Sponsored by:

Video of Jules Bianchi crash

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 04:29 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,299 Likes on 1,951 Posts

WOW he had hardly scrubbed off any speed! If BIA is about 6 feet to the left, he probably hits the marshall and kills him (not saying this is a good thing, just an observation from this video as it's the first I've seen of it), but probably walks away as it's better to have an F1 car hit a 9 ton bulldozer straight on rather than a glancing blow that shears the roll hoop and almost his head.

Having the dozer on the track is normal and done at nearly every venue with the exception of the street courses like Monaco, Montreal etc. where large lift cranes are in stationary positions behind armco.

That being said, I've always been amazed at the risk F1 sometimes takes to not bring out a safety car for crashes or incidents for fear of bunching up the field and taking away the advantage of the lead car(s). Perhaps it's time to revisit that policy.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:32 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Hitting it with the other car on the hook may have helped. That at least made the *** end a bit lighter.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:42 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
WOW he had hardly scrubbed off any speed! If BIA is about 6 feet to the left, he probably hits the marshall and kills him (not saying this is a good thing, just an observation from this video as it's the first I've seen of it), but probably walks away as it's better to have an F1 car hit a 9 ton bulldozer straight on rather than a glancing blow that shears the roll hoop and almost his head.

Having the dozer on the track is normal and done at nearly every venue with the exception of the street courses like Monaco, Montreal etc. where large lift cranes are in stationary positions behind armco.

That being said, I've always been amazed at the risk F1 sometimes takes to not bring out a safety car for crashes or incidents for fear of bunching up the field and taking away the advantage of the lead car(s). Perhaps it's time to revisit that policy.
If he did go straighton woulda been worse imo. As much as how much safer the f1 car shell is hitting a fixed structure headon is recipe for disaster. Im pretty sure if he went underneath on the rear of tractor he probably go underneath tractor if between the wheels - he won't have a head. Mike
Old 10-06-2014, 04:51 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,299 Likes on 1,951 Posts

^^ Could be, but I was thinking more of a direct hit on those big tires. If he does underneath, it's a different story. It's amazing what these cars can absorb.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:56 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OMG. Yes- I see that green flag waving . WTF. But he wasn't looking there. They said double yellow at corner.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:00 PM
btwyx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like he was doing about 45mph (7 frames to travel a car length), which is a much more reasonable speed than some speculation I've seen. He'd have been in much better shape if he had hit the wheel, then it would have impacted the front crash structure which is designed for this sort of thing. The rear crash structure is not designed for a sheering impact like that, so it got taken off. Nothing was protecting Bianchi's head at that point, apart from the helmet, which I'm also pretty sure is not designed for a sheering impact like that.

That's pretty much a worst case scenario.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:01 PM
btwyx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
OMG. Yes- I see that green flag waving . WTF. But he wasn't looking there. They said double yellow at corner.
The green would be saying the track is clear after this point, which is correct, the double waving yellow would be at the previous station, saying be careful with the next bit, up to and including the tractor.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:03 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Green flag waving was past the incident. It looks much closer because of the zoom being used distorting relative distances. This is fully normal for FIA flagging and honestly something I wish we would use here in all groups in the US, not just a flag stand that may or may not be occupied, not waving anything.

The local yellow rules seem to work just fine for dry conditions. I believe there is monitoring of segment times and such to make sure the drivers are maintaing a reasonable speed. In the wet all things are off and this is a good reason for FIA to go back to the rules and look at how to address hot track pulls in non-ideal conditions.

As for speed, I don't see a 1500 pound car moving a 15000 pound tractor that much going only 45mph.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:56 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Noooooooooooooo, not my boy Jules. I missed the race and will watch it tonight. I was picking him to replace Kimi at Ferrari. The latest news I saw was that he suffered a major head injury and went in for surgery. It doesn't sound too good. Come on Jules, I'm pulling for ya.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:01 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a shocking video. Last night I looked at numerous pictures and the track on Google Earth. Nothing made sense. Tractor looked pristine.. Never thought he went under the tractor.

He's lucky to be alive.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:06 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,928 Likes on 1,783 Posts

That is waaaaaay worse than I thought it was. It is a miracle he is alive.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:23 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Green flag waving was past the incident. It looks much closer because of the zoom being used distorting relative distances. This is fully normal for FIA flagging and honestly something I wish we would use here in all groups in the US, not just a flag stand that may or may not be occupied, not waving anything.

The local yellow rules seem to work just fine for dry conditions. I believe there is monitoring of segment times and such to make sure the drivers are maintaing a reasonable speed. In the wet all things are off and this is a good reason for FIA to go back to the rules and look at how to address hot track pulls in non-ideal conditions.

As for speed, I don't see a 1500 pound car moving a 15000 pound tractor that much going only 45mph.
That's what I've been saying.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:39 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 872 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Think about a 5 ounce baseball thrown at 45 mph hitting an object weighing 50 ounces (3.125 lbs). That 50 ounce object is going to move quite a bit.

That 45 mph speed estimate is quite believable.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

An article in motorsport.com reports seeing the telemetry. 130+ mph is what they report and that he was accelerating before the end of the yellow zone.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ye...he-whole-story
Old 10-06-2014, 09:09 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 872 Likes on 431 Posts

Look here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/com...eo_243/cl1ydee

This estimate of 90 MPH seems more reasonable than either 45 MPH or 130+ MPH.

Quick Reply: Video of Jules Bianchi crash