Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 04:26 PM
mlct
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
^^THIS^^

Mark, I'll try one more time.

Lime Rock is about slowing less, not accelerating more. It's a VERY fast track...

THAT is how you get time at Lime Rock...
Different Mark but I naturally agree, not surprising since Joe and I have had the same coaching, less braking is the way to go. Average speed is 90 MPH for a minute lap. Almost oval like.

In my 07 Boxster S my rev limit is lower than a GT4 at 7300/73 MPH so 2nd would be very tough to pull of in Big Bend and then only for a fraction of an instant. Luigi (aka Todd) and I were just batting this around as we have similar race cars. Maybe through the Left Hander with a quick shift to 3rd after the Right hander but it would have to be very fast. That PDK didn't do it in that well driven R is a telling hint. Wonder what a ClubSport or other faster newer PDK cars do?

Looking at my best 58.07 lap I am embarrassed, maybe encouraged actually, to see I missed a shift going into Big Bend but usually revs do not drop below 4500ish.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:06 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

So, since you are going a little faster in the first section of track, 2nd gear wouldnt help much , if at all. however, after no-name, if you dropped back down to 3rd as i was suggesting the OP to do. (not second as it might have been interpreted to do), you might pick up a little time there as well. redline is 7600 to 7800 for the cayman R or GTS or S, so there is some HP to be gained there.

so, let my advice be more clear. if you were at a slower rate in the early first 3 turns, then 2nd might be worth a try, but if not, certainly the entrances for the uphill straight, downhill and the final straight, all could use a lower gear such as 3rd vs what most are in that ive seen so far, in 4th gear. basically, down one gear after no-name straigth going up the hill.

no shifts , no costs of time.. only added hp for about 11 seconds.

Mark, you are 2000rpm below redline from the end of no-name to 1/4 down the final main straight. or with your speed, maybe shift before the entrance to the final turn. still around 8 seconds of a 50hp gain.

again: dropping down to 3rd at the beginning of uphill gives you 11 seconds of 50 more HP and the OP doesnt reach a speed of more than 90mph until he gets 1/4 of the way down the final straight where he would shift up. I would say, 1/2 seconds for one shift there is worth the 11 seconds of WOT HP gains.
I hope that makes the advice a little clearer.

Originally Posted by mlct
Different Mark but I naturally agree, not surprising since Joe and I have had the same coaching, less braking is the way to go. Average speed is 90 MPH for a minute lap. Almost oval like.

In my 07 Boxster S my rev limit is lower than a GT4 at 7300/73 MPH so 2nd would be very tough to pull of in Big Bend and then only for a fraction of an instant. Luigi (aka Todd) and I were just batting this around as we have similar race cars. Maybe through the Left Hander with a quick shift to 3rd after the Right hander but it would have to be very fast. That PDK didn't do it in that well driven R is a telling hint. Wonder what a ClubSport or other faster newer PDK cars do?

Looking at my best 58.07 lap I am embarrassed, maybe encouraged actually, to see I missed a shift going into Big Bend but usually revs do not drop below 4500ish.

58.074 new best. 11-21-2015 LRDC Season Finale - YouTube

Last edited by mark kibort; 09-22-2016 at 05:25 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 09-22-2016, 05:19 PM
mlct
Racer

Agreed. 3rd vs 4th is a popular debate subject after no Name. I sometimes go to 3rd at the end of No name for the Uphill and then hold red line through and out of West Bend. When I am going a slight bit faster on the Uphill then 4th works all the way though having 3rd out of West Bend is nice. Faster drivers probably use 4th the entire way and I am getting closer to making that work.

I will say that when I was just tooling around slowly in my street Cayman GTS at one event day, my Boxster was in for repair, the PDK did go to 2nd in spots. How smoothly it did its thing had me jumping as I expected the car to move about but it never did.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:29 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Agreed. 3rd vs 4th is a popular debate subject after no Name. I sometimes go to 3rd at the end of No name for the Uphill and then hold red line through and out of West Bend. When I am going a slight bit faster on the Uphill then 4th works all the way though having 3rd out of West Bend is nice. Faster drivers probably use 4th the entire way and I am getting closer to making that work.

I will say that when I was just tooling around slowly in my street Cayman GTS at one event day, my Boxster was in for repair, the PDK did go to 2nd in spots. How smoothly it did its thing had me jumping as I expected the car to move about but it never did.
That makes sense. However, i think even the fast guys can benefit from 3rd after no-name... but as i edited in my last post, probably would want to upshift before lifting for the final turn down the main straight. i dont see much gain there for you or the other fast guys as well. i mean, heck, you are WOT after no-name, and you are never under 1800rpm under redline. if you look a the HP graphs, thats quite a bit of WOT power leaving on the table.
be interesting to see the video of you doing this next time (at least for a lap!)
Old 09-22-2016, 05:33 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 911 Likes on 445 Posts

Lime Rock is about slowing less, not accelerating more. It's a VERY fast track...

