Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Rennlist Asia-Pacific (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-asia-pacific-100/)
-   -   Any Rennlisters from New Zealand? (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-asia-pacific/246405-any-rennlisters-from-new-zealand.html)

John McM 12-31-2013 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by kiwi 911 (Post 11015899)
Ever wondered what a 993 cost new in 1995............

$219,990?

kiwi 911 12-31-2013 11:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by John McM (Post 11016015)
$219,990?

Not a bad guess...........$221K, less some sort of special discount which made the car $200K.

Taking inflation into consideration, Porsche 911's have come down considerably in cost, I reckon you could buy a base model 991 C2 for circa $220K??

I have also discovered my car has had some track time with a TL Cert for PSS9's and a racing seat....!!!!

I just double checked under the car - but looks like PSS9's are long gone............

Macca 12-31-2013 11:56 PM

Could this be the car Craig Loveridge was driving in Bridgestone? If so then it also originally had 993RS adjustable sway bars fitted which were removed with the PSS9s and sold (to me). Jamie and I spoke of this car and driver earlier in this thread about 6 weeks ago. We couldnt figure where the car may have gone but I thought it went to CHCH and got turned into a Motec car. Memory is rusty. Jamies will recall from conversation on here.....easy to find out if I had my PCNZ magazine library at hand. Paul you should easily beable to dig this up via the club. If its the car Craig did great times in that car at Manfield from the conversation I was having with Jamie, 1.18s with only moderate mods (weight reduction, full suspension, r tyres & geo etc).

David Bainbridge first owner. Thats sounds familiar. Was he a murderer?

The car had 500km on it when it sold. It may have been bought by the dealer as a demo hence teh discount passed down 500km is too high for a factory new car and the waiting time would have been 6 months back then at least. Id say this was ex demo. The dealers have never discounted Porsches even back then and to good clients (other than discounting options).

You are right Paul. 221KNZD makes a 991 GT3 these days seem like a bargain. In relative terms a new GT3 today is less than 1/2 the price a 993 Carrera was in 1994. Infact my 991 GT3 base car (without any options) would be just under that NZ$$ price today landed on the road! I think a NZ new "base" model 991S is maybe around 230K today but youll always have to spend at least 10-20K on options to make it resell-able.

mikee6421 01-01-2014 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by kiwi 911 (Post 11016262)
Not a bad guess...........$221K, less some sort of special discount which made the car $200K.

Taking inflation into consideration, Porsche 911's have come down considerably in cost, I reckon you could buy a base model 991 C2 for circa $220K??

I have also discovered my car has had some track time with a TL Cert for PSS9's and a racing seat....!!!!

I just double checked under the car - but looks like PSS9's are long gone............

Re discount, was it perhaps a demo? (500k under Odometer on the invoice...)

John McM 01-01-2014 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by kiwi 911 (Post 11016262)
Not a bad guess...........$221K, less some sort of special discount which made the car $200K. Taking inflation into consideration, Porsche 911's have come down considerably in cost, I reckon you could buy a base model 991 C2 for circa $220K?? I have also discovered my car has had some track time with a TL Cert for PSS9's and a racing seat....!!!! I just double checked under the car - but looks like PSS9's are long gone............

I looked a buying a new 996 when I came back from Vanuatu in 2001 and that price rings a bell. Lucky I enquired through Giltraps by email and they never replied so I ended up buying the Turbo 3.6. I would have done a lot in depreciation by now otherwise.

We didn't get a chance to talk last week at the 993 love in, so I didn't hear the new plan, but seriously what is holding you back from bringing it to Playdays? It's a car meant to be driven. You know the deal with cars, every $ spent above the retail price is gone. I've done $$$ on the C4 and will get it back in a lot of driving over the coming years. It makes no sense to me to throw $10 or $20k into the 993 and 'worship' it. All the better you know now that she's been around the block'!

kiwi 911 01-01-2014 12:03 AM

Correct, it's Craig's car, we have been texting all day............

And I have seen a pic of my car in an old Spiel getting scrutineered.........

kiwi 911 01-01-2014 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Macca (Post 11016335)
If so then it also originally had 993RS adjustable sway bars fitted which were removed with the PSS9s and sold (to me).

Give me back my suspension :crying:

John McM 01-01-2014 12:06 AM

Forgot to mention it makes even less sense knowing how Mike's car drives with a lot more km.

Macca 01-01-2014 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by kiwi 911 (Post 11016351)
Give me back my suspension :crying:

Sure. $3500 you can have back your ARBs LOL! I think these run around $2200 USD before shipping now days!

