Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Andy Lally advanced driving clinic

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 01:22 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

Mike, the lateral accel info is useless IMO, get rid of it and put a time delta in there to show where the time is drifting, see my screenshot, it's the very bottom graph. That will make it easy to see where you lost the time. But eyeballing it looks like you let someone pass around 12-13 (green), and then with the red, something happened in the front straight. YOu would be amazed how fast you bleed time in the faster sections.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Doug007
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Mike, the lateral accel info is useless IMO, get rid of it and put a time delta in there to show where the time is drifting, see my screenshot, it's the very bottom graph. That will make it easy to see where you lost the time. But eyeballing it looks like you let someone pass around 12-13 (green), and then with the red, something happened in the front straight. YOu would be amazed how fast you bleed time in the faster sections.
To do that, click settings (little wrench on the far top right just below the AIM logo) and click "Show time compare."

As Jacy said, it is extremely useful to see where you are gaining/losing time in a comparison.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Doug007
Racer

Originally Posted by TXE36
Okay, here are some of my laps compared with each other.

Blue is a 2:04.620
Green is a 2:07.814 (The dip in speed at T12 is due to me letting the yellow 'vette by)
Red is a 2:07.708

Do these graphs make sense, how did I loose 3 seconds?

Thanks
-Mike
Mike, the 2:07s are only 0.46s (Red, 2:07.708 lap) and 1.03s (Green, 2:07.814 lap) slower than the 2:04... until turn 12.

In the Green 2:07.814 lap, you lose 1.8s with the huge speed drop letting the vette by.

In the Red 2:07.708 lap, you lose 1.5s with the huge speed drop at the apex of T14 (and another 0.7s with lost time down the front straight).

That is where the vast majority of the delta is.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:46 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug007
To do that, click settings (little wrench on the far top right just below the AIM logo) and click "Show time compare."

As Jacy said, it is extremely useful to see where you are gaining/losing time in a comparison.
Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Thanks. Please go back and review, I've updated the graphs. Yes, a lot of it happens at the end, but both plots are diverging earlier as well. I almost wish the following laps were worse. The rest of the day I was stuck back in 2:09 mode. I don't know if it was just fatigue or bad habits returning.

I've got some of my own data of me falling off and climbing back on this plateau from last month, I'll have to see if I can generate some plots like this with it.

ETA: That green T12 plot indicates I need to practice more off line. At that point I knew the yellow Corvette was going to catch me very close to the apex of T12 and I didn't have the confidence to keep the speed up knowing my path through T12 was going to be a rim shot. Staying on the inside and giving a point by to the right just didn't make sense at the time because I didn't want to ruin the yellow car's obviously good lap.

-Mike
Old 11-12-2013, 01:59 PM
tchiers
5th Gear

Yes, a lot of it happens at the end, but both plots are diverging earlier as well.
On the blue lap, you start your braking zones for many corners just a bit later than the red lap, but brake a bit harder. This allows you to carry your high speed in the straights longer, while still getting the car slowed to the same entry speed at the same point for turn-in.

You can see this as the peaks of the blue lines slightly higher and to the right of the peaks in the red lines, while the troughs line up much better. That seems to be where you're losing the rest of the time.

Just my non-expert $.02
Old 11-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Doug007
Racer

Enjoy! Try not to drive yourself crazy with the data

You can burn a lot of time looking at the squiggly lines, but the key is to find 2-3 things to work on next time out.

Oh and AIM products happen to be on sale here: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...errerid=100868

I think your car is a bit too old for the DL to be worthwhile but I love my AIM solo and missed it when I was out without it this weekend when it was being lent out. I hated thinking I had a fast lap and not knowing for sure!
Old 11-12-2013, 02:28 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 943 Likes on 572 Posts

I'll make some notes on the data here, but it's important to look at your body of work, not just one fast lap. You'll find much more useful room for improvement if you look at multiple laps to see what your personal trends are. You can then figure out where to look to improve, versus looking at one lap where you had a stroke of brilliance and put together a fast lap.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:47 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I'll make some notes on the data here, but it's important to look at your body of work, not just one fast lap. You'll find much more useful room for improvement if you look at multiple laps to see what your personal trends are. You can then figure out where to look to improve, versus looking at one lap where you had a stroke of brilliance and put together a fast lap.
+1 - For me it's usually a brief moment of courage, not brilliance.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:41 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 943 Likes on 572 Posts

I've got some work to do, feel free to comment. This is the first time I've seen data of myself other than just lap times so also feel free to go beyond just comparing me to Lally. I've got a thick skin, so have at it.
Here's a couple of things. I have no clue of the track layout, so I could be wrong on some things.

Note you lost a whole second on the first corner. That is your first order of business.
Attached Images  
Old 11-12-2013, 07:32 PM
RyanZ06
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Globe - you have the lap on data I did in your car? it would be fun to compare.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:33 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Thanks for taking the time Matt. I've got video of both sessions and I'll take your notes and review. One issue with that first plot is the turn references are off. Probably doesn't mean much, but it helps me get in my mind where the various things occurred on the track.

1) Yes, Andy was exceptionally good at maintaining entry speed. I'm the opposite, entry speed is one of my weaknesses. He maintained acceleration much deeper into T1.

2) I believe the "stutter step" on the brakes is actually an upshift as it happens just before T4. There is another one on the 3-4 upshift at the exit of T6, which appears to be at T8 in that graph.

3) The over-rotation is in T6 and I remember it :-)

4) Yes, Andy was taking a very different line through T8-T9. He stayed mid-track at the exit of T8 where I've always been far left. I asked him about it and he said he was trying to maintain entry speed and the forcing the car left would slow it down. He did the same thing at T13, which shows up as between T11 and T12 on the graph you used.

Again, thanks for the markup. I've attached a plot with corrected turn markers.

-Mike
Attached Images  
Old 11-12-2013, 08:50 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

This is as close as I've been able to get the PIP synchronized.

https://vimeo.com/79253349
Old 11-12-2013, 09:02 PM
TXE36
Drifting

[QUOTE=mglobe;10901133]This is as close as I've been able to get the PIP synchronized.

Incidentally, just how much time did Andy have on the track Friday?

-Mike
Old 11-12-2013, 09:14 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

[QUOTE=TXE36;10901160]
Originally Posted by mglobe
This is as close as I've been able to get the PIP synchronized.

Incidentally, just how much time did Andy have on the track Friday?

-Mike
He got four sessions in. Three in my car, one in Martin Cain's. I rode with him while he was learning the track, set him out on his own to put down some hot laps, and then got back in with him once he knew his way around. His ability to quickly learn the track is one of the things that really stands out.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:33 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

It's been great to see all of the videos of Andy driving the track. Sounds like every one had an incredible experience. I know I love TWS. What was Andy's impression? He's driven all the great tracks but did he enjoy ours?

A couple of other questions/observations:
- The common line for us DE'ers through Turn 1 is to get to the Yellow box and turn in. I never saw Andy go that wide - in fact it seemed like he kept two wheels on the inside of the blend line through many of the laps and at much faster speeds that I can manage even taking this turn wider. I saw a picture during the track walk explaining his approach - would you guys care to elaborate more on what he sees and what he's trying to do there?
- Through 8, I have always brake just before turning into 8 and come in close to inside (left of the contact patch) and then dart downhill. I see that Andy basically ignores turn 8 and appear to jab brakes, downshift, just before 9 instead.

Eric Foss did something similar in the Wolf going CW where he would extend the end of the front straight to entrance of 14 - ignoring 15.

Quick Reply: Andy Lally advanced driving clinic