SmartyCam HD review

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 06:59 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
Love the dash set-up. It's been a long time since I've been into the program but I don't remember seeing the ability to set it up as shown here. Was there an update with this or some trick I was not aware of?
Rob, these options (Mustang, Miata and Porsche stylized clusters) were included after the initial release of SmartyManager 2. So, if you have an HD version of the SmartyCam, of any age, this is possible simply by upgrading the firmware in the camera to accept the new graphic elements and downloading the latest software release of SmartyManager 2 to build a background with them in it.

It's nice!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-03-2015, 01:43 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Rob, these options (Mustang, Miata and Porsche stylized clusters) were included after the initial release of SmartyManager 2. So, if you have an HD version of the SmartyCam, of any age, this is possible simply by upgrading the firmware in the camera to accept the new graphic elements and downloading the latest software release of SmartyManager 2 to build a background with them in it.

It's nice!
I was one of your pre-orders, so I guess I had not gone back since then to do any updates. Updated SM2 last night and found that dash layout, thank you! Just need to update the SCHD firmware now.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jakermc
I was one of your pre-orders, so I guess I had not gone back since then to do any updates. Updated SM2 last night and found that dash layout, thank you! Just need to update the SCHD firmware now.
Good deal! Let me know if I can help in any way.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:27 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently added the SmartyCam HD v2 to my Solo DL and all is working fine except I don't see any data files on the SD card in the SmartyCam. The website and Solo DL literature indicates that the Solo DLs data is saved to the SD card. I haven't found any settings that would control this feature.

Anyone know the secret that I'm missing?

Thx,
Pete
Old 08-24-2015, 05:40 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by pstoppani
I recently added the SmartyCam HD v2 to my Solo DL and all is working fine except I don't see any data files on the SD card in the SmartyCam. The website and Solo DL literature indicates that the Solo DLs data is saved to the SD card. I haven't found any settings that would control this feature.

Anyone know the secret that I'm missing?

Thx,
Pete
Sorry, you are not missing anything.

The documentation for the Solo DL was written when the standard definition SC was in production. That feature no longer exists.

The Solo DL sent a compressed, encrypted file including the GPS data, a backup and the data to the SC microSD card. Race Studio 2 includes a decompression program that unpacks these files and saves the video and data together in the C:/AiM/RaceStudio2/DATA folder with the same name.

When the HD came out, there was no way to put that info on the SD card AND write data to the HD video at the same time. So no SC HD records logger data to the card. You need to download separately the video from the SD card and the data from the Solo DL. Sorry...
Old 10-24-2016, 01:27 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

I have the Aim SmartyCam HD Rev.2 and the audio on it is lousy. There is not as much of the popping sound that is on some of the other videos posted here but overall the sound is very muffled even when the volume is turned all the way up. Take a listen to the video below and let me know if that's normal. I'd like to add an external mic to improve on this. I noticed that Aim makes a CAN cable with the externa microphone built in. Has anyone used this and if so what is the quality of the microphone? Aim also makes a CAN cable with a mic jack where you can add your own mic. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good quality motorsport microphone? Something maybe made by Sennheiser or Shure? Any input is welcome.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:51 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

I use SCHD with internal mic and the sound is ok.
Heres an example.
https://vimeo.com/162550767

Btw I have a Mac so I generally download using HandBrake, then edit in RaceRender (then upload to Vimeo or YT). If I have my rear camera (GHOST HD with external mic) and mixed the two I use the audio from the GHOST as its better.

Quick Reply: SmartyCam HD review