Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Andy Lally advanced driving clinic

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 02:26 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

In some cars he was shifting to 2nd at 14 (yea I said 14) and 10. He told us while momentum is critical, you need max acceleration exiting when the corner can't support a momentum play.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:31 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow!!

How bout him talking to tim while doing 120+ "can you turn off traction control"
Old 11-12-2013, 08:06 AM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Jacy,

Did you mean the suspension setting? Because of the how bumpy T1 is, I run mine in the soft mode. Obviously Andy asked me to turn off the PASM + TC, so I think he would have felt that when he drove yours.

Jenks,

Thanks for the comments. On the VBox setup, I have been working on another dashboard that integrates some of Red Bear's view, but I have not been able to get the data off my can bus for some reason....

There is obviously a lot still out there. I am giving up a huge chuck of time from entry of T2 through exit. I was able to get through T1 to the entry of T2 in good shape and when I look at the video side by side I am in essentially the same position as Andy (a little inside of Steve) I don't use as much slip angle and as a result over slow the car going through T2. It is very obvious that I brake way too early on entry to T3. The next big giveaway is between T8 & T9. This wasn't one of my better runs through T12, on a more typical run I am somewhere between Andy and Steve. In T13-T15, their approach is amazing to me and requires more study and understanding of the physics of the car as I think both are able to get the car to rotate (at the right time and the right amount) in a way to carry a lot of speed around T14.

Let us know if you are able to make it over some time. Are you going to the F1 race in Austin next week?

Tim
Old 11-12-2013, 08:15 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Doug has sent me the AIM files and I need to figure out the software, but he was also kind enough to send an analysis.

I've got some work to do, feel free to comment. This is the first time I've seen data of myself other than just lap times so also feel free to go beyond just comparing me to Lally. I've got a thick skin, so have at it.

-Mike

ETA: Andy thought my car was very good and nicely balanced and didn't think I needed to do anything to it. He even thought the progressive PSS9s were great. Did comment that the street tires were holding him back. He also said the brakes were very good, up until the dreaded brake shake started .

Judging by the way he looked at them, I don't think he has seen seats with removable halos before. He used the slider and sat very close to the wheel, almost hugging it.
Attached Images  
Old 11-12-2013, 08:21 AM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Mike,

This is the next addictive phase, dissecting the data. It gives you track days at home.

Your Time Gap chart looks just like mine, we lose time essentially everywhere
Old 11-12-2013, 09:09 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 869 Posts

One of the things that Andy and Steve do (and I try to teach) on entry into 13 is to carry a bit of the arc of 12 all the way into the brake poiint for 13. Note in the video that Andy has some steering angle all the way in. He is helping to pre-set the entry attitude of the car by allowing the arc of 12 to partly rotate the car for 13. Thus, when he gets to 13, he barely has to bend the car in towards the apex (which sometimes he is giving up), thus carrying a lot more speed in...forcing him to sometimes brake for 14. He does the exact same thing into 8. Entry speed in is a lot better than anything else. Tim, you'll recall me talking about these things in 13, 8 (as well as 5-6) in the White classroom.

Jacy, I am glad he concurred with my comment to lower your rear ride height. That will really help IMO.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:19 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Tim, I wish I could make the race but I won't be able to. I'm jealous as you guys have great data to always go back to know and work on segments at a time, to try and get faster
Old 11-12-2013, 09:28 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Originally Posted by jenk12m
Tim, I wish I could make the race but I won't be able to. I'm jealous as you guys have great data to always go back to see and work on segments at a time, to try and get faster
Can't wait to make it back
Old 11-12-2013, 09:29 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Didn't mean to quote myself. Darn fingers to big on this iPhone
Old 11-12-2013, 09:55 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Texas RS
Jacy,

Did you mean the suspension setting? Because of the how bumpy T1 is, I run mine in the soft mode. Obviously Andy asked me to turn off the PASM + TC, so I think he would have felt that when he drove yours.
Had all the nannies off, but the shocks on soft (PASM vs PSM). He said the car was too soft, too much roll and slow to transition.

I typically run without both nannies until rears are shot and then I leave traction control on (stability off) need to grow a pair....
Old 11-12-2013, 11:54 AM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Dave,

Yes, I recall the discussion in the classroom and yes I recall it when I get to the track, it is just converting theoretical to practical that is lacking. It may not be quite as bad as I make it sound as my speed in T13 is not significantly different than Andy. Versus Steve it is another story. Still learning, I hope. You were always getting into a car when I came looking for you to get into my car.

Jacy,

I was just saying you and I were on the same settings, so I am surprised that he thought it felt softer than mine. May have something to do with 18" wheels and BFGR1 vs 19" Hoo Hoos.

T
Old 11-12-2013, 11:57 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Dave,

Jacy,

I was just saying you and I were on the same settings, so I am surprised that he thought it felt softer than mine. May have something to do with 18" wheels and BFGR1 vs 19" Hoo Hoos.

T
Maybe, though he did just get out of 2 cup cars, a 430 Challenge, a GTS4 M3, and 2 NARRA GTU cars. Kinda like that feeling when you get into your car after a go-kart race.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 869 Posts

Dave,

Yes, I recall the discussion in the classroom and yes I recall it when I get to the track, it is just converting theoretical to practical that is lacking. It may not be quite as bad as I make it sound as my speed in T13 is not significantly different than Andy. Versus Steve it is another story. Still learning, I hope. You were always getting into a car when I came looking for you to get into my car.

Jacy,

T
Yeah, if you'll notice, Steve's real advantage begins in T12. he carries a LOT more speed than Andy does there, and that momentum carries through all the way into T13 and beyond. Did you get video for Steve's run? If so, post it up, let's look at how he is handling 12-15 versus Andy.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:02 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

I do have Steve's run on video, I was trying to find a way to set them up side by side. I can do it in my software, but I don't know how to publish it. I'll put up the back to back laps and then you can sync two views of YouTube playback to do the comparison.

If someone has the capability to merge them side by side let me know.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:10 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Question

Okay, here are some of my laps compared with each other.

Blue is a 2:04.620
Green is a 2:07.814 (The dip in speed at T12 is due to me letting the yellow 'vette by)
Red is a 2:07.708

Do these graphs make sense, how did I loose 3 seconds?

ETA: Graphs updated. I'll have to review the video, but I think I had the car get loose in front of Edwin just before T14 in the red trace. I'm sure the green dip at T12 is from the yellow Corvette video I posted earlier in the thread.

Thanks
-Mike
Attached Images  

Last edited by TXE36; 11-12-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Andy Lally advanced driving clinic