Sponsored by:

indy death and buttonwillow death

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 04:06 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts
Default indy death and buttonwillow death

From the headlines: "Now the 26-year-old Renna is dead, killed Wednesday in a crash at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The crash came in his first test session on the track with the elite Target/Chip Ganassi Racing team, and it came in the same car that new teammate Scott Dixon, the 2003 IRL champion, had driven the previous day at speeds up to 230 mph."

Rumor has it that Renna died of an injury to the neck and he blead out through the carotid artery. I do not think he was wearing any helmet restraint.

Last wek a guy died at buttonwillow california going off the track in a second gear turn from a lateral whipping injury that snapped his neck. He was in a streetcar just like us. He had no helmet restraint.

Some know I'm a big believer in helmet restraints. I really like the Isaac helmet retraint for making all the right compromises. http://www.isaacdirect.com/

The Isaac seems to be the best of the best and really costs less than a set of decent tires!
Old 10-23-2003, 04:41 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Where did you hear that about Renna?

I read a report that his head hit one of the catch fence's posts. I doubt any neck restriant would have helped any. The tub of his car was split in half and even if he did have a serious neck injury, I bet his other injuries were just as bad.

A Head and neck restraint system is not a bad idea. I think I am going with a HANS device. I know guys that like it and look at what the pros wear...
Old 10-23-2003, 05:04 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The information on the Racer at Buttonwillow is inaccuate. From what understand the cause of Mr Blauvelt's death is accurate, but he was driving an ASC car. This is basicly a NASCAR style road race car comperable in speed to fast PCA GT car. The car appeared to have exitied the track sideways at the buttonhook and contacted a dirt brim on the passenger's side.

There is nothing to believe that there was any failure of the safety systems in the car or for the driver personally.

It is also not clear that a HANS device would had prevented or reduced the lateral head movement.

Here is a link to the NASA press release

http://www.nasaproracing.com/news/blauvelt.html

An Education fund is being set-up for Mr Blauvelt's Son

EDUCATION FUND ESTABLISHED FOR SON OF ASC DRIVER BILL BLAUVELT
An education fund has been established for the son of ASC driver Bill Blauvelt who passed away after an accident at Buttonwillow Raceway on October 18, 2003. Donations can be sent to Nikolas W. Blauvelt, P.O. Box 412, Ringwood, NJ 07456.

Blauvelt began racing in 2001 after over a decade of high performance driver's education with several other driving organizations. He was passionate about exotic cars and had owned quite a few including a Ferrari, a Dodge Viper, an Acura NSX, a replica Shelby Cobra and several race prepared Porsches. He drove the #44 Chevrolet Monte Carlo for the RealRide Racing team and had recently finished on the podium at his last ASC race. Blauvelt was 38 years old and is survived by his wife Adriana and 18-month-old son Nikolas.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:32 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mein Gott.

There are times I simply hate this sport.

I know there is a head and neck restraint in my future. Since I have a G-Force helmet, I'll probably start out with theirs, but I think I'll eventually have a HANS. Hell, I owe it to my wife.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:36 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

The report I saw said Renna was wearing a HANS device.

Let's try to be accurate here.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:34 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

Mike,

We don't all get the same report or read the same papers. The correction is appreciated. The intention of the post is not to tout the Isaac but to bring awareness to a preventable form of death well within our budgets as racers. None of these devices cost more than a set of good tires.

Greg,

I considered the HANS too. The price is almost the same and if it is good enough for F1 well...why not. But consider this, first you have to survive the impact, 2nd you may have to exit the car, 3rd you may have to be rescued from the car. HANS restricts your exit and safety workers ability to extricate you. Infact there is a real potential problem with HANS and having to use the extrication back board when neck injury is supected after a crash. Sometimes your life is measured in seconds and HANS may cost you those seconds. On a cheapskate note HANS requires two devices for those who drive upright and in reclined cars. Finally, some helmet manufacturers get their undies in a bunch when you modify the helmet by attaching a HANS or bolted Isaac etc... but the Isaac attaching plates can be alternatively glued to the helmet without effecting helmet integrity.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:08 AM
Ryan S.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could someone please explain how the hans device restricts your ability to exit the car. Ive seen many F1 drivers walking around with the hans device on there shoulders and attached to the helmet. It dosnt look like its restricting them that much. Butttttt i might be wrong.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:25 AM
Ryan S.
Racer

And yes i know F1 drivers have an open cockpit, but i still cant see the hans device restricting people who are trying to get out of a closed cockpit(911, any sedan,etc) car that much. It only adds about 3 or 4 inches of horizontal width to the drivers neck area.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:14 AM
Jerrygreene
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

"Could someone please explain how the hans device restricts your ability to exit the car"

I have worn one in PCA events the past 2 years. You can get in or out with it on, as long as some one is their to help buckle you up. Getting out is no problem. Also, if you want, you can put it on (helmet + HANS) while sitting in car after you buckle yourself up. Its a bit of a challenge, but can be done. Hope this helps.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:41 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Also the HANS device has a quick release mechanism now that can be added. Probably not 100% neccessary in a car with doors that open but for the NASCAR guys it is. Check about half way down this order form and you will see a picture of the quick release.

http://www.hansdevice.com/order-form.htm
Old 10-24-2003, 11:18 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

fbb

I understand. Thanks for clairifying. Didn't mean to come off as a vigilante. The report I read this morning said the coroner blamed massive blunt trauma to the head and chest due to the tub splitting open. He likened it to an airplane crash.

It's truly remarkable that anyone can walk away from a crash at these speeds.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:27 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Related subject. http://msn.espn.go.com/rpm/irl/2003/1023/1645010.html
Old 10-24-2003, 02:24 PM
addictionms
Instructor

I have the HANS with the quick disconnect, well worth the extra $75. It also allows you to disconnect while sitting in the pits. Once disconnected it is easy to re-connect while strapped in.

The HANS does feel restrictive while sitting in the padock, or pits, however once the green flag drops I don't even know it is on.

I have driven a 3 hour enduro flag to flag with it on and felt no ill effects.

Jim
Old 10-24-2003, 03:31 PM
Howard
Racer

Just ordered my HANS yesterday. My wife said "order it, or give up racing....." after hearing of the Buttonwillow fatality.
I'm sure I'll get used to any mobility restriction ,if there is any.
Old 10-24-2003, 05:30 PM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

I drove with a HANS for the first time last weekend, and I didn't really even notice it. I didn't find it near as much trouble to get all buckled in (by myself) as I thought I would from reading beforehand. The only thing that caught my attention was that if you go off, you have to turn your car almost perpendicular to the track to see oncoming traffic to get back on. Side to side head movement is limited, but again, I didn't notice while driving.

David

Quick Reply: indy death and buttonwillow death