Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Rennlist Asia-Pacific (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-asia-pacific-100/)
-   -   Any Rennlisters from New Zealand? (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-asia-pacific/246405-any-rennlisters-from-new-zealand.html)

O2GO 01-05-2014 05:37 PM

5 Attachment(s)
A few posts ago I invited any keen p-car rennlist drivers in the area (Auckland North) to join me for some of Northland's best East Coast runs. This morning I got going earlyish (7:30am) for the ~40 minute run each way from Oakura Bay to Russell. No traffic, good twisty b-road with no traffic. It was stunning with the cicadas blaring and some drop dead gorgeous views of the isolated coast and also the Bay of Islands. I hand held 1 minute of video on my phone to give you a feel for the road. Bit tricky driving like that. Also took a few pics along the way. Next weekend and for the following week we have capacity for another couple at our beach front bach if you want to do some great b-road driving in paradise http://www.oakura.beachescape.co.nz. PM me
http://maps.google.com/maps/api/stat...00&sensor=true

Image 3 is of Oakura Bay this morning at about 5:45am (note to self, wait for each image to upload before starting to upload the next one to preserve the correct order) the last image is Long Bay, just over the hill behind Russell

peterC2S 01-05-2014 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna (Post 11026526)
Hey Pete, Porsche are coming out with a Spider/Cayman R sport suspension option for the 981. http://www.pistonheads.com/roadtests...p?c=47&i=26243

Interesting

Hmmm - wonder if they will bring out a genuine 'R/Spyder' variant of the 981. Bringing out a suspension option feels like a halfway house - no additional lightweight panels, no engine upgrade etc. IMO the 987 shape lent itself to those varaints - or maybe that's just because we've seen them and can visualise them. Unsure how the 981 would translate to a hardcore version - though not doubt it could be done. You may have to wait a couple more years!

O2GO 01-05-2014 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by peterC2S (Post 11027711)
Hmmm - wonder if they will bring out a genuine 'R/Spyder' variant of the 981. Bringing out a suspension option feels like a halfway house - no additional lightweight panels, no engine upgrade etc. IMO the 987 shape lent itself to those varaints - or maybe that's just because we've seen them and can visualise them. Unsure how the 981 would translate to a hardcore version - though not doubt it could be done. You may have to wait a couple more years!

Reading up on the Spider over the last week, while a brilliant car, it was reported to be commercially unsuccessful for PAG due to slow sales of them. Now this comment is just RL members opinions and take it as that. Mean time there is talk in the community about the future Cayman R and Spider. So anything could happen.

In terms of light weight opportunities, the 981 already has all the light weight panels :-). IMO the only extra weight loss would come from the umbrella hood, aircon delete, stereo delete, CF seats, lw wheels, ceramic brakes, and lw door linings. The 981 S on paper is only 45kgs heavier than the 987 spider (PAG stats which maybe comparing std boxster factory spec (ac and stereo etc) vs std spider spec (no a/c no stereo) wheras most spiders were made with a/c and stereo added back. So, with the new chassis and body panels on the 981 using lw alloys and aluminium there may mot be much weight difference (wishful thinking on my part).

I'd kill for a 981 spider with an electric roof but it wont happen. They save too much weight and lower the COG with the umbrella roof for the engineers to agree to loose it. With the newer chassis/body panel technologies its getting harder to loose weight without going to expensive CF.

Meanwhile we wait and speculate :-)

kiwi 911 01-05-2014 07:03 PM

Stunning photos Doug, you really capture the essence of driving in NZ and really take full benefit of owning a boxter (top down motoring), I was lucky enough to drive a 2.7 2007 boxter about 2 weeks ago on behalf of the guy who sold me my 993, and man.........what a fab little car to drive. I actually quite liked the 2.7 as you had to 'peddle it' to make the car work, and it was very enjoyable.........

Some of us are back at work full time today :-(

Macca 01-05-2014 07:16 PM

John many thanks for yesterday. It was really good catching up with some of the RSG team. Never enough time as always. Really nice to meet Mike too - always good to have another (multiple!) 993 owner in the fold. Actually 993 ownership in the group is on the rise, not a bad thing, I need a buyer audience for all my take off parts LOL!

Doug. Great pics and vid mate. Awesome weather and perfect roads for a boxster this time of year!

Regards the spyder. If what they are saying about slow sales is true then its an even bigger support for rising future values. I think they are about as close to a sure thing as you will get so far in terms of future residuals for the boxster/cayman range to date since launch in 1996. The next best bet is the CaymanR. I know a guy in the UK and one in the states that track these and have shaved around 50kg off them (just with seats and wheels) but a half cage in with a harness and some track rubber and again are capable of scaring stock 996 GT3s on the track. Very capable and well balanced.

My gut feel is they will make a 981 Cayman R for sure (it was a success) and I reckon a spyder too. It will recover that 45kg of growth fat, lower COG, small engine tweak and maybe improved software from the 991 GT3 for the electronic steering (a huge improvement from what he journos tell me - I had nothing to compare it too other than the 993, and compared to an early aircooled hydraulic rack 911 it definitely had less feedback and feel).

IMO if you are going to treat yourself you should consider buying a brand new 981 CaymanR or Spyder from the factory as I did, driving it in Europe for a month or two, shipping it home and you will still not be out of pocket even considering a 40K trip, plus major bucket list tick and childhood dream. Something like a new Spyder or cayman R will not depreciate so quickly, so for 150K Kiwi you get a European trip of a lifetime and a car that may be worth 100K in 5 years time but has given you thrills at track, touring and backroads for many 10s x 1000 km and has huge sentimental merit and strong residuals. You really cant beat their roads as the guys will attest seeing some of the vids yesterday, plus they have a very lax view of speed (didnt see a traffic cop on the whole trip) and on the autostrada and autobahn you are free to roam at speed without impunity (unless conditions or road works persist).

