Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Simulator Set Up - Hardware and Software

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 01:46 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

By the way, if it hasn’t been mentioned already I find the iRacing 991.2 Cup to be awful. If anyone has a proven setup they would like to share I’d love to try it. The setup from my real Cup fails tech....I can’t even get close.

*They absolutely nailed the inherent understeer however lol.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:15 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Nice! Started with a Sim-Lab base?

Does the SimVibe stuff translate well? I've read some folks say that on the super-rigid setups, it's so stiff you can't tell where the "thump" came from. I want to do SimVibe as my next rig upgrade.

And I did the same thing re: measurements for my Cayman. I went so far as to take a 3D scan of the cockpit, load it into SketchUp, then take the measurements that way so I could be accurate. I've got 3D scans of a few different cars so I can configure it differently if I ever want to.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:17 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by FLA997
By the way, if it hasn’t been mentioned already I find the iRacing 991.2 Cup to be awful. If anyone has a proven setup they would like to share I’d love to try it. The setup from my real Cup fails tech....I can’t even get close.

*They absolutely nailed the inherent understeer however lol.
Yeah I struggle with the Cup baseline too. I was curious to know if you could load up a "real" setup on it. In fact a buddy of mine who does a lot of Cup setups owes me a callback lol....

Would you mind sharing the setup you're *trying* to get to, from your real car?

I've had good luck with the setups from Virtual Racing School. They have an easy-to-understand telemetry system + some good self-coaching stuff in there that I am getting good at using. https://virtualracingschool.appspot.com/#/Home
Old 01-11-2018, 02:33 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Nice! Started with a Sim-Lab base?

Does the SimVibe stuff translate well? I've read some folks say that on the super-rigid setups, it's so stiff you can't tell where the "thump" came from. I want to do SimVibe as my next rig upgrade.

And I did the same thing re: measurements for my Cayman. I went so far as to take a 3D scan of the cockpit, load it into SketchUp, then take the measurements that way so I could be accurate. I've got 3D scans of a few different cars so I can configure it differently if I ever want to.
The Sim Lab rig definitely influenced my build, but I did not order from them because of several reviews I read about missing parts, long delivery times, etc. I got everything I needed from www.8020.net .

It is interesting you read some negatives about SimVibe and rigid rigs...I find it spectacular. I can definitely feel where the "bump" came from. I have to say I didn't know what I was getting into when I put this thing together...it takes a lot of tweaking with the Software (and the amps for the transducers - I am using 2 iNuke DSP1000 amps) to get things "right".

Initially, I just plugged everything in and was still amazed at the "feel"...but after reading this and that advice online from various other forums, and adjusting all the settings in SimVibe and DSPs, it went to a whole new level. There is a distinct noise/frequency a Cup car gearbox makes and I was able to replicate that almost exactly. Same with the gear changes. With the engine vibrations and harmonic load noises all set just right, I literally feel like I am sitting in my Cup. I'd like to add motion some day but for now, as a newbie at this, I'm satisfied.

And yes, having the pedals, wheel etc in exactly the right place was very important to me - I wish I had your laser scanner because my method with scale cardboard and 5000 trips back and forth to the garage was quite tedious!
Old 01-11-2018, 02:34 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Yeah I struggle with the Cup baseline too. I was curious to know if you could load up a "real" setup on it. In fact a buddy of mine who does a lot of Cup setups owes me a callback lol....

Would you mind sharing the setup you're *trying* to get to, from your real car?

I've had good luck with the setups from Virtual Racing School. They have an easy-to-understand telemetry system + some good self-coaching stuff in there that I am getting good at using. https://virtualracingschool.appspot.com/#/Home
I will send the setup to you via PM later this evening.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:28 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

FLA997 - I'm curious if you've tried RaceRoom's version of the Cup Car. It just came out. The game is free to download via Steam and there are a few free cars and tracks (Portimao Algarve is free!). A neat thing about RaceRoom is you are allowed to test drive any car on a fictitious track. There is a lot of transmission noise and another odd sound on braking - apparently they got actual recordings from Cup Cars for their sounds, so I'd be interested to know your thoughts. Obviously you'd need to get your settings dialed in.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:44 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

The Sim Lab rig definitely influenced my build, but I did not order from them because of several reviews I read about missing parts, long delivery times, etc. I got everything I needed from www.8020.net .
Cool. I thought I saw some of the Sim-Lab parts in there (pedal mount brackets, upright mounts). I've got a Sim-Lab setup myself, which I've been somewhat happy with. I've already made some tweaks, have more in mind, and likely in the end will be ditching all (save for the upright mounts) the custom Sim-Lab pieces. Overall they look slick but I've been disappointed in the actual usefulness.

