Sponsored by:

road america race

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 02:35 AM
MoD
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dgmark
At the Monday drivers meeting they announced that he had foot and lower back injuries and he went into surgery that morning. We were standing at the flag station at 11B on the new walking path. All I can say is that he took a VERY large hit.
I was standing with Mark at 11B when the incident(s) happened. The impacts and accident were the heaviest I have personally ever witnessed at a track event, so I am really happy everyone is well enough (or will be well enough) to discuss it. The driver of the car air lifted has been racing locally for over 15 years now in the same car. I know he is extremely experienced, so my guess is somehow he had missed the flag and not seen the incident.

Phoopis, I am really glad you are safe and well bud. We saw your car go airborne after the hit and truly was speechless. Its a testament to the safety of these vehicles.

It really did look like two incidents, the first being the cups spinning further up after track out. Looked like a handful of cars collided, but a handful slowed down and made it through before the second large impact happened. I know from racing at RA for over a decade now that it is a little difficult to see the flag station before the kink. I know the 11B flag worker was waving his flag aggressively right as the impact happened (we were right behind him). He was too far for anyone down the track to see though.

The safety crews at RA were incredibly quick and professional though. We walked towards the scene of the accident and by the time we got there a lot of safety was already at the scene working on getting the drivers out of the vehicles and it took them less than a minute to cut the roof off of the car the moment they started down that route.

Best wishes to the driver that got air lifted. He is a long time racer and I wish him a speedy recovery. To the rest that were involved, I hope you guys are well too. Really a tough one to watch for all!
Old 09-09-2015, 08:14 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
Time for a bit of controversy, is it time that PCA started a tiered Race License system, where you had to work your way up the power curve? The top tier cars that are available to run in PCA are raced in the professional series with few modifications. There are quite a few rooky drivers out there who are extremely capable drivers who are in these cars but can you have the situational awareness to stay on top of one of these machines with a limited racing history. The only reason I am bringing this up is that it seems that the occurrence significant incidences is increasing.
(tongue firmly in cheek): Perhaps it's time for speed limits in club racing? Maybe we will see yet another article from Jack Baruth in Road & Track on this topic in a month or two...

Originally Posted by jpoint
I think one of those new light flags needs to be on that corner worker stand at the kink. You can't really see the flag until you reach the left hand rumble strip at turn in. By then it's pretty late to shave any speed if the kink is jammed with an accident - especially without ABS. It doesn't help that the barrier just below the flag stand is yellow. It may make the barrier easier to see but - at a glance - a standing yellow flag blends in. A yellow light on that flag platform would be visible from the Continental bridge.
FANTASTIC suggestion and I agree 100%. This technology works great in other high speed low visibility track areas at Daytona, Watkins Glen, etc.

Originally Posted by MoD

The safety crews at RA were incredibly quick and professional

Best wishes to the driver that got air lifted. He is a long time racer and I wish him a speedy recovery. To the rest that were involved, I hope you guys are well too. Really a tough one to watch for all!
+2. RA workers are among the very best in the US.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:30 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

I think one of those new light flags needs to be on that corner worker stand at the kink. You can't really see the flag until you reach the left hand rumble strip at turn in. By then it's pretty late to shave any speed if the kink is jammed with an accident - especially without ABS. It doesn't help that the barrier just below the flag stand is yellow. It may make the barrier easier to see but - at a glance - a standing yellow flag blends in. A yellow light on that flag platform would be visible from the Continental bridge.
Excellent suggestion. Completely agree about the challenge of seeing the flag. If something good can come from the pileup then this is it.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:25 AM
phoopis
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i completely agree
Old 09-09-2015, 02:57 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
(tongue firmly in cheek): Perhaps it's time for speed limits in club racing? Maybe we will see yet another article from Jack Baruth in Road & Track on this topic in a month or two...
I am only suggesting that if you have that much money to put down on a car you should be willing put a portion of it toward developing your race craft prior to putting that much machine on the track. The cars that ended in the pile up were not the instigators but someone did something to create the situation where these cars ended in a body shop or worse. Was the driver who initiated everything over driving the car on cold tires, zigged when he should have zagged, who knows as the only views I have seen are the aftermath.