Just an idea, its how my idea started, you can spend 120K on a decent 964 hotrod revival or you can drive your pants off with your loved one in the hills above Nice and Rapello for a month or two and still get all the NZ driving you want done with the car. Theres nothing I wouldnt do again other than if I were picky asking for it to have been warmer and longer!

John McM 01-05-2014 08:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna (Post 11027708)
A few posts ago I invited any keen p-car rennlist drivers in the area (Auckland North) to join me for some of Northland's best East Coast runs. This morning I got going earlyish (7:30am) for the ~40 minute run each way from Oakura Bay to Russell. No traffic, good twisty b-road with no traffic. It was stunning with the cicadas blaring and some drop dead gorgeous views of the isolated coast and also the Bay of Islands. I hand held 1 minute of video on my phone to give you a feel for the road. Bit tricky driving like that. Also took a few pics along the way. Next weekend and for the following week we have capacity for another couple at our beach front bach if you want to do some great b-road driving in paradise http://www.oakura.beachescape.co.nz. PM me Video Link: http://youtu.be/IQMnn9RhDHE Image 3 is of Oakura Bay this morning at about 5:45am (note to self, wait for each image to upload before starting to upload the next one to preserve the correct order) the last image is Long Bay, just over the hill behind Russell

Very nice Doug. I suggest you use the same filming technique on the track....I'll keep up with you that way!

BTW I just bought a $25 holder from Dick Smith that I think will hold the phone with less movement. My other one had a long bendy arm that bounced.

John McM 01-05-2014 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Macca (Post 11027964)
John many thanks for yesterday. It was really good catching up with some of the RSG team. Never enough time as always

Macca, always good to get the guys together. Easy to host, everyone contributed and there was minimal cleanup. Great to see the raw video. I'm going to practice my GoPro techniques this weekend. Unfortunately the harness bar is 40mm so it doesn't appear the GoPro attachment will fit. Need to look at alternatives.

peterC2S 01-05-2014 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by kiwi 911 (Post 11027919)
Some of us are back at work full time today :-(

Bummer eh?!:(

John McM 01-05-2014 08:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by John McM (Post 11022646)
You forgot the harness. I'm a bit p'd off. I want to use it throughout the trip, but now I'm told its illegal to use them on the open road.

Update. I bought a Sabelt 4 point harness to replace the one Steve lent to me. The guy told me that the one Steve had lent me IS road legal as it has a seat belt lap fixture. I was tempted to buy one but went with a four point harness that can take another strap for a sub belt, plus it's 3 inch which should spread the shoulder load. I got it in stealth black.

kiwi 911 01-05-2014 09:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My 993 will not be used on the track - Yeah Right!

For the record, Craig said this car did a mid 1.18 at Manfield, so circa 1.20 when you apply the 2 second rule for HD??

peterC2S 01-05-2014 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by kiwi 911 (Post 11028226)
My 993 will not be used on the track - Yeah Right!

For the record, Craig said this car did a mid 1.18 at Manfield, so circa 1.20 when you apply the 2 second rule for HD??

Stance was nicer back then too :icon107:

Shame its just a DD now though.... :roflmao:

peterC2S 01-05-2014 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by John McM (Post 11028094)
Update. I bought a Sabelt 4 point harness to replace the one Steve lent to me. The guy told me that the one Steve had lent me IS road legal as it has a seat belt lap fixture. I was tempted to buy one but went with a four point harness that can take another strap for a sub belt, plus it's 3 inch which should spread the shoulder load. I got it in stealth black.

That looks really clean John - I didn't realise the red ones were on loan - thought you were trying to carry some of the outside red to inside. That must be it for now?

John McM 01-05-2014 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by peterC2S (Post 11028367)
That looks really clean John - I didn't realise the red ones were on loan - thought you were trying to carry some of the outside red to inside. That must be it for now?

Yellow matches nicely with the Momo wheel. Enough red for now, except to Plastidip the rest of the Frankenstein D90s. It is pretty much it for now. Just got a package from Tore, my T-lock remote door lock module. No more using keys in the doors. When I've fitted that I'm done on upgrades for a while. That said the harness supplier gave me brochures on Brembo pads and KW coil overs....

O2GO 01-05-2014 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by John McM (Post 11028064)
Very nice Doug. I suggest you use the same filming technique on the track....I'll keep up with you that way! BTW I just bought a $25 holder from Dick Smith that I think will hold the phone with less movement. My other one had a long bendy arm that bounced.

John, I've been looking for one. Like that. My one might be the same as your old one, same manufacturer but a bendy arm about 150mom long that causes it to vibrate/shake during cornering. I'll try Dick Smith next time I'm near by. Thanks.

O2GO 01-05-2014 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by John McM (Post 11028402)
Yellow matches nicely with the Momo wheel. Enough red for now, except to Plastidip the rest of the Frankenstein D90s. It is pretty much it for now. Just got a package from Tore, my T-lock remote door lock module. No more using keys in the doors. When I've fitted that I'm done on upgrades for a while. That said the harness supplier gave me brochures on Brembo pads and KW coil overs....

Yes, the black looks good with the black interior too. Nice.