Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 12:38 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by f1rocks
Evan,
Kylan wants a copy of "the video"
I was so fortunate to witness that. Brent, you are multi-talented!

Originally Posted by f1rocks
Congrats to astroman on best prepared and workers choice!
Thanks! The PCA team did a great job this weekend.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:05 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Wait... what does that windshield banner say???
Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2015, 01:13 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by stujelly
Dave is a great coach but the yoko gt3 guys were running 13.5s.
Thank you, Steve. That's only a bit over 2.5 seconds for Chris...bet he can do it with a bit of guidance.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:30 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 776 Posts

Hope the injured driver will be OK soon.
Lets hope we don't see a pile up like that again, but the Kink is one of the few places on any track where it can and unfortunately did happen..

I've been to many tracks and Road America is the most fearsome, most difficult for me. Its my favorite track to date even though I never got anywhere near fast enough to hang with the fast guys but drove my heart out and had a lot of great racing. It was hot and I was exhausted after the races, never mind the enduro!

PCA was awesome, I lost more time than most around me when the workers were towing cars of track, but respect to those guys and I wanted zero surprise / risk of a spill in those area's. Thanks to them we got a ton of driving...

Great seeing everyone.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:35 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by surathdp
I heard through fairly reliable sources that he is fine. Minor surgery.
It's minor surgery when it's done on someone else. It's major surgery when it's done on you. Hope everything goes well and quickly in recovery.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:53 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 118 Posts

I referred to minor versus major as in category of surgery and mortality risk. Major surgery after trauma is just bad news, e.g. Justin Wilson. Minor surgery is Good news. I saw the wreck. So I am relieved.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:09 PM
sheim911rs
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RA driver surgery

Originally Posted by mglobe
It's minor surgery when it's done on someone else. It's major surgery when it's done on you. Hope everything goes well and quickly in recovery.
It is in fact, major surgery for both his spine and feet. Don't under estimate the degree of injury or importance of immediate safety management. RA did a fabulous job.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:15 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Time for a bit of controversy, is it time that PCA started a tiered Race License system, where you had to work your way up the power curve? The top tier cars that are available to run in PCA are raced in the professional series with few modifications. There are quite a few rooky drivers out there who are extremely capable drivers who are in these cars but can you have the situational awareness to stay on top of one of these machines with a limited racing history. The only reason I am bringing this up is that it seems that the occurrence significant incidences is increasing.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:25 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

In this particular instance, the big pile-up was caused by drivers not seeing the yellow on entry into the Kink. I slowed down because I saw a puff of smoke but when i reviewed the video (HD), I couldn't tell whether the yellow was up or not at the flag station. He was certainly not waving it. I am sure the RSR driver had no idea what was going on. Lot of drivers in that group were fairly experienced.

At the drivers meeting before Sprint 2, one of drivers actually raised the issue that quite a number of corner workers were "asleep." He would know because he was the lead driver in the run group. Now I certainly have to agree with hims comments. The corner worker might have prevented the secondary pile up and the injury to the RSR driver with a waving yellow.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:31 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I've been to many tracks and Road America is the most fearsome, most difficult for me. Its my favorite track to date even though I never got anywhere near fast enough to hang with the fast guys but drove my heart out and had a lot of great racing. It was hot and I was exhausted after the races, never mind the enduro!
Amen to all of that.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:41 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts

my fastest lap of the weekend during the enduro race.

I will upload some videos of sprint 1 and 2 later

Old 09-08-2015, 10:42 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Default road america race

In this particular instance, the big pile-up was caused by drivers not seeing the yellow on entry into the Kink. I slowed down because I saw a puff of smoke but when i reviewed the video (HD), I couldn't tell whether the yellow was up or not at the flag station. He was certainly not waving it. I am sure the RSR driver had no idea what was going on. Lot of drivers in that group were fairly experienced.

At the drivers meeting before Sprint 2, one of drivers actually raised the issue that quite a number of corner workers were "asleep." He would know because he was the lead driver in the run group. Now I certainly have to agree with hims comments. The corner worker might have prevented the secondary pile up and the injury to the RSR driver with a waving yellow.
Hell, I've seen them texting in NJ. It's a problem and while I'm not saying it was here I am saying I've seen some not taking the job very seriously.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:50 PM
phoopis
Track Day

In this particular instance, the big pile-up was caused by drivers not seeing the yellow on entry into the Kink. I slowed down because I saw a puff of smoke but when i reviewed the video (HD), I couldn't tell whether the yellow was up or not at the flag station. He was certainly not waving it. I am sure the RSR driver had no idea what was going on. Lot of drivers in that group were fairly experienced. At the drivers meeting before Sprint 2, one of drivers actually raised the issue that quite a number of corner workers were "asleep." He would know because he was the lead driver in the run group. Now I certainly have to agree with hims comments. The corner worker might have prevented the secondary pile up and the injury to the RSR driver with a waving yellow.
I am the driver who was rear ended by the gentleman who was airlifted out. The impact was so hard it caused my car to roll over from an almost dead stop. In reviewing video the yellow came just as I was at the apex of the kink...in my opinion a little slow. As we all know, what a horrible spot to lift. I recovered and got my car to a stop before coming in contact with 3 other wrecked cars. There was no other option for me. Unfortunately the driver behind me could not do the same. I am so fortunate to have walked away uninjured. My thoughts and prayers to the driver in the hospital.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:05 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Phoopis,
I have another video from another car that shows your flip.Pretty incredible. I am so glad that you are unscathed. It was just a bad day with lot of errors, both from drivers and corner workers. Since some driver errors are inevitable, I think we need little more help from corner workers in places like the kink. There was no yellow when I came by but I saw smoke slowed immediately. But the two cars in front me created the second wreck that trapped us.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:31 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 218 Posts

I think one of those new light flags needs to be on that corner worker stand at the kink. You can't really see the flag until you reach the left hand rumble strip at turn in. By then it's pretty late to shave any speed if the kink is jammed with an accident - especially without ABS. It doesn't help that the barrier just below the flag stand is yellow. It may make the barrier easier to see but - at a glance - a standing yellow flag blends in. A yellow light on that flag platform would be visible from the Continental bridge.

Quick Reply: road america race