Sponsored by:

Video of Jules Bianchi crash

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 09:25 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

When I was a kid, racing deaths were so common and a lot of people worked hard to change it.

40 years later, safety has improved so much I think organizers are getting sloppy.

I did two PCA Club Races this year and in both of them we sat for half an hour while they repaired the tire wall, but in both Race Control sent wreckers out on the track under green flag conditions. Some call these "white flag hot pulls"... I call them irresponsible.

Here is a case where the F1 TV deal trumps safety. Let the show go on...

It's Bianchi in a Marussia... sad press releases, heartfelt press releases with condolences to the family, and BS BAU.

If it had been Alonso in a Ferrari, it would be a totally different story.

Organizers want to substitute the "appearance" of safety for actual safety, and a 10 ton lift vehicle is not a tire wall.

Hypocracy.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:38 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jbossolo
Very bad. Not 10% chance of recovery. It's 10% chance of EVER waking from coma. Those few that recover are usually severely impaired. Hoping for a miracle, because that's exactly what it will take at this point.
This is like the mother of all completely avoidable tragedies.
It's like we woke up and it's 1972 F1 all over again.
How many billlions does F1 spend to go an extra 0.5 seconds faster?
But to make sure people know how run a wet race safely?
This can be nothing but criminal negligence.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:30 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

Racing is dangerous. If you as an F1 driver value your life and others, be aware of standard FIA procedure and ask for changes (GPDA). Furthermore, if Massa cannot see when Hamilton says go - pull in and stop, make it known to the public that you believe it is unsafe before someone gets hurt.

It is lucky no one else was killed in this incident. Cranes would help but will not always be possible. I also think that who ever fills Charlie Whiting's role needs to be intimately aware of each track under all circumstances.

Let's not have any knee jerk reactions to this horrendous accident.

I sincerely hope the best for Bianchi.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:30 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Late to the party, but a few thoughts here, as I've been following this closely:

-We haven't had an F1 fatality in 20 years (Senna/Ratzenberger). It's a better record than almost any other pro sport.
-Lucky that none of the vulnerable safety workers were impacted here
-I read that the roll hoop and airbox were torn off the car (not to mention the left side). Could easily have been decap'd.
-Dunlop corner is treacherous and was all day, and just after a blind rise in the road. Jules might not have seen much.
-Jules is the grandson of Lucien Bianchi, a former F1 driver and LeMans winner, and unfortunately; also a racing fatality.

I'm as upset and affected by this as any of you. Not much hope so far.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:55 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Bianchi had no chance. If u see auto week video again it shows it in slow mo. He took hit on left side helmet. Prayers man. Mike
Old 10-07-2014, 10:59 PM
drdrank
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by facelvega
While a double yellow seems quite appropriate for what was happening, could someone explain the fellow in the #12 flag tower in the upper right of the frame waving a green flag?
They seemed to be waving a green flag before Bianchi crashed and then kept waving it after.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:19 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Here's the data cast showing Bianchi doing in the neighborhood of 200km/h. Yes it shows a drop right at the end but honestly the resolution is too crappy for that to be a definite change. Any way you cut it there is no way he was doing 45ish.

My guess is that he was doing 200+ through there like everyone else. Once he lost traction there really wasn't any way for him to get it slowed down much at all. So I'm gonna go with the impact speed north of 100mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DS33TY50CU#t=111
Thanks for posting the data, 212kph when he left the track and a little less at point of impact.

The new video that's out clearly shows his helmet having major impact with the sloped underside of the crane, just awful.

I also wonder how Sutil's mental state is, I would not have wanted to see that in person.

Prayers to Jules and his family.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,128 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by mj951
Thanks for posting the data, 212kph when he left the track and a little less at point of impact.

The new video that's out clearly shows his helmet having major impact with the sloped underside of the crane, just awful.

I also wonder how Sutil's mental state is, I would not have wanted to see that in person.

Prayers to Jules and his family.
^^THIS^^
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-08-2014, 08:57 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,548 Likes on 818 Posts

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3...al-but-stable/
Old 10-08-2014, 11:00 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

a few words from myself if I may...

1. You would respect Jules and his family more by not posting the videos here - if FIA wanted them to be removed, there is a reason.

2. the "technical discussion" on the speed with which he hit the truck..what will it change? nothing - unfortunately he is in a condition where we will probably see him never walking again, smiling etc. It makes me sad as he was one of the few young ones out there with talent (compared to Guiterrez or other paying drivers), and it happens to him.

3. The discussion on "who´s fault is it"..is also..; its a connection of unlucky circumstances (like the Senna accident); many people forget that despite 20 years without fatality, F1 had some serious luck also in the last years (Kubica, etc..) - only this time the luck has probably run out. Maybe the safety car should have been already there..maybe Jules didnt reduce the speed enough under double yellow..but let the relevant FIA committee analyse it.

