Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another run at Lime Rock in the GT4

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 01:13 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

that's the exact hand position i like! its not quite 3-9 oclock, its mor like 2:30/9:30

that is the most amazing racing video ever!!!!!!! thanks for posting.. havent seen that for awhile!

Last edited by mark kibort; 09-26-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:19 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

shaving hairs here, but i just got back from racing thunderhill .. also a very tough track if you have stiff steering. i was thinking about you and your comments about 3-9 oclock and was laughing at my steering wheel that only allows 3-9 oclock being so much harder to drive. the muscles required were in awkward positions for most of the high steering input turns. i had to cheat up on both sides at the "bump" on the momo to get leverage to actually drive the car safely. that position , is normal as seen from the Monaco video and what i used to have in a more horizontal bar across the steering wheel. ( a version most popular now anyway.. That puts your hands at 2:30 and 9:30 which i i believe is most efficient for leverage and control. and as winders says, the most important part is just not moving your hands around and losing center.

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Two schools of thought are prevalent when talking about positioning of hands on the steering wheel. The old school wisdom was to position hands at 10 and 2 o’clock. As air bags became common, this led to the wrist and arm factures when air bags deployed and arms were flung into rearview mirrors or A-pillars. To avoid that occurrence, many safety advocates now recommend positioning hands at 9 and 3 o’clock on the steering wheel.

Hand-over-hand maneuvers during turning should be avoided to prevent arms from being in front of a deploying airbag in the event of a crash. Serious injuries may result during such occurrences.

Last Updated: April 08, 2013

And yes the age of tires matter.
From my point of view the closer I can stay to 9+3 the more possible change I have of recovering. There are different muscle groups that are involved that an informed person to clearly explain.

And your wheel had better be straight when you go up the uphill no matter what gear you are in.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:15 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JP66
Mark,

Joe,

re read my response.. i made some corrections and provided some simple math to show what the gains might be if you used 3rd after the no name straight.

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...l#post13631731
Old 09-27-2016, 02:35 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Here is a fantastic example of how to drive the engine of a GT4 at the track. notice, the RPM is always kept in the 6-7800rpm range. this maximizes HP utilization.
also notice (dave, peter, and anyone questioning grip and control) that the driver goes though one of the most technical high speed turns around , specifically at 6000rpm, turn 6 as he approaches the corkscrew... also notice the S turns (turn 9 and 10) after the corkscrew.. always at 6000rpm to launch when able to go full throttle.

I'm positive the OP can gain as much as peter helped with his line, by just using the engine more effectively. (about a second) Now, flame on .. it's my opinion and backed with some pretty substantial facts and logic. this kind of advice is track independent and driver dependent.

Last edited by mark kibort; 09-27-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:07 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

That's a club sport which has pdk ( quicker shifts) and different gearing than a street pdk....

Not Applicable.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:16 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,299 Likes on 1,874 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcD147
That's a club sport which has pdk ( quicker shifts) and different gearing than a street pdk....

Not Applicable.
^^This^^

MarcD147 beat me to it...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-28-2016, 12:17 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I know, but its easy to see that the engine range is kept in the range im suggesting. at an even more "turney track" like Infinion, you can see i always am keeping the RPM in the highest HP range possible . is the same range that the PDK GT4 was using at LR. for me, its 4500 to 6500... for the GT4, S, or anything with redline at 7700rpm, it would be 6000 to 75-7800rpm . even if you have to be in the turn with part throttle for a little bit.

Go to about 1:25 on the video. thats the back hairpin , leading to 80 to 100mph s's, and then a curving straight, to a 100mph kink and then small straight. you see that max HP is needed for all the exits , even for short times.
this is true for ANY track. dont worry about car stability.... that is NO problem.. thats why you have a gas pedal and not a switch.

the bottom line, a i mentioned about LimeRock... after no name there is 8 seconds (solid 8 seconds) of WOT where 20-50 hp can be gained and thats significant.

check it out this race against a hopped up e36 powered e30. (mickey miller's old ride with an 3.2 motor stuffed in)

Originally Posted by MarcD147

Not Applicable.
Originally Posted by ProCoach
^^This^^

MarcD147 beat me to it...
It would be great to see some data if someone trys this next time out. i have feeling even you might be surprised.

Last edited by mark kibort; 12-06-2016 at 12:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Another run at Lime Rock in the GT4