It is interesting you read some negatives about SimVibe and rigid rigs...I find it spectacular.
Well, not so much "negative" just that it seems as we get to stiffer and stiffer rigs, they start to become less effective. The earlier rigs, sloppy setups, etc. really lets the vibrations transmit throughout the rig. The 8020 stuff is so stiff, supposedly it's hard to tell "right front corner thump" vs "thump".

I haven't experienced it though so I can only share what I've read. I'm glad to hear it works well for you... I will definitely be picking your brain in the future.

I can definitely feel where the "bump" came from. I have to say I didn't know what I was getting into when I put this thing together...it takes a lot of tweaking with the Software (and the amps for the transducers - I am using 2 iNuke DSP1000 amps) to get things "right".

Initially, I just plugged everything in and was still amazed at the "feel"...but after reading this and that advice online from various other forums, and adjusting all the settings in SimVibe and DSPs, it went to a whole new level. There is a distinct noise/frequency a Cup car gearbox makes and I was able to replicate that almost exactly. Same with the gear changes. With the engine vibrations and harmonic load noises all set just right, I literally feel like I am sitting in my Cup. I'd like to add motion some day but for now, as a newbie at this, I'm satisfied.

And yes, having the pedals, wheel etc in exactly the right place was very important to me - I wish I had your laser scanner because my method with scale cardboard and 5000 trips back and forth to the garage was quite tedious!
That's awesome. I was so disappointed when I'd read that the stuff didn't work well with 8020. Glad to hear there is hope. Once I get through several other projects, SimVibe is on my list. I'll likely be poking you for your configs

I will send the setup to you via PM later this evening.
Sweet. Sometimes all it takes is a minor tire pressure bump or something to get it back in spec.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:48 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

It is interesting you read some negatives about SimVibe and rigid rigs...I find it spectacular. I can definitely feel where the "bump" came from. I have to say I didn't know what I was getting into when I put this thing together...it takes a lot of tweaking with the Software (and the amps for the transducers - I am using 2 iNuke DSP1000 amps) to get things "right".

Very cool set up!
Old 02-19-2018, 11:30 AM
TFBoxster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I built my own rig out of 80/20 because I wanted to mimic the pedal/wheel/dash positions of my Cup Car and wasn't sure if the adaptability of some of the rig kits was going to allow that.
So, taking measurements, angles etc from the Cup Car everything is exactly where it should be. It took me about 3 months to fully build it, and I'm still not finished:

1) My "cable management" is not complete.
2) I am going to invert the pedals when I get the time (the center point of each pedal is still exactly as positioned in a Cup).
3) I have a Cup dash and center console I am going to overlay on the rig itself - use the center cup panel as a button box.

This is my first dip into sim racing and what really upped the experience (immersion they call it) was adding tactile transducers to the aluminum rig and using software called SimVibe to run them. While not a motion rig (yet), the tuning ability with the right software to drive the transducers is incredible. The software extracts the data from iRacing or AC etc and allows you to "tune" those effects. Hitting curbs, engine vibration, gear changes etc. For example if you hit a curb with the RF tire, you ONLY "feel" that on the right front of your rig.

Every time I sit in the rig I am amazed at the experience. I have 4 transducers, one at each corner of the rig.

I also use Oculus once in a while - wow! (Your brain and inner ear may not like this...a fellow racer got sick immediately).

Lots still left to do here but its a good start.

As for iRacing itself..I have only been on a few weeks, but I find it very helpful in many ways, especially in terms of getting back in the saddle after some time off. It comes extremely close to the real thing in terms of intensity when you have a bunch of cars around you - and even more so when you have all of the tactile senses being fed as I explained above.

