.
Thats what i was thought too It seems a active board this. last post last night was almost 01:00 and the earliest this morning at 5:30.

My current thinking is that waiting for a good 91+ C2 manual might be a 2 or 3 year wait.
I'm willing to wait for the right car. It will give me more time to do more research and feed my ailment.

If you are in Auckland, then I suggest you come out to Hampton Downs when we are running and ask lots of questions.
I'll keep my eye out. Do you go as part of the porsche club or as part of other events?

Originally Posted by Maxem
Hi Warwick,
I just sold a 90 nz manual coupe in good shape to another gent in the group. The last one I saw up for sale that fitted my requirements of NZ manual C2 coupe was the one I bought, so they are not offered often.
No i've noticed that. I've had my eye on trademe for a while now and good ones are seem to to as rare as rocking horse s**t

Greetings Warwick, and welcome!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Maxem
My question to you is - are YOU the one who just snagged the blue 964 on TradeMe?
No it wasn't me I'm very curious as to why it was so cheap, even for a reasonably high miler. If you don't have TM on an intravenous drip it seems you will miss out

Originally Posted by nzskater
While writing this a red C2 drove past me on the Hopetoun bridge.
I may have seem that car too. I made a point to follow it over the bridge. The one i saw was a rose-red c4
Old 02-23-2014, 04:13 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The mobile app is the game changer. I (over)use it due to the quick notification of posts. Plus we know each other past the anonymous posts.

We are mostly Porsche Club members, but formed a group to get more track time than the club organises. Most of us are long term Porsche nuts with significant knowledge of the cars. Well at least we knows what costs are to fix some of them!

The red C2 never made it to Trademe and that's what you risk by using that as a selection source.

Personally I believe buying advice has moved past the earlier bogies of flywheels, gaskets etc. it's now about condition as items like oil lines can cost more than a clutch to fix.

By all means educate yourself online, but you will advance the effort by months if you see us at HD.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:18 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Macca, I'm still very much a novice. In 12 or so events I have yet to have anything more than a squirrelly tail while driving. No spins, no offs, no close calls with other cars. Yes, I'm smooth and increasingly faster, but I'm not confident of my ability to react instinctively when a misread occurs. On the track I can control the environment more than I can on the road. Time and tuition will bridge the skill gap. Even then I suspect the red mist will descend and I'll have a Paul type attitude i.e. close car action is what will float my boat. I'm doing research on 2k cup as an entry point there.
Fair call John. I must confess I didnt seek to find sideways in the 993 over the years. However after a wet Puke PCNZ DE in 2003 and a few other wet driving moments I confess to not finding it as intimidating any more. Infact in a controlled environment it can be damn right fun. I think we need to find a big empty carpark on the SITT, set up some basic "cones" and all have some fun practising driving the 911 on opposite lock! Once you break the psychological "oversteer barrier" in the 911 then you have a much greater chance of driving these cars fast. We are all told how punishing they can be on the limit so typically fear prevents us trying them on the limit, but in the right conditions you and see that limit and play on either side of it without reprise and this gives you a huge sense of empowerment IMO....
Old 02-23-2014, 04:29 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

The mobile app is the game changer. I (over)use it due to the quick notification of posts. Plus we know each other past the anonymous posts.

We are mostly Porsche Club members, but formed a group to get more track time than the club organises. Most of us are long term Porsche nuts with significant knowledge of the cars. Well at least we knows what costs are to fix some of them!

The red C2 never made it to Trademe and that's what you risk by using that as a selection source.

Personally I believe buying advice has moved past the earlier bogies of flywheels, gaskets etc. it's now about condition as items like oil lines can cost more than a clutch to fix.

By all means educate yourself online, but you will advance the effort by months if you see us at HD.
Exactly why i've joined Rennlist. While the amount of knowledge online is vast but it puts us in contact with real, local people who want to share and help others.

