Sponsored by:

Cannonball Run 28:50 = Max Dumbass Factor

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 07:08 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Sorry to be disagreeable...but defending bad behavior by citing other bad behavior is something that not even my 7 year old does.

Again...2,800 miles at an average of 100 MPH on public highways is not any better, safer, or more morally justifiable than going 50 in a 55 and texting...IMHO.
I can assure you that a lot more people get killed by people that are drunk or texting than people driving way too fast across the continental US trying to break that record.

Is it irresponsible? Yes. Is it dangerous? Yes.

Is it worse than some bimbo in a Tahoe running a stoplight and killing people while checking her Facebook? No. And until I see some evidence that people engaging in this kind of cross-country speed contest have killed anyone en masse, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you.

The relevance of the poll is that most if not all of us have driven at a speed on public roads that at least could be deemed unsafe, and at most could be deemed totally reckless in some cases. I felt it was important to note that during the tar-and-feathering of this kid with the Benz. I'm not trying to start a flamewar.
Attached Images  
Old 11-04-2013, 07:33 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't really see the appeal to something like this other than bragging rights. Basically just a high speed road trip, doesn't really sound like much fun. I bet a 30 minute sprint race would be far more exciting than 29 hours driving on the highway...
Old 11-04-2013, 08:35 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

its endurance racing, for those that don't have the skills, for actual racing.

and no prize money or trophy!

kinda like street racing instead of a 1/4 mile track.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:35 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

That sounds pretty accurate.

Say what you will, though... it would have been wild to have been racing across the country with Brock Yates back in the day.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:11 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Doing the run? Stupid, immature and irresponsible.
Publicly acknowledging it, names and data included? ****ing retarded!!!
This will not end well, mark my words.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by baddogz28
I can assure you that a lot more people get killed by people that are drunk or texting than people driving way too fast across the continental US trying to break that record.

Is it irresponsible? Yes. Is it dangerous? Yes.

Is it worse than some bimbo in a Tahoe running a stoplight and killing people while checking her Facebook? No. And until I see some evidence that people engaging in this kind of cross-country speed contest have killed anyone en masse, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you.

The relevance of the poll is that most if not all of us have driven at a speed on public roads that at least could be deemed unsafe, and at most could be deemed totally reckless in some cases. I felt it was important to note that during the tar-and-feathering of this kid with the Benz. I'm not trying to start a flamewar.
Whatever, dude. And I can assure you that DEAD IS DEAD and MAIMED IS MAIMED.

Again, the attempt to draw some sort of moral equivalency or even superiority is pathetic.

Take it to the fvcking track.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:16 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanR
Good for them and I hope they had a blast doing it.
Yep.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:10 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 387 Posts

baddog; The saying is two wrongs don't make a right.
the added saying is two Wrights do make an airplane.
if they had killed someone it would not have been cool.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:30 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

There are extremes. SoCal highways have commuters serenly driving at 90mph. In other parts of the country this is insane reckless speed. Depends on your perspective.

Is 100mpg across west texas unsafe? Of course not.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by BC
There are extremes. SoCal highways have commuters serenly driving at 90mph. In other parts of the country this is insane reckless speed. Depends on your perspective.

For 28 straight hours? you bet it is
Old 11-05-2013, 08:42 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BC

There are vast ranges of "fly-over" territory where there is really no good reason for a speed limit, other than revenue collection and to minimize the speed differential vs. vehicles that can't or shouldn't attain higher speeds (large trucks). We should keep in mind that some highways in some states - like Montana - had no speed limit at all for a number of years - is it "reckless" to drive at a speed that was legal there when the original Cannonball was run?

Next, what is the maximum reasonable speed differential? 15 mph is a pretty good number, and is probably what most of us see in daily traffic. Earlier this year, I legally drove at 85 MPH (the posted limit) on a stretch of TX interstate; a 15 mph differential would then put you at 100. (Of course, I drove a lot faster when I got to COTA!)

I think that we all agree that trying to drive 120 in rush hour traffic in any metro area would be insanely dangerous - but that's not what these guys were doing (assumably).
Old 11-06-2013, 10:45 PM
ohenryinatlanta
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

it's all fun and games till someone gets hurt.......

i'm glad my net worth precludes me from pulling such stunts.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:25 AM
Cheyenne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad I checked back in here to find this thread, right up my alley.

I think it's great that people still try to make cars fun. I think it's great that people still try to do interesting things.

Sorry that life isn't safe all the time, but that's the reality, and the occasional high speed run, done right, doesn't really change the odds for anyone all that much. And for every crash that could have happened while these guys did this, ten other crashes DID HAPPEN because people don't even try to be competent.

So I'll happily share the road with people like this, because I check my damn mirrors, and actually bother to check closing speeds as well. If my Mom, or Sister, fail to do so, and pull out in front of someone going much faster than them, then I'll tell them how dumb that was when I get to hell.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wondered who was hanging out in Off-Topic, now I know....
Old 11-07-2013, 09:44 AM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

That's nothing to be proud of Rusty...50 yards....

Quick Reply: Cannonball Run 28:50 = Max Dumbass Factor