Best Simulator Set Up - Hardware and Software

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 06:25 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I start late otherwise I am asleep on the couch by 630 and my wife and daughter call me an old man.

I've actually been driving on Xbox since I don't have an iRacing setup right now. I'm hoping to get into a real car soon but have been reading this thread and thinking about plunking down some $$$ fro a system.
Yes, it's time!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-15-2020, 03:58 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 44 Posts

Let's see some more pics of rigs or videos in action!
Old 04-15-2020, 04:05 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,113 Likes on 1,841 Posts

I see a lot of discussion on this thread about the benefits of sim racing as well as a debate of which wheel to use. What about the computer to use?

I bought a cheap computer from Tiger Direct a few years ago to go iRacing and it was horrible which is why I abandoned the effort.

What is the cheapest "I bought this and it worked out great" computer?"

I also want to connect it to my TV and will just use the HDMI. Already have a steering wheel and pedal rig which I use with xBox.

Just need to buy the wheel and computer and learned to call people racist names (I kid! I kid!).
Old 04-15-2020, 04:33 PM
Cadaver
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 47 Posts

I see a lot of discussion on this thread about the benefits of sim racing as well as a debate of which wheel to use. What about the computer to use?

I bought a cheap computer from Tiger Direct a few years ago to go iRacing and it was horrible which is why I abandoned the effort.

I also want to connect it to my TV and will just use the HDMI. Already have a steering wheel and pedal rig which I use with xBox.

Just need to buy the wheel and computer and learned to call people racist names (I kid! I kid!).
FWIW. not based on actual experience, but my research (here and elsewhere) looking for a good reasonably priced unit out of the box. I’m sure others will chime in on other options so I apologize if this causes confusion. I tend to mind-F decision such as these. So, as the usual trend goes, I mentally exhausted myself and just pulled the trigger and bought the damn thing. I’ll report back with my findings. I’m in same boat, using my tv and a Logitech G29 wheel/pedal setup to just get my feet wet without dropping $5k

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypow...?skuId=6362981
Old 04-15-2020, 04:35 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Just need to buy the wheel and computer and learned to call people racist names
Was waiting for that, LOL.

For the record, I thought it was gonna come a lot sooner, but I WAS SURE it was gonna be you who said it....or maybe Dave.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:45 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by switchface
Let's see some more pics of rigs or videos in action!
Testing my "in car" view similar to my HD2 setup LOL...

Has anyone seen the Jordan Taylor vid of him rolling his Sim rig in a crash LOL
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 04:55 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
Testing my "in car" view similar to my HD2 setup LOL...
https://youtu.be/KT9YAGiqhD4

Has anyone seen the Jordan Taylor vid of him rolling his Sim rig in a crash LOL
I actually enjoyed that Paul.

Not quite like watching you from the bleachers as you rip up the esses in the "goose", but a good watch none the less. (Can you tell I'm bored out of my gourd?)

Thanks for posting. I'm gonna video myself on my sim tonight and then watch how bad I drive. Never thought of doing the "in car" thing on a sim, but in these times......
Paul Solk (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 05:06 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dgrobs
I actually enjoyed that Paul.

Not quite like watching you from the bleachers as you rip up the esses in the "goose", but a good watch none the less. (Can you tell I'm bored out of my gourd?)

Thanks for posting. I'm gonna video myself on my sim tonight and then watch how bad I drive. Never thought of doing the "in car" thing on a sim, but in these times......
Haha, here is the in car from the PCA Sim Race last Friday... Sportsman class.
007DT (04-17-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 05:10 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 255 Posts

Old 04-15-2020, 05:33 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

The most realistic sim rig out there... Apparently something broke on his rig and it literally rolled him LOL
Old 04-16-2020, 12:50 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

@paul start with fixing the color of your gloves before you go for the more complex stuff
Paul Solk (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 01:10 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 44 Posts

Paul - have you tried turning the in-game wheel off? Your wheel looks nice; seeing a duplicate in my hands and on screen always threw me off, so I turned the in-game wheel off. Let me try to attach a quick example with the in-game wheel off (don't mind the quality, projectors are difficult to capture well on video)

I'd love to see a better angle of that Jordan crash, those SimCraft units can really roll ya! For fun, I once loaded up Mario Kart's Rainbow Road mod in Assetto Corsa. It was all fun until I remembered there is essentially a massive jump in the middle of outer-space. My motion rig nearly threw me out of the chair! Haven't loaded that up ever again lol

Last edited by switchface; 04-16-2020 at 01:49 PM. Reason: struggling with this file embed
Paul Solk (04-16-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 03:07 PM
BH987S
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. Anyone have experience with the Thrustmaster TS-XW Racer P310 Competition Mod wheel and pedal set? New setup on Windows 10 using a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 and Oculus Rift. I can't get the wheel and pedal to work properly. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, some improvement but after a computer restart iRacing loses the control setup and back to square one. Thrustmaster tech support not answering. Any ideas?
Old 04-29-2020, 11:03 AM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 150 Posts

Paul, looks like a really cool set up

I always have an issue with set ups not giving me brake feedback. I cant get that seat of your pants feeling when braking to figure out whats enough without over or under braking .On the track that has always been to me what sets most of us apart. Any of you guys find you set ups give you this feedback? This to me make my SIM experiences just frustrating .
Old 04-29-2020, 11:15 AM
matt33
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve113
Paul, looks like a really cool set up

I always have an issue with set ups not giving me brake feedback. I cant get that seat of your pants feeling when braking to figure out whats enough without over or under braking .On the track that has always been to me what sets most of us apart. Any of you guys find you set ups give you this feedback? This to me make my SIM experiences just frustrating .
Steve - do you have a good quality brake pedal that "loads"? Anything with a hydraulic damper should help a lot.. if you have not already tried that.

Then the only other things that come to mind (other than building a motion rig which is a whole different thing) are: sim vibe + transducers so you can feel traction loss with vibration and/or ensuring the graphics settings are such that it all feels lifelike. iRacing now supports pitch/roll/etc and I think that helps trick your senses into feeling g-force (a bit like the 360 degree movie theaters where you lean all over the place despite a level surface under your feet)

Matty

Quick Reply: Best Simulator Set Up - Hardware and Software