4. I have driven some single seater cars as well (up to GP2, just for fun) - and I can tell you that in the rain its very difficult to sense when such a car will spin off (happened to me as well) - obviously my talent is not to be compared with the pros.

My thoughts are now with him, his family etc and hoping that a miracle will happen, although Im not a doctor my impression is that after reading the wikipedia link that there are even less chances for him compared to Michael.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:49 AM
MikeJim
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And the F1 circus has already packed up and moved down the road to Sochi, Russia... a race that wasn't supposed to happen and now, apparently, will... with the specter of Bianchi hanging over the series.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:44 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 872 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by P_collector
Guys,

a few words from myself if I may...

1. You would respect Jules and his family more by not posting the videos here - if FIA wanted them to be removed, there is a reason.

2. the "technical discussion" on the speed with which he hit the truck..what will it change? nothing - unfortunately he is in a condition where we will probably see him never walking again, smiling etc. It makes me sad as he was one of the few young ones out there with talent (compared to Guiterrez or other paying drivers), and it happens to him.

3. The discussion on "who´s fault is it"..is also..; its a connection of unlucky circumstances (like the Senna accident); many people forget that despite 20 years without fatality, F1 had some serious luck also in the last years (Kubica, etc..) - only this time the luck has probably run out. Maybe the safety car should have been already there..maybe Jules didnt reduce the speed enough under double yellow..but let the relevant FIA committee analyse it.

4. I have driven some single seater cars as well (up to GP2, just for fun) - and I can tell you that in the rain its very difficult to sense when such a car will spin off (happened to me as well) - obviously my talent is not to be compared with the pros.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:21 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S

I did two PCA Club Races this year and in both of them we sat for half an hour while they repaired the tire wall, but in both Race Control sent wreckers out on the track under green flag conditions. Some call these "white flag hot pulls"... I call them irresponsible.

Organizers want to substitute the "appearance" of safety for actual safety, and a 10 ton lift vehicle is not a tire wall.

Hypocracy.
So when you saw the white flag and emergency vehicle on track did you park your car or pull into the pits? If not, you've demonstrated a much better definition of hyprocracy than the race organizers.

Personally I love hot extractions as it allows for more track time. I'd like to think that my fellow racers and myself are more than capable of slower down and safely navigating around the obstacle just as we would a slow moving race car or a parked race car under yellow conditions. Yes there are exceptions, but those exceptions should not have a racing license, and that is a different issue.

Racing is dangerous. Statistically speaking there will be an occasional catastrophe. Creating a sport that is perfectly safe would probably be a whole lot less fun than what we enjoy now. Think auto cross with bowling lane style bumpers marking the track and cars powered by a 9v battery. I'll pass.

Drivers understand the rules, know the conditions ahead of time, an can choose to accept that risk and drive or watch from the sidelines. Don't like hot extractions? Then don't race at tracks that perform them. I choose personal responsibility before blaming others.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:01 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Another sad irony here; don't forget that Maria Villota also suffered her accident in a Marrusia.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:45 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm not buying the 'it was too dark to see the yellows' statements - in pitch black, the driver still sees the yellow flag lights on along the track and on their steering wheel. Even yellow flags can be seen in dim light. This isn't driving in rush hour traffic with neon signs flashing about - its a closed racing circuit with only designated signage and signals.

The flags, from all accounts, were deployed properly. Double yellow before the accident (to warn drivers to slow down and even prepare to slow to a stop, and greens after the affected site to indicate its clear to race from 'the flag onward' (not from the point you see the green flag).

Calls for safety cars when there is a crane on the track but not when marshals are pushing cars -what are you saying, that the marshals are not worth protecting? In all cases, in a local crash that isn't in a direct run-off on the outside of a turn or end of a straight, there is no need for a safety car. Flags are fine. There needs to be some responsibility in the drivers to slow the F down at the yellows and not drive past their skill and conditions.

There was a rainstorm. Yes there was a typhoon off the coast, but at the track it was nothing more than normal rain - something that can be perfectly well raced in. Massa, if he cannot see well anymore or has lost is courage, needs to retire.

F1 is motor racing and is an inherently dangerous sport. That we have this one effective fatality in how many years... is a testament to how safe the sport has become.. but it will NEVER be 100% safe and still worth watching/doing. Drivers are on the ragged edge out there, and have to be willing to say, "With this equipment and my skill, this is as fast as I'm going to go." The one out there keeping the driver from killing themselves is first and foremost the driver. Drivers were making those turns just fine in intermediate tires without issue.

Quick Reply: Video of Jules Bianchi crash