Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watkins Glen Club Race

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014 | 12:29 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

I don't necessarily think it should be harder to get a PCA license. But I do think it should be harder to KEEP one.

For the most part, some decent racing in the Blue and Purple groups. But there were some glaring exceptions. I witnessed some really bad behavior and over aggressive driving from one SPB driver in particular. I watched him get involved with an incident with contact in EACH of the Sprint races (and he raced his banged up car in the Enduro on Sunday).

On a more positive note: here's a shout out to Evan who won the hotly contested E class points Sprint on Saturday. And Doug, as usual, dominated G class and most of H class too. Those guys know how to get it done.
Old 06-02-2014 | 12:38 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by danielyonker
This weekend was my 3rd race in F Class and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The car is not nearly as engaging as my former GT4 beast, but the racing is way better in terms of attendance and wheel to wheel activity. Most everybody was extremely competent and well mannered on the track. At the same time, none of the people I was racing with were giving away anything without making me work for it. I could tell after several laps of the first race that these guys were going to be hard but fair - I trusted them immediately, which is a great feeling on the track. Subsequent discussions with the fellow racers after the event only solidified my observations.

Racing is a thinking man's game and it takes a while to figure it out. I am only now really starting to enjoy and appreciate the strategy and patience required to pull off a satisfying win. Perhaps I'm a slow learner, but it has taken me five years and about 90 starts to put this all together. So much is involved in learning how to actually drive consistently fast and smooth that it is sometimes hard to focus on race craft and strategy. It is not until you become comfortable and proficient at the driving and associated tasks that you can really start to focus on the game. If you are death griping the wheel and not breathing properly, then chances are you are not entirely comfortable behind the wheel yet.

I still have a long way to go. I watched in car video of this weekends race and am discouraged with some of my techniques that I thought were sound. I continue to shuffle steer in some corners and pull the wheel with one hand as opposed to push with the other. And when I get pressured my shifting becomes frantic and i tend to miss shift. Good old ham hands.

https://vimeo.com/97080829
Great post. So True. I've been racing 18 years and the missed shifts will still come and cost you. I can always find fault with my techniques and often see a race video and think. " I suck". video to follow when I get some time.

Bob
Old 06-02-2014 | 12:40 PM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by Astroman
I don't necessarily think it should be harder to get a PCA license. But I do think it should be harder to KEEP one. For the most part, some decent racing in the Blue and Purple groups. But there were some glaring exceptions. I witnessed some really bad behavior and over aggressive driving from one SPB driver in particular. I watched him get involved with an incident with contact in EACH of the Sprint races (and he raced his banged up car in the Enduro on Sunday). On a more positive note: here's a shout out to Evan who won the hotly contested E class points Sprint on Saturday. And Doug, as usual, dominated G class and most of H class too. Those guys know how to get it done.
Yes to the shout out to Evan. I will post video of our battle. Best way to return to racing.
Old 06-02-2014 | 01:38 PM
SoClose
Racer

Crazy weekend, as stated before a lot of incidents in the Red group, and the Black DE group on Thursday.
Thank You Pete for putting on another great show- you've left high standards to meet with the new crew taking over for you next year.
Congrats to Daniel for the sale of his GT4 car- and that it was put to good use already.
Old 06-02-2014 | 01:56 PM
joeykid
Instructor

I was a hectic weekend. I am not sure why the focus is on the Red Run Group. I saw plenty of Caymans and 944's crashed. I dont think there were anymore crashes from the red group than the Caymans. There were a lot of cars on track and probably the biggest issue is the lack of run off at this track. Most mistakes are greeted with a coat of blue paint. I agree it was terrible to see so many crashes, and having been involved in one of the incidents, I would also like to see a safer racing environment. the bottom line is that there will always be some out on the track that have more talent or work harder and those that are on the bottom of the charts. We need to learn to race with all of them. During the enduro,I was on the back straight after the esses passing a cup on my left that was going at half speed and was drifting towards me with no idea I was coming. Scary! No awareness what so ever. I thought he was going to kill me. when I buzzed past him he probably wet himself. This was after my first incident in Red qualifying. How do you weed him out of club racing?
Old 06-02-2014 | 02:06 PM
joeykid
Instructor

