Best Simulator Set Up - Hardware and Software - Page 15 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Simulator Set Up - Hardware and Software

Old 01-11-2018, 02:46 PM
FLA997
Addict
Rennlist Member

By the way, if it hasnít been mentioned already I find the iRacing 991.2 Cup to be awful. If anyone has a proven setup they would like to share Iíd love to try it. The setup from my real Cup fails tech....I canít even get close.

*They absolutely nailed the inherent understeer however lol.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:15 PM
OmniGLH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nice! Started with a Sim-Lab base?

Does the SimVibe stuff translate well? I've read some folks say that on the super-rigid setups, it's so stiff you can't tell where the "thump" came from. I want to do SimVibe as my next rig upgrade.

And I did the same thing re: measurements for my Cayman. I went so far as to take a 3D scan of the cockpit, load it into SketchUp, then take the measurements that way so I could be accurate. I've got 3D scans of a few different cars so I can configure it differently if I ever want to.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:17 PM
OmniGLH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FLA997 View Post
By the way, if it hasnít been mentioned already I find the iRacing 991.2 Cup to be awful. If anyone has a proven setup they would like to share Iíd love to try it. The setup from my real Cup fails tech....I canít even get close.

*They absolutely nailed the inherent understeer however lol.
Yeah I struggle with the Cup baseline too. I was curious to know if you could load up a "real" setup on it. In fact a buddy of mine who does a lot of Cup setups owes me a callback lol....

Would you mind sharing the setup you're *trying* to get to, from your real car?

I've had good luck with the setups from Virtual Racing School. They have an easy-to-understand telemetry system + some good self-coaching stuff in there that I am getting good at using. https://virtualracingschool.appspot.com/#/Home
Old 01-11-2018, 03:33 PM
FLA997
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OmniGLH View Post
Nice! Started with a Sim-Lab base?

Does the SimVibe stuff translate well? I've read some folks say that on the super-rigid setups, it's so stiff you can't tell where the "thump" came from. I want to do SimVibe as my next rig upgrade.

And I did the same thing re: measurements for my Cayman. I went so far as to take a 3D scan of the cockpit, load it into SketchUp, then take the measurements that way so I could be accurate. I've got 3D scans of a few different cars so I can configure it differently if I ever want to.
The Sim Lab rig definitely influenced my build, but I did not order from them because of several reviews I read about missing parts, long delivery times, etc. I got everything I needed from www.8020.net .

It is interesting you read some negatives about SimVibe and rigid rigs...I find it spectacular. I can definitely feel where the "bump" came from. I have to say I didn't know what I was getting into when I put this thing together...it takes a lot of tweaking with the Software (and the amps for the transducers - I am using 2 iNuke DSP1000 amps) to get things "right".

Initially, I just plugged everything in and was still amazed at the "feel"...but after reading this and that advice online from various other forums, and adjusting all the settings in SimVibe and DSPs, it went to a whole new level. There is a distinct noise/frequency a Cup car gearbox makes and I was able to replicate that almost exactly. Same with the gear changes. With the engine vibrations and harmonic load noises all set just right, I literally feel like I am sitting in my Cup. I'd like to add motion some day but for now, as a newbie at this, I'm satisfied.

And yes, having the pedals, wheel etc in exactly the right place was very important to me - I wish I had your laser scanner because my method with scale cardboard and 5000 trips back and forth to the garage was quite tedious!
Old 01-11-2018, 03:34 PM
FLA997
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OmniGLH View Post
Yeah I struggle with the Cup baseline too. I was curious to know if you could load up a "real" setup on it. In fact a buddy of mine who does a lot of Cup setups owes me a callback lol....

Would you mind sharing the setup you're *trying* to get to, from your real car?

I've had good luck with the setups from Virtual Racing School. They have an easy-to-understand telemetry system + some good self-coaching stuff in there that I am getting good at using. https://virtualracingschool.appspot.com/#/Home
I will send the setup to you via PM later this evening.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:28 PM
switchface
User

FLA997 - I'm curious if you've tried RaceRoom's version of the Cup Car. It just came out. The game is free to download via Steam and there are a few free cars and tracks (Portimao Algarve is free!). A neat thing about RaceRoom is you are allowed to test drive any car on a fictitious track. There is a lot of transmission noise and another odd sound on braking - apparently they got actual recordings from Cup Cars for their sounds, so I'd be interested to know your thoughts. Obviously you'd need to get your settings dialed in.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:44 PM
OmniGLH
Addict
Rennlist Member

The Sim Lab rig definitely influenced my build, but I did not order from them because of several reviews I read about missing parts, long delivery times, etc. I got everything I needed from www.8020.net .
Cool. I thought I saw some of the Sim-Lab parts in there (pedal mount brackets, upright mounts). I've got a Sim-Lab setup myself, which I've been somewhat happy with. I've already made some tweaks, have more in mind, and likely in the end will be ditching all (save for the upright mounts) the custom Sim-Lab pieces. Overall they look slick but I've been disappointed in the actual usefulness.

It is interesting you read some negatives about SimVibe and rigid rigs...I find it spectacular.
Well, not so much "negative" just that it seems as we get to stiffer and stiffer rigs, they start to become less effective. The earlier rigs, sloppy setups, etc. really lets the vibrations transmit throughout the rig. The 8020 stuff is so stiff, supposedly it's hard to tell "right front corner thump" vs "thump".

I haven't experienced it though so I can only share what I've read. I'm glad to hear it works well for you... I will definitely be picking your brain in the future.

I can definitely feel where the "bump" came from. I have to say I didn't know what I was getting into when I put this thing together...it takes a lot of tweaking with the Software (and the amps for the transducers - I am using 2 iNuke DSP1000 amps) to get things "right".

Initially, I just plugged everything in and was still amazed at the "feel"...but after reading this and that advice online from various other forums, and adjusting all the settings in SimVibe and DSPs, it went to a whole new level. There is a distinct noise/frequency a Cup car gearbox makes and I was able to replicate that almost exactly. Same with the gear changes. With the engine vibrations and harmonic load noises all set just right, I literally feel like I am sitting in my Cup. I'd like to add motion some day but for now, as a newbie at this, I'm satisfied.

And yes, having the pedals, wheel etc in exactly the right place was very important to me - I wish I had your laser scanner because my method with scale cardboard and 5000 trips back and forth to the garage was quite tedious!
That's awesome. I was so disappointed when I'd read that the stuff didn't work well with 8020. Glad to hear there is hope. Once I get through several other projects, SimVibe is on my list. I'll likely be poking you for your configs

I will send the setup to you via PM later this evening.
Sweet. Sometimes all it takes is a minor tire pressure bump or something to get it back in spec.