Sponsored by:

PCA club race at Monticello Oct 10-12

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 09:47 AM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
I would just worry about the SP1,2,3's doing things that would encroach on your track time
Track time.....Take a look at the numbers, there would not even be an event here with out these classes. And actually, PCA would not have the opportunity to race at Monticello this year were it not for track management inviting the 944's to have their Nationals there. So instead of pointing the finger at a specific group of race drivers, how about some love for the front engine pilots
Old 10-09-2014, 04:01 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Cup
Track time.....Take a look at the numbers, there would not even be an event here with out these classes. And actually, PCA would not have the opportunity to race at Monticello this year were it not for track management inviting the 944's to have their Nationals there. So instead of pointing the finger at a specific group of race drivers, how about some love for the front engine pilots
Easy there Dad. Just a little good natured teasing. I may come over to the dark side myself after I get some business taken care of.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:20 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

I raced at a couple of the NJMP PCA support races in a lower HP car. It simply required a heightened level of track awareness, passing and being passed. I found following the faster cars helpful to push beyond my comfort zone.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:06 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 830 Likes on 512 Posts

Terrific day today. This is the most rack time I have ever had during any PCA Race Practice. Everybody played nice and had a great time.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:56 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Terrific day today. This is the most rack time I have ever had during any PCA Race Practice. Everybody played nice and had a great time.
+1 and the track is a lot of fun. Rain for qualifying tomorrow could make it interesting.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:12 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

What a great weekend!!! Some great and close racing on a new track for many of us. A total of 690 (!) track miles for me at Monticello since Thursday.

Warm-up and Qualifying on Saturday morning was in the rain with two great races in the afternoon in the dry. With the sun out we had a 40 minute race on Sunday morning and a "combine all groups" race on Sunday afternoon with great Fall weather.

There was some very high level of awareness given the speed differentials in the Black group and there seemed to be some good racing in the White all 944 group too.

The track will have its critics: Yes, the track is narrow and it is hard to pass except on the three straights. Yes, the start/finish is well within the braking zone for the first turn. Yes, the Green Flag always came down late in order for speeds into the first corner to be slow. Yes, the first two turns after the start cause cars to pile up.

BUT - this was a wonderful event with some great racing. Thank you to Marty and MMC and everybody that made this happen!!

Black Group - Race 3 Start:
Old 10-12-2014, 06:26 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

What a great weekend!!! Some great and close racing on a new track for many of us. A total of 690 (!) track miles for me at Monticello since Thursday.

Warm-up and Qualifying on Saturday morning was in the rain with two great races in the afternoon in the dry. With the sun out we had a 40 minute race on Sunday morning and a "combine all groups" race on Sunday afternoon with great Fall weather.

There was some very high level of awareness given the speed differentials in the Black group and there seemed to be some good racing in the White all 944 group too.

The track will have its critics: Yes, the track is narrow and it is hard to pass except on the three straights. Yes, the start/finish is well within the braking zone for the first turn. Yes, the Green Flag always came down late in order for speeds into the first corner to be slow. Yes, the first two turns after the start cause cars to pile up.

BUT - this was a wonderful event with some great racing. Thank you to Marty and MMC and everybody that made this happen!!

http://vimeo.com/108731481
It doesn't sounds like this is not going to be an annual race...... am I understanding you wrong?
Old 10-12-2014, 07:04 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
It doesn't sounds like this is not going to be an annual race...... am I understanding you wrong?
I asked around and everybody was pretty non-committal about next year. Looks like a lot of things had to be aligned to make this one happen.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:56 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Amazing weekend!!! Can't say how much I enjoyed this event and venue. Worth every penny... have to say it was one of my most enjoyable club race weekends ever.

Kudos to Marty for organizing the event, the PCA national staff, the RTR volunteers, and the MMC staff for putting on a stellar event.

Four fantastic days of driving at a truly wonderful facility, with the Fall Catskills Foliage in the background, cool crisp sunny days (except Saturday morning), and great racing. I was a bit skeptical about the disparity of speeds in the combined run group... but I have to say everyone behaved themselves and coexisted with situational awareness and courtesy (except perhaps the start of sprint 1.... one o the MMC instructors mentioned that he didn't think it was physically possible to go three wide through the first corner.... guess we proved him wrong)

Thanks again to Marty and Vicky for putting on a great event

MMC really knows how to run a track event.... Have to say it was a nice touch having hot cocoa deliveries to my trailer every morning (and yes, I think the MMC uniform is black tights and knee-high boots)

I don't think I ever saw one of the MMC staff without a smile on their face. MMC staff were everywhere checking up on things and making sure everyone was having a good time. (thanks Matt, Jenna and Chris)

And the food was fantastic!!!

oh yeah... and I got to have a beer with Brian Redman.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:25 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

I agree. It couldn't have been better. Except maybe if it would have rained all weekend.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:17 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones
Amazing weekend!!! Can't say how much I enjoyed this event and venue. Worth every penny... have to say it was one of my most enjoyable club race weekends ever.
Yes!!

The track was better than I expected for wheel-to-wheel racing. It's also a great equalizer for high HP cars vs lightweight, good handling cars. The layout is fantastic- it's possible to keep much more powerful cars behind you as there are some great twisty bits before the straights. I had good battles in race 2 with two J class cars in my little F/G class 2.7RS. I took today off to get some work done because I did all I wanted yesterday, and am not running for national points.

Hope to do it again next year, thanks to MMC and all the friendly officials!
Old 10-12-2014, 11:48 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

http://vimeo.com/108731481
I called it a weekend after a bad wheel bearing got much worse at the end of sprint 2 but that start looks a whole lot more organized then the first two.
Here's the start of sprint 2:

https://vimeo.com/108748566

Last edited by sbelles; 10-13-2014 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:11 AM
por944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sprint #1, started in 27th, on a still wet track, but placed 4th in class. I didn't go out in the rain for qualifying, didn't bring rain tires!!

Sprint #2, Started in 7th, placed 4th.

White Sprint #2. Green to full yellow.
https://vimeo.com/108790838

Last edited by por944s2; 10-14-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:24 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Sprint 1 was my best race... qualified 3rd in Spec Box behind Sean (silver ) and Scott (red). Great race from start to finish. Passed Scott at 12:55 and then Sean at 17:20 for my first spec box win.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:46 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
One more year is s possibility contractually. Much may depend on driver feedback.

The 944 Cup would come back as this event well exceeded any expectations going in. Heard many good comments from 944 drivers that this was the best racing of the year and MMC provided much in the way of amentities they have never seen at other tracks.

Quick Reply: PCA club race at Monticello Oct 10-12