I didn't read thru this whole thread so if someone already mentioned the transducers I apologize.

There are a lot of hosted Daytona 24 practice sessions right now and Ive been joining those most every night (F 488) this week JUST for proximity/intensity...very fun.

What setup. What monitors are you using?
Old 02-19-2018, 08:51 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 118 Posts

Funny my set up is near identical sans the simvibe stuff...too lazy to fiddle with it. HE pedals, DD wheel, the 3-screens and 80-2o- rig! Perfect.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:30 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,899 Likes on 978 Posts

I just ran 991 Cup on this motion setup at VR Motion Labs in SE MA. First time using VR googles and it went pretty well.

https://www.vrmotionlabs.com/single-post/2017/01/06/Prototype-2-A-high-performance-3DOF-VR-Racing-Motion-Simulator

Old 02-20-2018, 08:45 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Finally started taking sim driving a bit more serious. I don't want to spend a lot of coin on upgrades right now, but the brake pedal of the G29 is driving me nuts. I am going to keep the G29 wheel for now. So... upgrade to Perfect Pedal, or Fanatec Clubsport V3 pedals?
Old 02-20-2018, 02:42 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Originally Posted by switchface
FLA997 - I'm curious if you've tried RaceRoom's version of the Cup Car. It just came out. The game is free to download via Steam and there are a few free cars and tracks (Portimao Algarve is free!). A neat thing about RaceRoom is you are allowed to test drive any car on a fictitious track. There is a lot of transmission noise and another odd sound on braking - apparently they got actual recordings from Cup Cars for their sounds, so I'd be interested to know your thoughts. Obviously you'd need to get your settings dialed in.
I haven't actually, but I will take a look.

Originally Posted by TFBoxster
What setup. What monitors are you using?
I am using the SAMSUNG C27CHG70 curved monitors....but...I've been using the VR headset more and more because even after calculating the proper field of view and getting all 3 monitors set just right, it still doesn't come close to the "immersion" of the VR headset. With monitors you are playing a game. With VR you are "in the car" - literally, and everything is the proper scale. Its much easier (for me) to judge distance and closing speeds in VR than the triple setup, and my lap times are always better in VR by 0.5-0.8 sec. So...now I feel like I shouldn't have gone all out on high end monitors ($1700 in monitors vs. $400 VR). The only drawback to VR is that when you come from great monitors with crystal clear resolution, you will notice the VR isn't as good. There is a "screen door" effect on the graphics in the headset that will hopefully improve as technology marches on. You can play with the SuperSampling settings in the VR toolbox for some improvement, but it wont be near a decent monitor. In the end, I think the benefits of VR outweigh the resolution deficit when you compare it to an HD monitor.

Originally Posted by mglobe
Finally started taking sim driving a bit more serious. I don't want to spend a lot of coin on upgrades right now, but the brake pedal of the G29 is driving me nuts. I am going to keep the G29 wheel for now. So... upgrade to Perfect Pedal, or Fanatec Clubsport V3 pedals?
I would highly recommend the Heusinkveld Ultimates, but they are not cheap. They absolutely feel real and can be adjusted.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:44 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Originally Posted by MSR Racer
Funny my set up is near identical sans the simvibe stuff...too lazy to fiddle with it. HE pedals, DD wheel, the 3-screens and 80-2o- rig! Perfect.
The SimVibe stuff is definitely a "process" - and much of it is WAY over my head.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:50 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mglobe
Lot of guys have both and have been happy. I understand they're comparable.

Forced to choose between those two options: I would go with the Clubsports merely so I don't have to disassemble anything. Just plug them in and go.

My advice though would be to buy a set of Heusinkveld Engineering pedals from the start. A lot of people buy the interim stuff and then wind up upgrading later. I have the HE "Pro" pedals and they're fantastic. I compared them back to back with the Ultimates and while the Ultimates ARE nicer.... personally I couldn't justify the diminishing returns of the hydraulics.

Quick Reply: Best Simulator Set Up - Hardware and Software