Sponsored by:

PCA club race at Monticello Oct 10-12

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 12:01 PM
RedBaron326
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jas0nn
I sent a note to the registrars asking about the speed differences we'll see in the black races - and received a note back from Vikki that didn't really address the safety aspect, but did say the track was long enough to comfortably accommodate 40 cars.

Personally, I'm not so worried about 40 cars - or even 60 cars - but I am worried about Cup/GTB1 drivers trying to work through significantly slower traffic, getting anxious/frustrated on a narrow track and that possibility opening the door to contact. I'd much prefer a little less track time in exchange for more quality race time. But I'm at the slower end of the field, others may feel differently - and I'll still be there going as quickly as I possibly can.
Hi Everyone,
Please understand that PCA National makes the final determination of the track schedule, number of run groups, and run group size (classes in each run group). So, if you have any questions/concerns regarding those topics, you can bring them up at the driver's meeting with our Race Steward, Vicki Earnshaw, who is also the PCA National Chief Steward. As the Chief Steward, Vicki has been around the racing scene for some time and has lots of experience with PCA Club Racing. I know first-hand that a lot of thought was put into the schedule and many things were considered. For the car/run group counts, the size of the track alone (3.6 miles) can support over 70+ cars at once so although the track may be narrow in some locations, there is plenty of space to have cars spread out. In addition, we have had several late cancellations for a sudden and unexpected personal loss - this has taken the total driver count to just less than 90 drivers total. So, the lower driver count, the size of the track, and the number of cars per run group were all taken into account. if we were to continue with a 3 run group schedule, it was felt that cars would be mainly driving alone out on track with it being 3.6 miles long. For concerns about passing (speed differential), Vicki will be instructing the corner workers to make frequent use of the blue passing flags so that slower cars will be aware of faster cars approaching. I'm sure she will share all of her thoughts with everyone at the driver's meeting. Please understand we are all trying our best to make the racing as enjoyable, and safe as possible, for everyone.
Thanks, Marty Kocse, RTR Track Chair
Old 10-08-2014, 12:07 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you for your explanation. While I admit that I do not agree with some of your premises, I do thank you for your charitable service and your efforts.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:39 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I would just worry about the SP1,2,3's doing things that would encroach on your track time
Old 10-08-2014, 05:06 PM
por944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What's up with all the Negative Waves?

Old 10-08-2014, 06:44 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by por944s2
What's up with all the Negative Waves?

Negative Waves Scenes from Kelly's Heroes Movie - YouTube
I'll see your oddball and raise you

Old 10-08-2014, 10:35 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

This is certainly a dangerous situation and am advising my fellow gtb1 drivers to withdraw from the competition for safety concerns. I realize it would give me the points championship but sometimes you need to think about safety first....
Old 10-08-2014, 11:19 PM
RedBaron326
AutoX

Originally Posted by good hands
This is certainly a dangerous situation and am advising my fellow gtb1 drivers to withdraw from the competition for safety concerns. I realize it would give me the points championship but sometimes you need to think about safety first....
I can assure you that PCA National certainly took safety into consideration before making their decision.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:25 PM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Everybody quit stressing, go race, coexist and have fun. I have been in at least 3 enduros where they combined all the run groups and things worked out just fine. Its all about traffic awareness and coexisting - great learning experience. Wish I were there with y'all
Old 10-08-2014, 11:27 PM
RedBaron326
AutoX

FYI - Unofficially speaking, the points races will be the second race on Sat afternoon and the first race on Sunday morning. If enough racers stick around for Sunday afternoon, then we will continue with two race groups for the final race as well. I would hope that everyone sticks it out for a full weekend of racing.
Marty
Old 10-08-2014, 11:28 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yonkers +1
Old 10-09-2014, 12:13 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
Best post of the thread!
Old 10-09-2014, 08:38 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
Rennlist Member

They basically did the same thing at the support races at NJMP. They had E's on up iirc
Old 10-09-2014, 09:05 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

At Summit Point they put SpecBoxster with F-H and GT4S. It worked and everybody was clean but definitely a different race than when we run with E and D.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:13 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
They basically did the same thing at the support races at NJMP. They had E's on up iirc
You are correct, at NJMP support races there has always been only 1 run group for all classes and it was a blast.......

Be alert an have fun you all!
Old 10-09-2014, 09:38 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Several time at Mosport they ran one combined enduro with everyone. There would be a 356 that would be lapped every few laps by RSR Cups - but everyone played nice. Scott, are you concerned that you won't be able to pass slower cars safely?

Quick Reply: PCA club race at Monticello Oct 10-12