Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Rennlist Asia-Pacific (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-asia-pacific-100/)
-   -   Any Rennlisters from New Zealand? (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-asia-pacific/246405-any-rennlisters-from-new-zealand.html)

O2GO 02-04-2014 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by John McM (Post 11102421)
Doug, the 964 is on the move price wise. Depreciation = ZERO. http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...-coupe/2022659

Yes that makes a good one pretty compelling. Working out how I could have 3 p-cars garaged. I think the Cayenne may have to go but I'm struggling to face selling her to make more room. I'm lusting over Dave's 64. Spent time last night pouring over it and making the dogs in the street bark. Lots to think about over this coming long weekend.

Macca 02-04-2014 02:41 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Yip. 45 Days from Germany. From Southhampton it would have been only 38 days. Its a RORO transporter. I believe its bringing some of EMDs GT3 with it!

O2GO 02-04-2014 02:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by peterC2S (Post 11104147)
Yep - remember that. Must have been just before the carless day stickers....!

If the Cayman 987.2 has the same dials as my Boxster 987.1 then the analogue speedo isnt very helpful. There's about a thumbs width between 100k and 160k. The digital speedo is large, centred on the rev counter in the middle. I rarely look at the analog speedo for that reason.

Macca 02-04-2014 03:02 AM

Doug isnt wrong. Hated digital instruments all my life till I got into the GT3 and never looked at the analogue dials once, barring the Tacho. Couldnt even see the speedo properly. Large Digitial digits embedded into the Tacho is what I used and set the side dial up with a digital sisplay of water temp, oil temp and oil pressure (air cooled die hard) or tyre PMS screen (I used this to correlate direct to tyre temps).....times are a changin. I doubt youll look at the speedo much dial Pete, although I appreciate it needs to be done for resale etc...

peterC2S 02-04-2014 03:20 AM

Doug - appreciate the photos. Guys you are making some sense here. Since it doesn't need to be done and given the prominence of the digital read, I'm tending to the idea of leaving it for now.

O2GO 02-04-2014 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by peterC2S (Post 11104221)
Doug - appreciate the photos. Guys you are making some sense here. Since it doesn't need to be done and given the prominence of the digital read, I'm tending to the idea of leaving it for now.

If it bothers you, it can be done later. I'll put money on you not caring after a couple of days :-)

kiwi 911 02-04-2014 03:51 AM

I want it..........

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...xperiment=true

Macca 02-04-2014 03:55 AM

Bloody awesome. Not sure the NZ compliance guy would agree tho...

peterC2S 02-04-2014 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Macca (Post 11104237)
Bloody awesome. Not sure the NZ compliance guy would agree tho...

Not really an issue as a racecar? Only a problem if you wanted to road register.

That's about the same cost as an SVP cayman conversion on a cheap donor. Looks the business for sure.

John McM 02-04-2014 04:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna (Post 11104196)
Yes that makes a good one pretty compelling. Working out how I could have 3 p-cars garaged. I think the Cayenne may have to go but I'm struggling to face selling her to make more room. I'm lusting over Dave's 64. Spent time last night pouring over it and making the dogs in the street bark. Lots to think about over this coming long weekend.

Been dealing with Herman's shark fin tonight. To any other 964 owners, the fin is detached by undoing the two screws under the fin and then undoing the two bolts in the wheel well. You DON'T pull the fin off its clips. Otherwise they go loose and eventually fail. Non 964 owners do not know how hard it is to get one looking like this after some gorilla has been in there before.

As for potential 964 ownership, I think you are heading in the absolutely right direction with Dave's car. You can pat the Boxster goodbye and join Herman and I on the epic Tour, safe in the knowledge the 964 is built like a tank and that car has been sorted. Many of is with suspect suspensions would love to start with everything sorted for cents on the dollar.

John McM 02-04-2014 04:40 AM

Cont. when you get back the Boxster will be on pristine condition. When you go to the track you just get in the track tyre and race pad equipped car and go. No changing wheels and pads every three or four weeks.

Macca 02-04-2014 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by peterC2S (Post 11104248)
Not really an issue as a racecar? Only a problem if you wanted to road register.

That's about the same cost as an SVP cayman conversion on a cheap donor. Looks the business for sure.

No WOF & Rego excludes it from Targa NZ, Targa Bambina and Targa Sprint. Those are three of the events I would have though the car was most suited too. Plus you have to trailer it to the track. Great for HD but ask Chris about Manfield...long way from home on a trailer if you want to do a track tour with your buddies.

Runtothehills 02-04-2014 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna (Post 11104196)

Here's another reason Doug. How the 964 handles after sorting the suspension. Ive had new suspension on the to do list since I first got the 64 and it's taken me this long to decide on what to get and how to get it. After settling on the kwv3s and getting it back from conti's and peter elders world famous alignment today I feel like the car is setup like it should have been from day one. The difference is otherworldly, pin sharp handling. Zero body roll (on the street) yet no crashing or harshness over bumps. The settings are at factory recommendations until I get some further want to tune it harder. Not sure what others have dialled in but the starting point is front rebound: 8/16 front bump 6/12. Rear rebound 6/16. Rear bump 6/12. This should be a mandatory change, even a factory 20+ year recall!

Attachment 803021

The goodies fresh from the UK in all their gaudy goodness

Attachment 803022

Runtothehills 02-04-2014 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by John McM (Post 11104250)
Been dealing with Herman's shark fin tonight. To any other 964 owners, the fin is detached by undoing the two screws under the fin and then undoing the two bolts in the wheel well. You DON'T pull the fin off its clips. Otherwise they go loose and eventually fail. Non 964 owners do not know how hard it is to get one looking like this after some gorilla has been in there before. As for potential 964 ownership, I think you are heading in the absolutely right direction with Dave's car. You can pat the Boxster goodbye and join Herman and I on the epic Tour, safe in the knowledge the 964 is built like a tank and that car has been sorted. Many of is with suspect suspensions would love to start with everything sorted for cents on the dollar.

Time for another 'how to' in the air cooled section, Followed your scuttle replacement one over the weekend, took longer than I thought and all I can say is you can't use too much lube to get that job done.

Macca 02-04-2014 05:15 AM

Sam, that looks god damn jaw droppingly beautiful! It has to be the most stunning 964 in the group now. The stnace and height is just perfect! Without doubt you will drop 2 seconds next time at HD I guarantee it. The confidence this set up will give you alone will make it seem faster still.

Great worth, worth every penny...