Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crash: Instructor braces himself with his feet on the dash.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 10:24 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
That's not a tire wall. That's a Kibort tire store.
Now that is funny
Old 05-31-2017, 10:45 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Nope, Mark. I saw 1.55 g sustained at the toe of the boot today in an R7-equipped 964.

There's plenty of corners greater than T8A at Laguna Seca, although that's a good one. I measure 2.25 in a flat bottom forty year old F1 car there. And that is at speeds below the aero threshold.
Eau Rouge? I bet that's a massive compression.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:54 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Nope, Mark. I saw 1.55 g sustained at the toe of the boot today in an R7-equipped 964.

There's plenty of corners greater than T8A at Laguna Seca, although that's a good one. I measure 2.25 in a flat bottom forty year old F1 car there. And that is at speeds below the aero threshold.
Peter, you missed the point entirely. you really think im only talking about raw g loading?
How ever you get warm by mentioning "aero"
think peter.............do i have to spell it out for you?

Again, let me say it again slightly differently....... it is the most heavily weight loaded high g loaded corner (let's exclude F1).

I said this:
Ive seen it at Laguna seca at the exit of the corkscrew. the highest compression 1.5 g loading turn in racing. the high lateral gs with high positive gs, makes for a tremendous amount of stress on the hubs . if you have any slop in the bearings, watch the pedal go to the floor before turn 10.
_______

Clue: the hubs are subjected to the highest sustained lateral forces here.

Originally Posted by mglobe
do you think it compares with a 7 story drop in about 200ft? (along with the g lateral g loading)
i think maybe turn 6 at laguna might be on par with that Spa turn.

Last edited by mark kibort; 05-31-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,085 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Perfect example.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-31-2017, 03:26 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Perfect example.
you understand i was referring to compression AND g loading. the combination is what causes more forces on the hubs.

Here is another hint for.. do you understand my point now?

out of the corkscrew
it's about 4" of compression with 800lb springs I dont think there is another turn in the world that creates this amount of sustained compression without aero forces.
Attached Images  
Old 05-31-2017, 03:50 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Mark, aero forces have to do with speed.

T8A at MRLS is UNDER that "aero threshold," as is the Toe at the Glen, in terms of speed. So no aero "aid."

Eau Rouge is a different story. And the combination of downforce, compression and speed all make the forces acting on the car greater, because of it.

Compression is measured in vertical g force, and having terabytes of collected data from a variety of different cars and more than a hundred tracks, I would put several places up against T8A as having at least as much (or more) compression. More than your stated 1.5g (lateral g measured, without a vertical g component, but augmented by that vertical g)...

I knew what you were talking about, but you missed that...
Old 05-31-2017, 04:48 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 815 Posts

I see a lot of posts have been hidden in my feed. Somebody has been busy...
Old 05-31-2017, 05:22 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

electricsupercharger.com?

-Mike
Old 05-31-2017, 05:51 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXE36
electricsupercharger.com?

-Mike
10hp on your car! on the dyno.... the interesting thing was, unlike any other modification, we could pull it off mid run and watch the HP drop to baseline.
Not sold anymore.. too expensive to make.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:58 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
I dont think there is another turn in the world that creates this amount of sustained compression without aero forces.
Haven't been to Laguna Seca but to name two such corners; Ex-Mühle and the Karousel, both on the Nürburgring's Nordschleife.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:07 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Peter, no it didnt seem you understood what i was talking about.
the point of my post was to incorporate a vertical g loading with a lateral g loading. (usually, this is simlar to an aero loading as far as effect)

you think the toe of the boot has as much of a delta height vs delta time as turn 8a? (aka rate of change vertical speed... aka power ) again, it doesnt matter if it does or not. its the point that with the higher downward force, more g loading can occur, thus putting more load on the hubs. do we agree on that point ???

since we are talking about what is greater, stop talking about F1 vs sports cars. we are talking about Eau rouge, in a sports car where aero downforce is paltry compared to the drop forces of turn8 at laguana. AND the delta height vs delta time is also not as great. I didnt do the calculation yet, but willing to bet you that is the case. provide some evidence to the contrary if you have it.

The fact that you have "measurements"of vertical gs,and referring to them, shows you are not understanding what im talking about. we are not talking about bumps in the road compression. im talking about , as i said clearly, "sustained" compression. talk to any race car team in the country, and talk to them about set up at laguna. most all are concerned about bottoming out at turn8, unlike any other track in the world. whether or not you have evidence to contradict what im talking about......... the point is. these forces act on the hubs and can cause pad push back like no other track in the world. (or maybe if you prove me wrong on that claim, a few others) either way, vertical loads like Dave was suggesting is usually not the cause. (bumps, birms,etc)

your turn!

Mk

T8A at MRLS is UNDER that "aero threshold," as is the Toe at the Glen, in terms of speed. So no aero "aid."

Eau Rouge is a different story. And the combination of downforce, compression and speed all make the forces acting on the car greater, because of it.

Compression is measured in vertical g force, and having terabytes of collected data from a variety of different cars and more than a hundred tracks, I would put several places up against T8A as having at least as much (or more) compression. More than your stated 1.5g (lateral g measured, without a vertical g component, but augmented by that vertical g)...

Old 05-31-2017, 06:18 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Juha G
Haven't been to Laguna Seca but to name two such corners; Ex-Mühle and the Karousel, both on the Nürburgring's Nordschleife.
You have to find a corner that drops you about 50ft and levels in about 100ft and you do this going 40-50mph. that's the compression of the corkscrew at laguna.

the entire point was that the very high compression, allows for the car to have more lateral gs than it could normally generate on a flat , no elevation change turn. this puts more load on the wheel bearings and hubs and can allow the rotor to move and push the pads back.

If you have never gone to laguna seca, some feel their stomach come up their throat their first time ......like a roller coaster. very unique.

so, let's say im wrong that Laguna is the highest compression lateral g loaded turn......... if it isnt the greatest, its one of the top ones. (for non aero -aided turns)
Old 05-31-2017, 06:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Forget it, Mark. It's ONE of the top ones, that's all we said... smh...
Old 05-31-2017, 06:59 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Just a FYI........the toe of the boot has a 90ft elevation change over 1000ft...and then the exit has about the same 90ft going back up in the next 1000ft (toward the boot heel)
the corkscrew has about a 50ft change in only 100ft. this is the main point of why the corkscrew has more compression (sustained) than most any other track i can think of.
Attached Images    
Old 05-31-2017, 07:10 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Forget it, Mark. It's ONE of the top ones, that's all we said... smh...
No, you said a little bit more. getting a little pedantic on me.
you also said there were "plenty of corners greater". show me a few!
you even go so far to mention a specific car, that has never even been to laguna. my bet, and in theory, is that with the extra compression, it should pull more gs in that section of the corkscrew.......do you not agree. (or disagree with the theory or logic?)

Reasons:
1.the drop is greater over a shorter distance
2. the speed is near the same
3. tires grip more with no change in mass of the car, but more downforce (non aero) you know this from tire load sensitivity discussions!
4. then, with regard to the discussion... the forces on mechanics that cause pad knock back, are then greater.

Quick Reply: Crash: Instructor braces himself with his feet on the dash.