I have been out on the track with these guys and it can get spooky with some of the stuff they try to pull off.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:01 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

^ Personally I think the cup 'group' guys get a generally unfair rep. Yes when incidents happen, the expense is significant. Cost of doing business in those cars. If you're in 944 or Specbox or SM you can replace a radiator or control arm for a few hundred bucks and then use a hammer and speed tape on the rest.

Some of the people recurrently criticizing the cup group have a) never driven these cars and/or b) spent very little time on full slicks.

I have unfortunately witnessed the event and/or immediate aftermath of the more notable incidents at PCA races that resulted in significant damage (Mosport, Road Atlanta, and now Road America). A consistent theme is first lap, cold tires, and close packed fields re. impaired vision and situational awareness. A slick track at Road Atlanta compounded those other factors. Some of the risks are modifiable (2 pace laps at 60+ mph, driver decision making/risk taking) and some aren't. For the most part people are doing their best within the constraints of racing and sh*t happens.

It was interesting watching the cup guys from various places (5-9, kink, canada corner). You can clearly see who has spent time in a momentum car re. apex precision and using all the track to wring every ounce of speed out of the corner. There are always outliers but within a couple meters the line consistency was pretty damn good for club racing IMHO. And it was also clear (we were looking at braking points, time on brakes, and turn-in) that people are driving within their limits and self-preservation in mind at the kink. Only one cup car that we could identify was consistently risking at the kink.

Last edited by jdistefa; 09-09-2015 at 07:27 PM. Reason: grammar & clarity
Old 09-09-2015, 05:27 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paseb
Enduro was a blast! I was mad at myself for putting on slicks when everyone else was on rain tires. It served me well and I qualified 1st.
I was sitting in my grid spot wondering why all the cars were on rains. "This. Is. Interesting..."
Old 09-09-2015, 06:41 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
^ Only one cup car that we could identify was consistently risking at the kink.
I don't need to know who this was unless it was me (#871)!

Thanks.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:48 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts
Default road america race

Amen matt,

You have lot of race experience and everyone should listen to that.

Btw, i hope i didnt slow you down passing you on the right before the kink hehe
Old 09-09-2015, 11:59 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT
Definitely a very cool event....my first time there and hopefully not the last....

Thank you soo much to Mike in chi for not collecting me and the other heads up drivers behind after my mistake....
You're welcome. You did have my "full, undivided" there for a moment Evan!

PM me your email and I'll send what we discussed...

Originally Posted by f1rocks

Congrats to astroman on best prepared and workers choice!
Wonderful Jack!!!!!! Congrats

Originally Posted by sheim911rs
It is in fact, major surgery for both his spine and feet. Don't under estimate the degree of injury or importance of immediate safety management. RA did a fabulous job.
Incredible job by you and the safety crew, Steve.

When every second counts, good to know you and the Road America Crew are there. Thank you for all the time you devote to it.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:44 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 76 Posts

Except for the incident at the kink, it was a great weekend. Hopefully the driver that was hurt will recover soon. Thank you to all the PCA staff and volunteers that put on such a great event.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:17 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by coryf
Except for the incident at the kink, it was a great weekend. Hopefully the driver that was hurt will recover soon. Thank you to all the PCA staff and volunteers that put on such a great event.
Nice 2:25 in the Bee

Incredible weekend indeed. This is such a 'big boy' track.

Always impressed by the hot pulls.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:27 AM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Any video, Cory?
Old 09-10-2015, 10:41 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SoClose
Any video, Cory?
Hell yes. I want to see the first 3 laps of the first Sprint with you and the GT1 turbo rocket missile.

I was standing at the 4 marker coming down the hill to Turn 5. That was something to see...
Old 09-10-2015, 01:25 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Astroman
....and the GT1 turbo rocket missile.
Jack can you believe that thing had trailing arms? Oh, and 14" rear tires.

Quick Reply: road america race