Sponsored by:

Andy Lally advanced driving clinic

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 11:17 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Folks, we are going to do another one of these at TWS.

It will be October 12-13, which is a Monday (Columbus Day) & Tuesday.

More details will be forthcoming...
And there it is

-Mike
Old 07-30-2015, 11:48 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,237 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas RS
There is probably reason that the actuaries at insurance companies view a timed event differently than on a DE.
Having extensively researched this very question over the last decade, and being guided by K&K, Naughton and other leading track event underwriters, the definition of a "timed event" is one where lap times are published, posted and publicly able to be compared, NOT having the lap timing of an individual driver available to them in the car!

The advent of Porsche's Sport Chrono and precision driving app, GM's PDR, BMW's M App and countless others have cleared the legal and insurance hurdle for US distribution by MAJOR multinational corporations, so this fallacy, promoted by ill informed and poorly researched DE policy committees at a REGIONAL and LOCAL level, is just that. Not true...

Data does NOT support that lap timing, predictive lap timing or any other real time feedback contributes to increased incident levels, UNLESS the affected driver takes their "eye off the ball," similar to texting and driving.

/rant off
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-30-2015, 02:54 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting point of fact,which you are probably aware of already Peter, it's not the physical act of taking your "eyes off the ball" that effects drivers, it's the mental lapse or lost mental and emotional focus that causes the issues and mistakes.
I'm guessing that watching a stop watch or predictive lap timing for some people could cause this same issue, I think for more experienced drivers it is just a wonderful tool to use, although for a more newbie type I can see, and have experienced with some, the red mist set in as they are unable to keep up with their predictive lap time. For those drivers it's best to review after the run or session rather than during. Once again, I am sure you already do this as well.

Originally Posted by ProCoach
UNLESS the affected driver takes their "eye off the ball," similar to texting and driving.

/rant off
Old 07-30-2015, 03:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,237 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Interesting point of fact,which you are probably aware of already Peter, it's not the physical act of taking your "eyes off the ball" that effects drivers, it's the mental lapse or lost mental and emotional focus that causes the issues and mistakes.
Right you are! That's what I meant. Mental lapse...

Instead of concentrating on the task at hand, safely and quickly conducting the car around the course, changing focus or dwelling on thoughts not related to that task.

Poor choice of words and analogy, on my part...

And sorry for the thread derail!

Last edited by ProCoach; 07-30-2015 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Sorry for the thread derail...
Old 07-30-2015, 03:22 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I think VR revived this old post to bring attention to the Andy Lally advanced driving clinic coming up in October, not to discuss the benefits or risk of lap timing. Of course I could have had a mental lapse while reading RL :-)
Old 07-30-2015, 03:44 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I think the lapse is the announcement for the new event rebooted an eight month old conversation.

That said, I really like my predictive lap timer. It lets me know almost in real time if the change I made to this or that was good or bad and I'm convinced it has helped lower personal bests. I even think it can counter act the red mist, as the red mist worsens lap times and thus it tells the driver, "don't do that".

I don't think a predictive timer is of much value to a driver who hasn't mastered basics of a good line, vision, and smoothness. Frankly, I don't like seeing timers of any kind in the cars of my green or blue students.

Back on the recent topic, the first Lally event was a fantastic weekend! Andy is very down to earth, friendly and personable plus there was a lot of in car coaching from the local advanced instructors as well. Had fun and learned a lot. It was nearly 2 years ago, and people are still studying the data from that weekend.

-Mike

Last edited by TXE36; 07-30-2015 at 03:53 PM. Reason: To have at least some on topic content.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:59 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

I think VR revived this old post to bring attention to the Andy Lally advanced driving clinic coming up in October, not to discuss the benefits or risk of lap timing. Of course I could have had a mental lapse while reading RL :-)
CORRECT.

One change we are making compared to the 2013 event: we are allowing fewer participants (maximum of 25 or so) in order that Andy can have a LOT more time in each car & with each participant. We are still bringing lunch in each day for everyone, and still having the nice offsite banquet dinner with Andy on the Monday night.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:36 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sure wish I lived in Texas! ;-(
Old 07-30-2015, 04:47 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cloudspin
Sure wish I lived in Texas! ;-(
In the past, with events with both Andy as well as Pat Long, we have had folks come from all over the country. TWS is a fantastic track in its own right...
Old 07-31-2015, 01:53 AM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

I'd love to take part but could never afford to get my car there and back. In 2013 I read all the posts leading up to and then after that event and watched the videos so I do know what a great opportunity it would be to enhance my skills. Any chance of hosting one at Sebring some time in the future?
Old 07-31-2015, 09:14 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Not sure. It is a distinct possibility...
Old 07-31-2015, 11:20 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

I'd be in for sure. Especially if in the winter. :-)
Old 07-31-2015, 05:24 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

That would be great! Please do consider it. It will be well received.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:16 PM
Misdirection
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sign me up!
Old 07-31-2015, 09:23 PM
714evo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is one Sharp car shown in that posting, Texas RS!

Quick Reply: Andy Lally advanced driving clinic