Craig must have sold it directly on to the guy you bought it from which would explain why it went underground so long. Amazed no one picked it up earlier. It was 13-14 years ago when Craig was using it on the track. I dont think he every hit anything with it so in that regards nothing to worry about. He retired it before it became too full blown racing car....

Cars have never been (relatively) cheaper than they are today.

kiwi 911 01-01-2014 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Macca (Post 11016371)
Craig must have sold it directly on to the guy you bought it from which would explain why it went underground so long. Amazed no one picked it up earlier. It was 13-14 years ago when Craig was using it on the track. I don't think he every hit anything with it so in that regards nothing to worry about. He retired it before it became too full blown racing car....

According to Craig, the car only had suspension and racing seat, the engine was totally stock as I asked if he had chipped it??

Yes Peter purchased the car at 68,000 kms in 2003 and sold to me with 84K, so running at 1.5K p/a for 10 years?? The car is running a lot better with a good service and a few informal Italian tune ups around town.

It needs to be run. My C3 was the same, it had done around 10K over 10 years with the previous owner and ran like crap.

They don't like not being used.

I am putting the 993 onto daily duties at the moment and probably plan a track day in Jan to run at around 7/10's (Dean says a soft track secession may help with the cobwebs).

kiwi 911 01-01-2014 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Macca (Post 11016335)

David Bainbridge first owner. Thats sounds familiar. Was he a murderer?

Or a director of Western Bay Health for several years.......... (not sure you can do this while serving time??)

having a murderer as a previous owner would make for a more interesting story though??

kiwi 911 01-01-2014 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by John McM (Post 11016345)
All the better you know now that she's been around the block'!

Err - you mean the track............

John McM 01-01-2014 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by kiwi 911 (Post 11016434)
I am putting the 993 onto daily duties at the moment and probably plan a track day in Jan to run at around 7/10's (Dean says a soft track secession may help with the cobwebs).

See it on the 11th? Even I will be overtaking you at 7/10s so I'd say you've got the makings of a Tui if you plan to keep to that.

kiwi 911 01-01-2014 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by John McM (Post 11016345)
We didn't get a chance to talk last week at the 993 love in, so I didn't hear the new plan, but seriously what is holding you back from bringing it to Playdays? It's a car meant to be driven. You know the deal with cars, every $ spent above the retail price is gone. I've done $$$ on the C4 and will get it back in a lot of driving over the coming years. It makes no sense to me to throw $10 or $20k into the 993 and 'worship' it. All the better you know now that she's been around the block'!

From personal experience, I do not subscribe to a car being all things (i.e. a road car, a daily commuter, a Sunday shiner and a track car), they are all different things. A GT3 gets pretty close, but is still compromised as the suspension is fundamentally too stiff for daily use and they tram-line on our crap roads, and it's too tempting to stiffen them a little more and lower etc. to find the next 'Macca' or 'Dave' at the track. Who want's to take a stock comfort spec GT3 to the track - everyone will be saying you should have got the Club Sport model?? I see Nigel's 996.1 GT3 (ex Rob Ho) in at Conti's at the moment getting a fab speed cat bypass and ECU flash yesterday as an example - and the arms race continues..........

I brought the 993 as a road car, coz I think they are pretty and the right mix of old school and new school for my taste. 993's are not fast cars or light cars (out of the box).........If I wanted a Play Day car, I should have purchased the RED 996.2 GT3 for a few dollars more and tried to chase Matt, or the Silver 996.1 GT3 hot rod for $105K and smoked Matt......... (and tired to chase Steve) as I understand that car is capable of 1.13's in the right hands. But would you drive it from Alk to Chch and back?? (with the misses in the car??)

So I now have a roadie, the next step is a race car that's striped out and with a cage.

I think the C3 is sold, there are two options for disposal in the wings. I will probably look at getting a 944S2, but are tempted with an older 911 race car - the challenge is getting one that can do a mid 1.16, so I can 'mix-it' with the 944 boys in a Porsche race.......

Decisions - decisions............

I hope this clarifies why I brought the 993 and will not use it as my regular track car (though it will see the track on occasions like the SITT where I can't take 2 cars - but not at 10/10th's).

My philosophy is probably the same as Pete's (he's smart, so I will copy him)................

kiwi 911 01-01-2014 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by John McM (Post 11016449)
See it on the 11th? Even I will be overtaking you at 7/10s so I'd say you've got the makings of a Tui if you plan to keep to that.

OK maybe 8.5/10th's - the road tires will hold me back..........