I'll keep my eye out for visits to HD. I've tracked bikes there before (oddly while i lived in christchurch) but never driven it. I like the elevation changes but it needs to be longer and have more left hand turns
Old 02-23-2014, 04:31 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Warwick. Welcome to the board. John gives some very sage advice above. Buy on condition and provenance not colour, model year or country of first registration for a 964. They are very reasonable to buy in NZ but budget 10K to get them to a nice reliable driving condition as few are maintained as well as the cars on this board. Forget model year for the C2, these are impossible enough to find on their own let alone trying to narrow it down to a model year. All the pre '91 oil leaks and DMF clutch issues have been sorted by now. Realistically Id say you have a range of perhaps 20-30 suitable cars in the country to choose from, but most of these will not change hands or will do so privately , so you will have to jump quickly when one comes up. Im pretty sure youll find something inside of 18 months, probably less if you are lucky, most people loose interest before then and buy a latter model car (996/997) as their prices are constantly falling and they do represent great value....best of luck.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:31 PM
PHG
Racer

Greetings Warwick. The big dilemma.. Air sucker or water cooled.. I went modern/water cooled to scratch my itch, and this good gang of P Nuts still talk to me. Look forward to meeting you sometime
Old 02-23-2014, 04:37 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Macca, there in lies the difficulty with the C4. In some of my videos Dave is quite a lot more tail happy. I've not been able to find that edge and control it. I'm not sure I want to as I sense it would be a bad outcome (less controllable in a slide).
Old 02-23-2014, 04:46 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Daves always more tail happy John. usually cause he has those old R compounds on the car he picked up cheap. They are probably heat cycled LOL!

Seriously those the C4 isnt much more sticky than the base C2. It doesn't direct alot of power up front and only when it detects slip so in the dry it drives like a 85%+ C2. I dont think it would be hard to make it step out, steer straight, sudden left then hard on the right lock under gas and that tail will arc out nicely, holding it there is switching lock and feathering gas - essentially driving on the throttle. The guys on here who have done the Mt Cotton stuff spent plenty of sideways time and its really the best way to learn power on oversteer. Hiding behind the 1990s tech 4WD system as a potential reason for being safer on road and track is a fallacy IMO. That car will still catch you out if over driven, mistake made, wet track, loss of adehesion etc so better know whats coming before it does. On the NITT I avoided a fairly significant oversteer situation by Tony in front of me in Petes C4. Im also pretty sure Pete had a similar moment himself a few weeks before on a damp HD day. You are already a very smooth and measured driver from what I am seeing, so this is great as 911s dont like jerky inputs. I thin k you are building up to be a very strong consistent and fast track driver, taking your time but building up in layers ) again I use the Newman vs McQueen analogy) but I do think its your fear of what the car will do on the limit thats holding you back the last 5% so maybe you need to put those demons to rest? I reckon we can have fun on a big bit of run off somewhere and a slightly damp surface during the SITT and all learn something new...
Old 02-23-2014, 04:59 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Z221s are probably counterproductive in that regard, they just stick. New shoes for Wednesday. Time attack on turns 2 though 4. Not going to risk attacking turn 1 when I need the car in one piece for the next month.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:12 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PHG
Greetings Warwick. The big dilemma.. Air sucker or water cooled.. I went modern/water cooled to scratch my itch, and this good gang of P Nuts still talk to me. Look forward to meeting you sometime
Hi i've always fancied the aircooled cars. I remember the first time i saw a green 993 turbo 4s. I haven't forgot the feeling to this day. I saw another in the Czech Rep last year and it gave me the same feeling. Actually it was one of the more lasting memories from that trip.

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi Warwick. Welcome to the board. John gives some very sage advice above. Buy on condition and provenance not colour, model year or country of first registration for a 964. They are very reasonable to buy in NZ but budget 10K to get them to a nice reliable driving condition as few are maintained as well as the cars on this board. Forget model year for the C2, these are impossible enough to find on their own let alone trying to narrow it down to a model year. All the pre '91 oil leaks and DMF clutch issues have been sorted by now. Realistically Id say you have a range of perhaps 20-30 suitable cars in the country to choose from, but most of these will not change hands or will do so privately , so you will have to jump quickly when one comes up. Im pretty sure youll find something inside of 18 months, probably less if you are lucky, most people loose interest before then and buy a latter model car (996/997) as their prices are constantly falling and they do represent great value....best of luck.
Thanks Macca. That's great info. I was figuring on +/- 10k to bring a car up to good driving standard. I never really fancied a 996. Perhaps a 997 but i'm in no hurry so will hang in there.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:13 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Good idea John. Car preservation first. Looks like we have lost he Mitchels due to Barbs broken ankle, and possibly Richard due to the GT3 being out of action (though he may still bring something else). We not need any mechanical failures or track mishaps in the next few weeks taking folk out.

Yes the Z221 are too hard to easily unstick for sideways practice but the street tyres you are touring with will be perfect...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?