Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

indy death and buttonwillow death

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 01:24 AM
Joe T
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've worn a HANS for the last 2 years. The sacrifice in range of motion is well worth the protection. As for comfort, like others, I really don't feel it while on the track. I decided to pay up and buy the HANS after I hit a wall at Road Atlanta during warm-ups for the PCA club race one cold Sunday morning. I walked away without a scratch but after seeing the damage to my car I realized that my head/neck was the weak link in the system. I also realized that it would be too late for second thoughts about buying one of these devices if I was seriously hurt - then the money wouldn't matter. My opinion is to pay for quality safety gear of whatever type - in the end it's cheap insurance. You and your family deserve it.
Old 10-25-2003, 03:00 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

just an FYI, the HANS device is mandatory in CART, IRL and F1. All drivers HAVE to wear them if they are in a racecar at a sanctioned track.

I have worked with drivers (only in CART) during the tansition from wearing it optionally to mandatory, all did complain at first of the reduced mobility, then quickly got used to it. Some said the same happened years ago when drivers were forced to wear full face helmets. All complained of the lack of vision with the full face, but got over it as it became a rule.

Lets hope for safe motoring!

Quick Reply: indy death and buttonwillow death