THAT is how you get time at Lime Rock...
Wait a second. If you want to be as fast as possible around ANY track, you want to slow as little as possible and accelerate as hard as possible. Your text makes it sound like you are saying that is not true about Lime Rock. That cannot be the case.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:35 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

hands at 2 & 10 ?. I don't think so.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:36 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
hands at 2 & 10 ?. I don't think so.
2 and 10 or 3 and 9? Who cares as long as you are consistent.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:47 PM
mlct
Racer

Will look around to see if I have anything trying 3rd or will work on that again as the weather gets colder and I try my assault on Luigi's 57.95 (lap 15 below) where takes the Uphill much faster than I do. I wrecked a car there two years ago and am still overslowing and not going full throttle at the bottom as I should. Listen to his wheel spin. The faster classes wheelie over the top there. He is driving a legal PCA I class car and mine is a likely underweight H with slicks (as he will likely tell us when he gets his hotel at Summit Point tonight)

Old 09-22-2016, 07:08 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

2 & 10 does not give you the movement to correct pause recover. Different muscle set. I disagree. 9 & 3
Old 09-22-2016, 07:38 PM
winders
Race Car

2 & 10 does not give you the movement to correct pause recover. Different muscle set. I disagree. 9 & 3
Look, I use 9 and 3 and think it is the best hand position. I also think shuffle steering shouldn't be used.

But I don't think 10 and 2 is so bad that you will have any real issues if you are used to driving that way. Again, consistency is more important here. Heck some steering wheels that people like to use (e.g. the Momo Prototipo) promote a 9:30/2:30 position.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:14 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Actually, 9-3 is optimal, but like Winders said, there are many steering wheels that make it impossible to be at 9-3, forcing you to be at 9:30/2:30. personally, i like that better and is less fatiquing in hard turning, technical tracks.
steering ratios also are a factor on which might be better personally.
I have a momo today that forces me to be slightly below 9-3 and i want to be 9-3 as my old stock steering wheel was oriented. (Steering cross member at horizontal vs my current MOMO , that angles down.)
winders point is a good one.. as long as your hands are planted and are not walking around, its all good!
my only reference to "10-2" was its a term everyone remembers from driving school.. what i mean is hands on either side of the wheel , not moving. but yes, more like 9-3 than 10-2. thanks for the clarification!

here is Van overbeek with the position i try and run... darn shuffle steerer!
Attached Images  

Last edited by mark kibort; 09-22-2016 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,299 Likes on 1,874 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Wait a second. If you want to be as fast as possible around ANY track, you want to slow as little as possible and accelerate as hard as possible. Your text makes it sound like you are saying that is not true about Lime Rock. That cannot be the case.
Yep. Your presumption is not the case.

If you slow enough to go to WOT in any of these corners, you've slowed too much at the fast corners at LRP.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-22-2016, 09:58 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 865 Posts

^^THIS^^ Mark, I'll try one more time. Lime Rock is about slowing less, not accelerating more. It's a VERY fast track... THAT is how you get time at Lime Rock...
Exactly.

Peter, you and I have driven Lime Rock a bunch. You'll note I am no longer engaging the poster who hasn't because as you have found out in this thread, nothing changes and there is no acceptance of the experience or viewpoints of those who actually know.

A wise man with whom I worked last week at the Glen suggested that this crap is beneath both you and me. I have taken his comment to heart...
Old 09-22-2016, 10:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,299 Likes on 1,874 Posts

That PDK didn't do it in that well driven R is a telling hint. Wonder what a ClubSport or other faster newer PDK cars do?

Looking at my best 58.07 lap I am embarrassed, maybe encouraged actually, to see I missed a shift going into Big Bend but usually revs do not drop below 4500 rpm
I don't like stretching gears. If you've hit the limiter, you have No ROOM to grow. Car is more pitch sensitive, etc...
Old 09-22-2016, 10:20 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by winders
Yep. Your presumption is not the case.

If you slow enough to go to WOT in any of these corners, you've slowed too much at the fast corners at LRP.
Jeez, Peter, you need to think some before you tell me my presumption is incorrect.

The word "possible" in this case is in reference to what is prudent for fast laps. If we used your narrow interpretation, my "slow as little as possible" would mean not slowing at all. My "accelerate as hard as possible" means within what the friction circle allows.

Quick Reply: Another run at Lime Rock in the GT4