Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing a Porsche... Why did you choose what you race?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 11:58 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts

I sold cars in high school, and was allowed to autocross them. Mostly c4 corvettes. I started doing DE's in grad school in my 993, then I couldn't afford the tires, and started karting. Stuck with karting through grad school, and still did some DE's. After school, got a 360 and did some track events with it. Planned all the while what I was going to race. I looked at PCA, SCCA, and NASA. Had a lot of friends in PCA already, and really enjoyed the group. I was single, had a tiny house, so I thought now was as good a time as any to go for a 996 cup, which was my dream car when I was doing DE's. I've never looked back. The cup is a lot of fun, but expensive. So much fun, that I will hold onto it as long as I can.....
Old 09-03-2013, 06:30 AM
Courtshark
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Great thread. Picked the 928 because... It's what I owned when I finally got off my **** and decided to try DEing. I own a 928 at all because my father had 2 growing up and I've always loved them. Probably not an ideal DE car, though, at least not until you truly sort out the car. And on a 928 that takes a while. In the last 12 months, I've done 2 DEs, with a third coming up. So far, just counting DE-focused sorting, I'm well over $10k in. I'm sure that's a drop in the bucket to a lot of folks here. Not to me! Planning on doing more DEs next season now that the car is much more sorted out.

As a novice, I very much enjoy being an unusual sight at DEs. At VIR in the spring, I was the only 928 on the track. It would be fun, though, to genuinely compete against a similarly classed car (weight and power-wise). That said, I also very much enjoy being able to hang with just about anything on the track in my 25 year old ride.

If I were to do it over again, however, I'd probably pick a Boxster or a Cayman. And I'd buy one already track-prepared. I'm expecting that, in a few years when I'm completely hooked and the Cayman S's or R's are a little more affordable, I'll make that leap. They're an awesome combination of reliability and speed. 928 has the speed, and I'm working very hard on the reliability part. Harder to race a vintage car, though. I do as much wrenching as I can myself, and my brother is a mechanic. But he's too busy to come with me to the track, so I'm basically on my own out there! (Other than the incredibly supportive group of racers at both PCA DEs I've done). So, reliability is starting to take precedence over speed, going forward.

Good luck, whatever you go with!
Old 09-04-2013, 12:19 AM
cec3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

started with what i had (but as most say, buy don't build) since the 996 C2 has numerous options: stock H, spec 996, GTB1, NASA GTS. H class has reasonable numbers (nothing like E though) and it's fun to race against different platforms (964 RSAs, caymans, 996&997 carreras). I would prefer to run spec996 for cost containment purposes but the numbers in the midwest/SE are nil
Old 09-04-2013, 01:54 AM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Started with a 924S in ChumpCar.

Took it to a few DEs to actually learn how to drive it.

At the time my Boxster was my DD -- and once I got into tracking cars -- I was too scared I'd destroy my DD so it never saw the other side of pit wall.

Had a 911 RSR Clone fall in to my lap -- so I rebuilt it and I DE it -- I might race it some day
but it really scares the **** out of me -- more because I'm afraid of really breaking it and the cost to fix it.

Last year picked up a 951 -- for street/track use -- plan for it to be my main track car.
Working ironing some kinks out of it (like rebuilding everything :-) - Local track where I have membership is
pretty rough for race cars, so I'm hoping to use the 951 and flog it regularly.

Have a 928 too -- but she's too old to hit the track :-)

M
Old 09-04-2013, 02:04 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
Started with a 924S in ChumpCar.

Took it to a few DEs to actually learn how to drive it.

At the time my Boxster was my DD -- and once I got into tracking cars -- I was too scared I'd destroy my DD so it never saw the other side of pit wall.

Had a 911 RSR Clone fall in to my lap -- so I rebuilt it and I DE it -- I might race it some day
but it really scares the **** out of me -- more because I'm afraid of really breaking it and the cost to fix it.

Last year picked up a 951 -- for street/track use -- plan for it to be my main track car.
Working ironing some kinks out of it (like rebuilding everything :-) - Local track where I have membership is
pretty rough for race cars, so I'm hoping to use the 951 and flog it regularly.

Have a 928 too -- but she's too old to hit the track :-)

M
cause mike ^^^ said "hey, I need another driver for my racing team. Want to race my porsche?"

still not sure to thank or curse him
Old 09-04-2013, 10:06 AM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by dizzyj
cause mike ^^^ said "hey, I need another driver for my racing team. Want to race my porsche?"

still not sure to thank or curse him
And every time you fatally break the 924S during a race --
and it just happens to be just before my stint..... I say the same thing..... :-)

Of course, had you not been so foolish as to join the team in the first place
the car and team would have been moth balled long ago....

M
Old 09-04-2013, 05:14 PM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I haven't gotten into club racing, but would love to eventually hop over there. I've been starting off with the beater endurance series because they're a blast, plus it's pretty cheap when you split the cost of consumables among a team.

First one was a VW Type 3 with a Type 4 engine stuffed in. It was someone else's car, but I dressed it up like a bunny for the 24 Hours of LeMons. That car was awesome. I need something else that's RR and aircooled, just maybe a little nicer this time...hahahaha.

Second one was a Fiat 1600? Spider for a local beater enduro series. That was awesome. This was also someone else's car, but I'd kind of been thinking I should get a car to hoon instead of my daily driver. There was this 944 that ran with us that came up for sale at a too-cheap-to-refuse-it price, so I bought it.

So, the third car was a 1983 944. That was a blast to drive, even though I never got to drive it in any races because someone hit us and totalled it during the first hour of a ChumpCar race. %@!&.

So, (technically) the fourth car is a 1984 944 with the engine out of the wrecked '83. No time to fart around and get anything else. I have all the spares for it already, plus there are other masochi--errr, people in town who have these cars. We're getting it ready for the LeMons race at the end of the month. Full 24-hour. w00t!
Old 09-04-2013, 09:27 PM
Burkey
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by jdistefa
The windshield banner tells me you've got a good wrench too
Nice catch, a great wrench First time I drove the car was at our Club Race this year, qualified first 2 seconds faster then I have ever gone in the 993 turbo. Perfect set-up right out of the box
Old 09-06-2013, 03:01 AM
Iridium
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 39 Posts

It's fast enough to beat anything that's not well-driven. It's cheap enough to wad up into a little ball and walk away. And I have lots of history with the platform, long ago...

Quick Reply: Racing a Porsche... Why did you choose what you race?