https://vimeo.com/97140720
Old 06-02-2014 | 02:14 PM
danielyonker
Pro

Originally Posted by joeykid
I was a hectic weekend. I am not sure why the focus is on the Red Run Group. I saw plenty of Caymans and 944's crashed. I dont think there were anymore crashes from the red group than the Caymans. There were a lot of cars on track and probably the biggest issue is the lack of run off at this track. Most mistakes are greeted with a coat of blue paint. I agree it was terrible to see so many crashes, and having been involved in one of the incidents, I would also like to see a safer racing environment. the bottom line is that there will always be some out on the track that have more talent or work harder and those that are on the bottom of the charts. We need to learn to race with all of them. During the enduro,I was on the back straight after the esses passing a cup on my left that was going at half speed and was drifting towards me with no idea I was coming. Scary! No awareness what so ever. I thought he was going to kill me. when I buzzed past him he probably wet himself. This was after my first incident in Red qualifying. How do you weed him out of club racing?
GTB Caymans are the new cups
Old 06-02-2014 | 02:15 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Joe, yikes! Was that on a green flag track? Looked like you were looking for your horn...
Old 06-02-2014 | 02:24 PM
joeykid
Instructor

Green Flag! I wanted to wake him up, looking for a horn.
Old 06-02-2014 | 02:32 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

We had a similar driver in the Blue group for morning warm up, but it didn't end well for that driver unfortunately wrecking the car at the end of the session. The driver was a rookie and I believe their first weekend, but proceeded to line up at the front of the warmup session, in front of most of the cars that had qualified up front. It then proceeded to drive completely unaware that there were 4 cars around it trying to get by to go faster and warm up the tires. It almost took myself, Dan and Ari out at different points in the 3 laps it took to work around it. For me it was the poster child of a driver who was far beyond their comfort level and situational awareness. I would post a video of it, but its just to embarrassing for the driver concerned I think.
Old 06-02-2014 | 02:34 PM
pcbloom
Advanced

Well, at the very least that video provides a teaching moment. If you are being overtaken... stay on your line (in this instance, track left all the way up to the braking zone) and be predictable for the overtaking car. This video almost makes it seem like the driver in the black/blue cup car was trying to be nice and move off the racing line for you, but clearly didn't comprehend the closing speeds.
Nice driving!
Old 06-02-2014 | 02:35 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yikes... Love the horn button reflex. Glad you made it through OK. The Glen is like driving in a tunnel.
Old 06-02-2014 | 02:37 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Wow WTF, You need and air horn, as I can't hear Savenors Cup car horn. The air compressor will add weight, but it might be worth it.
LOL
Old 06-02-2014 | 03:00 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mmuller
We had a similar driver in the Blue group for morning warm up, but it didn't end well for that driver unfortunately wrecking the car at the end of the session. The driver was a rookie and I believe their first weekend, but proceeded to line up at the front of the warmup session, in front of most of the cars that had qualified up front. It then proceeded to drive completely unaware that there were 4 cars around it trying to get by to go faster and warm up the tires. It almost took myself, Dan and Ari out at different points in the 3 laps it took to work around it. For me it was the poster child of a driver who was far beyond their comfort level and situational awareness. I would post a video of it, but its just to embarrassing for the driver concerned I think.
This reminds me of the scene in Chasing Amy, when Amy is chatting with her lesbian friends and doesn't want to reveal that she's now dating a dude.
Old 06-02-2014 | 03:09 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by danielyonker
GTB Caymans are the new cups
I feel like the guy with a knife at a gun fight.

During the enduro,I was on the back straight after the esses passing a cup on my left that was going at half speed and was drifting towards me with no idea I was coming. Scary! No awareness what so ever. I thought he was going to kill me. when I buzzed past him he probably wet himself. This was after my first incident in Red qualifying. How do you weed him out of club racing?
The car is a GTB1 car not a cup. And he was having mechanical issues. Not that it excuses it. I believe he was trying to get onto the grass and off the track. Not a smart move at all. I do know this particular driver started racing last year and does not have a ton of experience. A learning moment indeed... hopefully.

Quick Reply: Watkins Glen Club Race