Sponsored by:

Watkins Glen Club Race

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 07:00 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

The Blue qualifying session was more like a Blue DE run group. Not sure what was going on but it was as if the lead car was treating the out lap like a pace lap and it was a train the entire session. I was in a line of cars as far as the eye could see turing laps 5 seconds slower than any other session until the last 2 laps or so.

Not sure what happened there but I've never seen a train like that in a race group.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:50 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 881 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by MRW
Would appreciate any knowledge from the group as to how much fuel you use in a 90 minute race. Thanks.
Full tank plus 5.5 gal.

BTW - looks like GTB Caymans eat Cups for breakfast!
Old 06-02-2014, 08:18 PM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
The Blue qualifying session was more like a Blue DE run group. Not sure what was going on but it was as if the lead car was treating the out lap like a pace lap and it was a train the entire session. I was in a line of cars as far as the eye could see turing laps 5 seconds slower than any other session until the last 2 laps or so.

Not sure what happened there but I've never seen a train like that in a race group.

Agreed - sometimes guys don't get the sense of urgency on an out lap under yellow....they drive around at 50%, never really warming up the tires or breaks, thereby requiring yet another lap once the green drops. No reason you can't drive 85-90% on the yellow.....just don't pass.

On a positive note - I noticed everybody seemed to have there act together for the starts - I think I only saw one wave off. Not like the red group at the limerick race

Party on Hunt
Old 06-02-2014, 09:11 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 174 Posts

I'm not sure what was with the yellow out lap in qualifying to begin with.

Originally Posted by danielyonker
On a positive note - I noticed everybody seemed to have there act together for the starts - I think I only saw one wave off. Not like the red group at the limerick race

Party on Hunt
There was one in the orange enduro but I think it was for a dead car not disorganization.

..and I've got a tranny for hunt if he needs it so he has very little excuse not to make it to VIR!
Old 06-02-2014, 09:15 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
Yep, I think that was a mistake.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:18 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SoClose
Congrats to Daniel for the sale of his GT4 car- and that it was put to good use already.
Im hoping the new owner brings it to VIR

Want another GT4 to play with...
Old 06-02-2014, 09:22 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sbelles

There was one in the orange enduro but I think it was for a dead car not disorganization.

..and I've got a tranny for hunt if he needs it so he has very little excuse not to make it to VIR!
Working on it! Very nice offer btw.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:23 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Leave your mumu at home this time, Hunt
Old 06-02-2014, 09:27 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Hater
Old 06-02-2014, 09:33 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Old 06-02-2014, 09:44 PM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Permafrost
I was at WGI for the first time last weekend, and so came up for the DE on Thursday to get some familiarity with the track. Two out of four sessions were two laps or less due to incidents on track. So, this isn't just a race thing. This is, in my opinion, a function of a technical track, with little run off, and people driving cars.

But on a positive note, my experience was that the racers were generally (not universally) aware of their surroundings and fellow drivers. The racing was competitive and serious, but also courteous and respectful. When the race was over, drivers were high-fiving each other on their performance and, in my case, being welcoming hosts to those from out of town.

I'm all for improving the program, and think there are some great suggestions here. At the same time, I wouldn't want those who weren't there to think it was a disastrous weekend. As far as I'm concerned, I thought it was a great weekend with great racing.

Jim
Best post of the thread. Congrats on the great finishes for a WGI virgin
(musta been Ron)
Old 06-02-2014, 09:54 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by joeykid
honk honk. thats some funny stuff right there. thank goodness it was funny and not tragic. guy is totally clueless and it coul dbe the easiest place to see someone coming up the back straight, with the emergency chute available at the busstop. very unaware.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:13 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1

Yeah that was dumb. I've never seen anybody do that in the first, non-gridded, practice session. Qualifying? Yes. Practice ONE? No.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:50 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 147 Posts

Good Hands needs to post the pic of Hunt's Snuggie Hoodie! Too bad he didn't sport the Urban Sombrero.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:55 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to publicly thank VR for his great coaching last weekend. I managed to shave 1.1 seconds off my previous best (also done under the supervision of Dave) and I did it with a broken front lest shock!!! 2:17:3 with a 144hp car!

I did left some time in the Laces, but apart from that, I was right there, notwithstanding the state of the car.

I was pretty happy of my driving! With a good shock and without the fear of crashing (laces) this car that is not mine, I'm pretty sure I could have done 2:16:3, which would have been 0.3 sec off Chris Green best time (GT3 Cup Canada driver).

THANKS DAVE!!!!

c.

Quick Reply: Watkins Glen Club Race