Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Rennlist Asia-Pacific (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-asia-pacific-100/)
-   -   Any Rennlisters from New Zealand? (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-asia-pacific/246405-any-rennlisters-from-new-zealand.html)

Maxem 01-21-2014 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by John McM (Post 11067816)
Good. I knew revving the C4 each time I went past your house would keep you on track (pun intended).

The family knows the sound and have stopped getting up to see, but I still run to the window and stand to attention.

ChrisB_NZ 01-21-2014 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Macca (Post 11067340)
Dean has confirmed today any tyre shop can fit tyres to Centre Lock wheels, so fresh set can be couriered to Queens-town in advance to be fitted whilst there (Steve Mitchel who is on the tour luckily has the 600nm torque wrench and torque multiplier bar needed to get the wheels off). That's one additional nightmare that could have a solution, the tyres on the car will be shagged after Teterongia I would think.

Anyone know a good tyre shop in Queenstown?

Pete and I are working with Steve to finalise the tyre logistics for SITT and will have a Queenstown contact. Steve is just confirming with his contacts.

John McM 01-21-2014 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ (Post 11067903)
John, well set-up. Did the wheels spin up okay?

I asked them to fit and balance. My wife hasn't passed on any negative news (yet).

O2GO 01-21-2014 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by John McM (Post 11065644)
Alternator issue sealed it. I'm taking the most sorted car and the C4 has now been through every system in the last year. The Turbo 3.6 hasn't been tested anything like the C4 and I've decided to take the least risk option.

Great justification for changing your mind. John, Michael is still right, you have too much choice :-P

O2GO 01-21-2014 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by John McM (Post 11066440)
In the meantime my wife is off getting those Z221s mounted on the rims.

Nice :-)

Macca 01-21-2014 01:34 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks Chris. Keep me informed. Someone reliable who wont damage 20" CL rims is all Im asking for LOL!

When you have dates and other info for the tyre logistics let us know on the RSG board.

John. The only reason I think it could be the ducktail is that this was an issue for a few 993 guys who ran the ducktail at the track a few years back. Its not the concept its the flick on the back - its creates a pocket of negative pressure once a particular speed it reached which prevents air actually entering the grill and circulating past the intake manifold and airbox. I remeber what it looks like and can draw it for you. I did about 100 hours research on aero dynamic for the 993 until I was exhausted. My single purchase was the RUF A pillar aero blades which Ive had for 3 years an love (reduced buffeting noise form A pillar at speed)!

Here are a few pictures of the affect on the 993TT with the red arrows being negative pressure. The RUF pillar pieces reduce the front A pillar issues but the front turbo bumper I suspect causes more issues though does improve cooling to the left and right oil and air con radiators. The affect of the ducktail as I saw it written was more aggressive than the flick of the 993 Turbo tail and due to elevation of teh blade actually disturbed the airflow to the point it created a pressure lock in the seat of the blade. The factory later admitted with the 2.7 that the ductail reduced CD and was of no benefit to the performance adding only a small amount of rear down-force.

Its just one hunch as to why you are running hot when others dont seem to be noticing such a change...

Macca 01-21-2014 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna (Post 11067975)
Great justification for changing your mind. John, Michael is still right, you have too much choice :-P

The C4 is the go John. I think you will regret not taking it in the SITT too. there's nothing much left to break on the car and what there is can be fixed on the fly by Daniel/Steve not like a 996TT/997/991 etc. Just a thought....

kiwi 911 01-21-2014 03:32 AM

Who do we notify at prestigio insurance about the Monday Puke day? Do you have the standard email address??

kiwi 911 01-21-2014 03:34 AM

Talking about insurance - Chris B, if memory serves me correct, you said that you have spoken to Prestigio about using 221's on the track and they frowned as it needed to be a road tire - can you elaborate on this please??

ChrisB_NZ 01-21-2014 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ (Post 11067911)
I have used the 214's for about 18 months now on the 944 and they are excellent, brilliant grip in the dry and cheap, but very limited when it gets wet. I run Hankook racing wets in the rain and they are excellent, but you need plenty of rain or you kill them in one session.

Originally Posted by kiwi 911 (Post 11068097)
Who do we notify at prestigio insurance about the Monday Puke day? Do you have the standard email address??

You notify your broker.

ChrisB_NZ 01-21-2014 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by kiwi 911 (Post 11068100)
Talking about insurance - Chris B, if memory serves me correct, you said that you have spoken to Prestigio about using 221's on the track and they frowned as it needed to be a road tire - can you elaborate on this please??

Not me, I've never personally spoken with them. I've never heard of them calling out specific tyres, just stating that the car has to be in a warrantable state while on the track.

Macca 01-21-2014 03:56 AM

Paul. Z221 meets Depart of Transportation (DOT) rating as an official Road tyre. The WOF can be issued with Z221 as long as the required tread is available (questionable unless less than 50% used)...

John McM 01-21-2014 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna (Post 11067979)
Nice :-)

FYI $100 to fit 4 tyres on bare rims at Tyres Plus in Newmarket. They last fitted Michelin's to the 996 for $125, where they had to remove the old ones first. Great service.

John McM 01-21-2014 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Macca (Post 11068023)
The C4 is the go John. I think you will regret not taking it in the SITT too. there's nothing much left to break on the car and what there is can be fixed on the fly by Daniel/Steve not like a 996TT/997/991 etc. Just a thought....

I don't want to have issues so it has to be my most tested car. I think the 996TT would be more comfortable, but I do want this to be a bucket list trip so oldest car and longest distance scores points with me. The tyre strategy works as well. One set of 221s to the Cape and back to Auckland, then swap them out for a new set and on to the rest of the SITT. No wheels to transport and I get my preferred tyre the whole way.

John McM 01-21-2014 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Macca (Post 11067983)
Thanks Chris. Keep me informed. Someone reliable who wont damage 20" CL rims is all Im asking for LOL! When you have dates and other info for the tyre logistics let us know on the RSG board. John. The only reason I think it could be the ducktail is that this was an issue for a few 993 guys who ran the ducktail at the track a few years back. Its not the concept its the flick on the back - its creates a pocket of negative pressure once a particular speed it reached which prevents air actually entering the grill and circulating past the intake manifold and airbox. I remeber what it looks like and can draw it for you. I did about 100 hours research on aero dynamic for the 993 until I was exhausted. My single purchase was the RUF A pillar aero blades which Ive had for 3 years an love (reduced buffeting noise form A pillar at speed)! Here are a few pictures of the affect on the 993TT with the red arrows being negative pressure. The RUF pillar pieces reduce the front A pillar issues but the front turbo bumper I suspect causes more issues though does improve cooling to the left and right oil and air con radiators. The affect of the ducktail as I saw it written was more aggressive than the flick of the 993 Turbo tail and due to elevation of teh blade actually disturbed the airflow to the point it created a pressure lock in the seat of the blade. The factory later admitted with the 2.7 that the ductail reduced CD and was of no benefit to the performance adding only a small amount of rear down-force. Its just one hunch as to why you are running hot when others dont seem to be noticing such a change...

Interesting. Now I need my own data to see what my real world issue is.