Sponsored by:

Video of Jules Bianchi crash

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 07:41 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,945 Likes on 1,745 Posts

Someone made the point that if this was a more high profile driver in a more high profile team, there would have already been changes made similar to when the Senna or the Earnhardt fatalities happened. I can't help but agree.

Personally, I thought the SC would come out once the downpour started up again and shocked that the drivers didn't go in for full wets at that point as it was coming down pretty hard.

F1 has always put marshalls at risk when clearing a car from the area and perhaps that needs to change in the dry and certainly in wet conditions.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:48 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by btwyx
130mph in 16ft would give you about 346g, not survivable.
130km/h (80mph) would be 133g, not survivable (Mythbusters use 100g as their survivability threshold).
45mph would be 41g, just about survivable.

100g in 16ft would give you 70mph
100 Gs is the typical but Mythbusters might want to talk to David Purley or Kenny Bräck about that, David survived 180 Gs and Kenny 214 Gs.

I think all this speculation of rate of speed is worthless, especially he didn't come to a complete stop like hitting a wall.
Besides, one day we will hear the real numbers.

This was a freak accident no doubt (and I have the same opinion with MJ, driver has to take major part of the blame in this case). I hope F1 doesn't adapt the US system of full course yellow for every little incident, those ruin the race.

And before you jump on me with "safety first", raving IS dangerous sport, always has been and the participant know it.

Last edited by Flying Finn; 10-08-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:35 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Bianchi had no chance. If u see auto week video again it shows it in slow mo. He took hit on left side helmet. Prayers man. Mike
I always wondered: Why are Formula cars running without a full roll cage (and a cabin)? I mean, there's a head in a helmet shooting through air at 150+mph without any protection around it. Is it aesthetics, tradition, or what?
Old 10-08-2014, 10:25 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I always wondered: Why are Formula cars running without a full roll cage (and a cabin)? I mean, there's a head in a helmet shooting through air at 150+mph without any protection around it. Is it aesthetics, tradition, or what?
Never ran open wheel cars but I know I won't like it when it's raining. Problem with open wheel cars they sit so low to the ground I doubt bianchi would be protected by a full cage and enclosed cockpit ie he went underneath rear of tractor. Maybe they need to redesign the tractor so with longer metal panels closer to the ground so prevents open carts going underneath if nothing else is done. Mike
Old 10-09-2014, 02:25 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I know huh! seems to crazy! even a bug at 220mph might do some damage.
Originally Posted by Flying Finn
100 Gs is the typical but Mythbusters might want to talk to David Purley or Kenny Bräck about that, David survived 180 Gs and Kenny 214 Gs.

I think all this speculation of rate of speed is worthless, especially he didn't come to a complete stop like hitting a wall.
Besides, one day we will hear the real numbers.

This was a freak accident no doubt (and I have the same opinion with MJ, driver has to take major part of the blame in this case). I hope F1 doesn't adapt the US system of full course yellow for every little incident, those ruin the race.

And before you jump on me with "safety first", raving IS dangerous sport, always has been and the participant know it.
those are the numbers I came close to figuring out too. based on survivability, and the film evidence and adjusted for the angles. I think 60 to 70mph was the right speed approximation. certainly not 130mph to 0 in the distance you can see.

similar to the Dale E. crash... everyone said he was going 170mph, but in actuality, it was about 40mph or less into the wall. (even though his speed was down the course was 150- 170mph.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:31 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Diffuse axonal injury is a grim prognosis.
So sad to see a promising young man struck down like this. Despite all the safety advances, this is still a very dangerous sport. Perhaps a miracle will happen.
Very sad indeed.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:44 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
I know huh! seems to crazy! even a bug at 220mph might do some damage.
It's one of the reasons I don't do open wheel racing. With Skip Barber I only race the MX-5s -- not the Formula cars. The exposed head freaks me out more than the open wheels. There are so many scenarios where your head could get in direct contact with something.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:46 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/
Old 10-09-2014, 03:58 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 776 Likes on 393 Posts

This:

http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/2014/10/07/2271/
Old 10-09-2014, 08:13 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Old 10-09-2014, 08:34 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
+1 This is exactly what the Finn, myself and others have been saying all along. The solution is don't change the racing at all.

The drovers must be held responsible for their actions.

The only major change I would even consider is, all the tracks must implement a Monaco type crane system.

Go Jules!
Old 10-09-2014, 08:51 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
+1 This is exactly what the Finn, myself and others have been saying all along. The solution is don't change the racing at all.

The drovers must be held responsible for their actions.

The only major change I would even consider is, all the tracks must implement a Monaco type crane system.

Go Jules!
Exactly, even though it was a violent accident and Jules got hurt bad, there's way too much "throwing the baby with bath water" with SC always, full course yellows etc.
No doubt many drivers will have demands this weekend when interviewed as they're the ones who don't respect the flags enough (had almost forgotten the Maldonado at Monaco which was/is a perfect example).

You don't need to slow down the whole track and/or bring SC when there is a problem at one turn, yellows it double yellows are enough, as long as drivers obey them.
Not slowing down enough to be able to stop during double yellow is equivalent of passing a SC.

Go JB!
Old 10-09-2014, 09:25 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

pretty sure there are no yellow lights around sazuka....only flags.
Several of the on board steering wheel screens were not working because of the water as shown by the world feed...
with the spray which im sure made it hard to see the flaggers, no track caution lights, no display on the steering wheel....he may not have even known it was a yellow in that section......

not an excuse but accidents/malfunctions do happen....and as other have said its a dangerous sport and things happen good and bad.

I also thought about making it so there was no possible way for cars to go under the crane but we have seen an accident with a local driver and a tow truck that has the bar in back for a bumper.....got lucky in that he is alive and walking but man it could been worse if not for luck...that bumper/bar just folded right up.

is there a good anwser to any of this ...not really....I just hope like most bad wrecks somethign is learned and changed to make sure it doesnt happen again or safer/less likely in the future.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:15 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT
pretty sure there are no yellow lights around sazuka....only flags.
...waved more apathetically than at any circuit I've ever seen.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:04 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

With just a helmet in pouring rain, no windshield, no wipers, with water spraying from cars in front, you'd be lucky if you see the lights of the car in front of you, much less someone waving flags from hundred yards away.

Quick Reply: Video of Jules Bianchi crash