Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SmartyCam HD review

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 11:23 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 335 Posts

Greenfrog's video/audio seems great to me!
Old 01-14-2015, 11:59 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,144 Likes on 1,825 Posts

Originally Posted by surlynkid
^^ But GreenFrog's audio is a lot better in his video and Peter says it is supposed to be better, so do some of us just believe it is normal or is it truly normal for all units.
Originally Posted by RDykmans
I sold Greenfrog his setup (Solo DL/Rev1 SCHD) and helped him install it. His audio is what I would normally expect and have firsthand experience from providing over eighty (Rev1) units. I use a Rev1 myself outside in the wind and it's pretty darned good, better than any GoPro, Contour or Replay. Look at the bottom of my homepage for an example. Pole lap at Indy last June...

That said, they're not perfect. I've expedited the repair/replacement of the few units I have had trouble with that I originally sold to my customers, but AiM Sports (USA) is a great company and, in my experience (along with other stand up folks, like Jerry and Matt) are committed to providing good support.

These things are NOT simple. They have a Linux powered computer in them and the packaging is quite compact and difficult to assemble. Occasionally, assembly errors are made and components do not meet QC standards. If you have a question, call them up and make arrangements to send it back for evaluation.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-14-2015, 12:27 PM
greenfrog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RDykmans
And my car only has the standard OEM exhaust (not even the sports version).

In my installation there is a piece of thick rubber hose inserted around the bar to dampen the vibration. I wonder if that also helps eliminating any of the rattle/crackle noise. See attached picture.

The video quality of my GoPro Hero 2 is better, hands down - higher resolution, better dynamic range, and less noise at dusk/dawn. SmartyCam HD rev1 occasionally blows up the highlight (i.e. the track surface when the sun is hitting it), and it is quite sensitive to camera placement. The 'closed roof car' setting gives a higher weight to the horizontal portion in the middle of the screen, so I have to make sure my windshield is vertically positioned in the center of the view.

But, as you can see, the video quality is more than adequate. SCHD's view has less distortion, shows the curve and elevation change closer to the driver's view point. It's files are much smaller. And the real time data overlay is the killer feature.

Here's some videos for comparison.

SmartyCam HD:
GoPro Hero 2 with external mic in cubbie behind seat:
GoPro Hero 2 with built-in mic:
Attached Images  
Old 01-14-2015, 04:34 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay - I clearly have a dud. GreenFrog's audio would be excellent if I got that. All this time I thought I just did not have it set up right. Perhaps I will get lucky and it'll be swapped for a 2.0 camera.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:52 PM
Caddell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay - I clearly have a dud. GreenFrog's audio would be excellent if I got that. All this time I thought I just did not have it set up right. Perhaps I will get lucky and it'll be swapped for a 2.0 camera.
Surlynkid,

Please send the camera into us so we can repair or replace. As some have said, we did see a small number of cameras that had a variance in the sound quality and it looks like you have one. Call us at 1-800-718-9090 to get a shipping address and let us get you fixed up. Mention you chatted with me on Rennlist.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:02 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Caddell
Surlynkid, Please send the camera into us so we can repair or replace. As some have said, we did see a small number of cameras that had a variance in the sound quality and it looks like you have one. Call us at 1-800-718-9090 to get a shipping address and let us get you fixed up. Mention you chatted with me on Rennlist.
Thanks. Already have it all set to ship to Robbie in Calif. I spoke to him today and emailed him a link to my video
Old 01-14-2015, 08:11 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I had an audio dud with some video anomalies (bought used) and AIM replaced it trackside. Nice.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:50 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,144 Likes on 1,825 Posts

Thanks. Already have it all set to ship to Robbie in Calif. I spoke to him today and emailed him a link to my video
Robbie will hook you up!

Thanks to Roger for piping up!
Old 01-14-2015, 11:35 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Caddell
Surlynkid,

Please send the camera into us so we can repair or replace. As some have said, we did see a small number of cameras that had a variance in the sound quality and it looks like you have one. Call us at 1-800-718-9090 to get a shipping address and let us get you fixed up. Mention you chatted with me on Rennlist.
I have to say this is one of the best parts about being a customer of AiM. Their support on all products is amazing.

I had a GPS05 that worked at the end of the season not work when I tried to use it with my new MXL2. I sent it in to the VA office over the weekend, and heard on Tuesday it had a bad CAN chip in it and that they were repairing it it under warranty, no charge. The GPS05 came with my car, no idea how old it is...

That's amazing support!
Old 01-15-2015, 12:01 AM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

deleted

Last edited by surlynkid; 01-28-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:48 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

well, this did not turn out how I expected. I have been told that my unit functions fine even though the video I sent to Robbie clearly shows my unit picking up nada for audio. Robbie acknowledges that audio is clipped but says that is just how it is. whatever algorithm is used to define the deleted frequencies - apparently the 4.0L V8 in an M3 with an akrapovic evo exhaust has a frequency that is deleted. It is surely not a quiet car. Aim acknowledges that the algorithm has some deficiencies but I am SOL, and they are shipping it back to me as is. $1000 camera that does not work in an M3.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:58 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Gen2 SCHD

Has anyone gotten the Gen2 model, if so how does it compare?
Old 01-28-2015, 07:13 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pdxjim
Has anyone gotten the Gen2 model, if so how does it compare?
I had planned to buy a Rev2 for the other track car, but now I don't know.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:18 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's a Rev2 in action at Homestead. Excuse the SoloDL mounting job. Original mount was fine but the constant 180's at Homestead caused a loss of enough GPS satelliites to screw it all up.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:26 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

even the rev2 picks up all kinds of rattling. all I get in mine is rattling and creaking. are you running an external mic on the rev2? I think the only way to get acceptable sound is going to be an external mic.

Quick Reply: SmartyCam HD review