Sponsored by:

SmartyCam HD review

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 10:45 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Gary,

The 2 M cable is not for GPS it is the CAN cable between the SC and the dash or the Data Hub. So the short lead is best if you have a Data Hub within 2M. The GPS antennas are different though. The SC GPS antenna will only plug into the camera (4 pins) the GPS 05 plugs into the dash or Data Hub and has 5 pins. They are marked differently and are not interchangeable. If you have the GPS 05 (as you do) you will not need the SC GPS antenna (add'l $149). Hope this makes sense
Old 10-22-2013, 10:55 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 169 Posts

Actually I had the SCam GPS mounted on my cowl and plugged into my camera, not the hub. Next time, since I have to buy a new GPS, I will use the 05 and plug it into the hub. I did have the 4M data cable so I should stick with that when I get the new camera. Why in the world did AIM not use the same fitting and only one GPS?? Sounds idiotic to me... What sucks is that Bela has a SCam GPS he was going to give me, it's useless for the current system without the camera, will it plug into the new HD SCam though?

Thanks
Gary

Originally Posted by amso3
Gary,

The 2 M cable is not for GPS it is the CAN cable between the SC and the dash or the Data Hub. So the short lead is best if you have a Data Hub within 2M. The GPS antennas are different though. The SC GPS antenna will only plug into the camera (4 pins) the GPS 05 plugs into the dash or Data Hub and has 5 pins. They are marked differently and are not interchangeable. If you have the GPS 05 (as you do) you will not need the SC GPS antenna (add'l $149). Hope this makes sense
Old 10-22-2013, 12:35 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Get the SC GPS, it will work with the new SC but you will not use it if you use GPS 05. My personal preference is to use GPS 05 to the dash, that way, if the camera quits you still get GPS data to the dash with lap times etc. The antennas are different ($149 vs $299), so I think it's a benefit to buy a cheaper one if you do not need or want the GPS 05.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:09 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

For those with the SC HD, AIM just released an update to the Smarty Cam HD software. It fixed a bug with windows 8.1

http://aim-sportline.com/eng/download/software.htm
Old 01-13-2015, 04:25 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I am bringing up this old thread to see if anyone figured out anyway to get any audio into the SCHD. Mine sounds like the Boxster earlier in this thread. The new SCHD2 is now out and has apparently got this solved, but it is almost painful to watch the in car video with no audio. AIM should offer some sort of swap/exchange for those of us that got these SCHDs that have no audio option.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:35 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

surlynkid

Have you loaded the latest firmware? It was last updated Dec 4th. I do not know if this helps the sound on the Gen1 HD camera but worth a try.

Go here http://aim-sportline.com/eng/download/firmware.htm
Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2015, 06:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,292 Likes on 1,873 Posts

Originally Posted by surlynkid
I am bringing up this old thread to see if anyone figured out anyway to get any audio into the SCHD. Mine sounds like the Boxster earlier in this thread. The new SCHD2 is now out and has apparently got this solved, but it is almost painful to watch the in car video with no audio.
Surly, if you're having that much trouble with your audio, first effect the Firmware upgrade Jerry had been kind enough to post and, if that doesn't help, PLEASE call the Lake Elsinore office and make arrangements to send it in for evaluation/repair or replacement. If there is something wrong, AiM will certainly try their best to fix it.

I can say that while a small percentage of Rev1 SCHD's did have an electromechanical issue with the mic (I think I had about a half dozen out of the eighty-five plus Rev1 cameras I have sold), AiM had been stand-up about repairing/replacing these units. I think I've had only one or two issues with the forty-five or so Rev2 cameras I have sold.

There is no question that the removal of external mic in in the Rev1 SCHD from both versions of the standard definition SC did cause some users issues. That said, less than ten percent of users of ALL of the cameras I have sold (nearly two hundred in the last four years) use the external mic option. If you want it (or need it), the secondary market for Rev1 SCHD's is strong (I love mine, and see no need to trade up), so sell it and buy a Rev2. I'll make you a special deal to keep you happy, even though we've never done business.

But first, give the Cali folks the opportunity to evaluate/repair your unit. They work well, and there's no reason for yours not to...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-13-2015, 06:13 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Jerry & Peter,

I will do the firmware update and go from there. Sounds like I could have a dud. You can hear very muted sounds including engine, exhaust, driver/instructor dialogue, but it is very muted. I will post up an example tonight. If it is supposed to sort of work like a GoPro and pick up ambient sound, it is not doing that. I don't need to really tape an external mic to the rear bumper, but I sure would like some engine sound. Watching silent videos is painful.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2015, 09:37 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Here is an example of a lap.

I have now updated the firmware and will re-try it, but the sound has been muted like this since day 1. The exhaust is loud, so you would surely hear it.

Setup is Solo DL canbus ECU connection in E92 M3 with SCHD hooked up to Solo DL.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:46 PM
sierralima
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please excuse excessive coasting at beginning of video....
Old 01-13-2015, 09:54 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,292 Likes on 1,873 Posts

I have now updated the firmware and will re-try it, but the sound has been muted like this since day 1. The exhaust is loud, so you would surely hear it.
I understand. Try it in the car and if it is unchanged, send it in for analysis/repair/replacement.

I've learned that AiM, in order to reduce wind noise and "tune" the audio auto gain circuit (the cameras lost manual gain controls when the HD came out), that there is selective damping of particular frequencies and at particular amplitudes.

So for instance, it's NOT uncommon to not hear or have human speech very muffled even close to the camera.

But it's NOT normal to not be able to hear a loud engine in a car (especially without a lot of damping, rear seat cushions, door panels removed), if everything is working ok.

For my information, is the weather sealing o-ring on the door of the camera orange or black?
Old 01-13-2015, 10:05 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

O-ring for sealing is black.

In other video, VR is in the car with her. If you turn the volume up to full, you can barely hear the conversation. Everything is muted except the squeaks and crackles, etc.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:07 AM
greenfrog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually like the audio quality of SmartyCam HD. GoPro captures a lot of wind noise unless hooked up with well placed external mic. SmartyCam HD suppresses wind noise as well as human voice, but it picks up engine, exhaust and tire sounds pretty well.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:23 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Here is an example of a lap.

TWS12 21 14 1 57 49 - YouTube

Setup is Solo DL canbus ECU connection in E92 M3 with SCHD hooked up to Solo DL.
Yup. That audio sounds just as horrible as the other 2 smartycamHD videos that 2 of my friends use. Normal. Ugh.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:47 AM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

^^ But GreenFrog's audio is a lot better in his video and Peter says it is supposed to be better, so do some of us just believe it is normal or is it truly normal for all units.

Quick Reply: SmartyCam HD review