Sponsored by:

Cannonball Run 28:50 = Max Dumbass Factor

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 10:33 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,604 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by car_slave
Do we not like enterprise and excitement anymore?
Sorry, I fail to see how driving an average of 100 mph in a rolling 5,000 pound fuel/air bomb on public highways in a nation of 350,000,000 bumbling fools driving minivans, motorhomes, and semis in total oblivion is in any way a good thing.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 179 Posts
Default Old fart I am . . .

Best left to movie stunts, folk-law, and cold brew debates.

Modern cars today and 24-hour races have shown both men and machine can travel this distance over such delta times easily today.

No one got hurt, but it could have also gone horribly wrong to others (FedEx) not involved in the stunt. Hop a plane, fly to Germany, rent from Hertz and go faster, legally on a roads built for it and populated with drivers who understand the risk and are better prepared for it. So not much of an accomplishment except in violating traffic laws in the US.

Not sure what it proves. Risking yours and unsuspecting others lives and getting away with it (for now)? To average 90+, there would have been times they exceeded +100 on public roads, regardless of "spotters", not really what the public US Interstates are set up for.

But they are now famous and isn't that what it is all about.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am on the fence about this. The tradition associated with the Legendary Cannonball coast to cast run is rich. There are only a select few that can claim this record. That said - is it foolhardy? Possibly. Does it put people at risk - maybe.

Part of me thinks this is very cool at a certain level. Meanwhile the other part of me thinks this is bat **** insane. We can only speculate on what they "actually" did. So that said - I hold judgement, but reserve the right to say "...heh, cool."

C.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:15 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Sorry, I fail to see how driving an average of 100 mph in a rolling 5,000 pound fuel/air bomb on public highways in a nation of 350,000,000 bumbling fools driving minivans, motorhomes, and semis in total oblivion is in any way a good thing.
Exactly, and how would the cheerleaders feel if the story involved a "bumbling fool" family member that pulled into their lane because there was "no one there" when they looked? 158 MPH = 231.73 feet per second..
Old 11-01-2013, 11:21 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
I am on the fence about this. The tradition associated with the Legendary Cannonball coast to cast run is rich. There are only a select few that can claim this record. That said - is it foolhardy? Possibly. Does it put people at risk - maybe.

Part of me thinks this is very cool at a certain level. Meanwhile the other part of me thinks this is bat **** insane. We can only speculate on what they "actually" did. So that said - I hold judgement, but reserve the right to say "...heh, cool."

C.
that sums up my thoughts.

breaking an iconic "car guy" record...awesome.

averaging 100 mph coast to coast in a car that reeks of fuel...beyond stupid.

of course racing is stupid, jumping out of airplanes is stupid, taking that bridesmaid back to the hotel room is stupid.....
Old 11-01-2013, 11:30 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
that sums up my thoughts.

breaking an iconic "car guy" record...awesome.

averaging 100 mph coast to coast in a car that reeks of fuel...beyond stupid.

of course racing is stupid, jumping out of airplanes is stupid, taking that bridesmaid back to the hotel room is stupid.....
+1 Some of the most fun I've ever had was doing stupid things but as I've gotten older I do fewer and fewer.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:35 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
I just read this article on CNN about how some guy just broke the East-West coast speed record in a MB AMG averaging 98 mpg with a peak speed of 158 mph. http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/31/us/new...html?hpt=hp_c3

I think it's safe to say that this was not on a closed course! The article casts a positive light on this guy's 'accomplishment' which I find disturbing. Two guys driving at those speeds for 28 hours straight on public roads = DOUCHEBAGS. I hope they gather the guy's video and data and lock him up.
pretty slow?!
Old 11-01-2013, 01:48 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Stupid and irresponsible as hell, but you have to hand it to him.

The guy in 06 had spotter plans and decoy cars assisting him across his route.

You know this started with "Hey, watch this!".
Old 11-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993
You know this started with "Hey, watch this!".
Not sure I agree. The dude dumped a ton of money to make certain the car would make the trip. This was planned to the Nth degree.

C.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:25 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 400 Posts

Alex Roy's codriver is a rennlister with a 993 turbo
http://jalopnik.com/310735/alex-roy-...-claims-record
Old 11-01-2013, 02:50 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
Not sure I agree. The dude dumped a ton of money to make certain the car would make the trip. This was planned to the Nth degree.

C.
planned sure, but you should not smell any fuel if it was executed properly...

Notice the lack of a metal shroud (firewall) around those fuel tanks? (as would be required on any track car), and the floor jack sitting next to those plastic tanks. -that's a huge red flag.

imaging them hitting someone texting in the fast lane with 50 mile differential. jack breaks spare fuel tanks, gas hits exhaust. poof!

then there's the fuel fumes issue. after a few hours it has to affect your mental capacity.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:07 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbill_fl
planned sure, but you should not smell any fuel if it was executed properly...

Notice the lack of a metal shroud (firewall) around those fuel tanks? (as would be required on any track car), and the floor jack sitting next to those plastic tanks. -that's a huge red flag.

imaging them hitting someone texting in the fast lane with 50 mile differential. jack breaks spare fuel tanks, gas hits exhaust. poof!

then there's the fuel fumes issue. after a few hours it has to affect your mental capacity.
agree, that really makes me wonder.

they had to be pretty loopy by the end of that trip. or deaf, from the wind noise having the windows cracked at 100+ mph for 29 hours.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:27 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I've driven in some western states, and in all honesty, I can see some 100+mph mile runs being fairly safe in west TX, AZ, and NV, especially at night, when you can see cars far off.

OTOH, there were plenty of high risk areas, and admitting you broke the law, when you can still be arrested and prosecuted, is stupid and foolish. -just like some of that car prep.

I'd bet some sheriff and/or state attorney tries to prosecute, to set an example and make a name for themselves before an election....
Old 11-01-2013, 03:38 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I seem to recall while shooting the original movie under controlled conditions they managed to put a stunt woman in a wheelchair.

Entertaining as a movie, not cool in realville.

-Mike

ETA: Apparently they were pretty stupid in making the original movie too: No seatbelts in stunt car.

Sure it was 1980, but come on.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, what distinction did they exactly achieve ? Endurance driving ? For amateurs, maybe not bad, but they could have driven for the same amount of time at legal speeds. Flaunting the law and putting people at possible risk ? A+ there. Getting from coast to coast in record time ? Who cares.

Overall, I'm not impressed with their accomplishment, and I agree with others that this was just stupid at worst, misguided enthusiasm and "enterprise" at best.

Quick Reply: Cannonball Run 28:50 = Max Dumbass Factor