Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Andy Lally advanced driving clinic

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 12:11 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

....no roll bar and harnesses keeps you honest!

Roll bar and harnesses going in soon.

Anyone parting with an RSS or GMG roll bar? Otherwise ordering in the next week.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:40 PM
vette6autox
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a drive back to B'ham. Drove all night but it was worth it. Andy drove the ol' #9 vette and laid down a a 1:41xx. He said if we had new skins 1:38 no problem. Will have video later. Thanks Dave for letting my guys participate in the event. Andy is a stand up guy and we should do more of these at different tracks with Andy being there. Great event.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

David, glad you made it home safely! Thanks to you, Bryan, Jason, Mike, and George for coming! Andy LOVED your cars (except for Mikes, which he didn't drive after it broke). We are looking at doing more of these, at various locations, with him. Stay tuned!
Old 11-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Doug007
Racer

Originally Posted by Texas RS

Anyone parting with an RSS or GMG roll bar? Otherwise ordering in the next week.
Keeps you honest because you don't want to meet Jesus after just telling a lie in the paddock. Jesus knows your REAL laptimes

Good to hear roll bar and harnesses (don't forget the HANS) are on the way
Old 11-11-2013, 12:52 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas RS

I think Mooty has a couple, but won't help you - the car needs to go to CA for install. I like the GMG RSR bar in mine. You can put the seats all the way back. Not all of them allow for that, especially the passenger side (where it matters for you and I).
Old 11-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Doug007
Racer

It was a fantastic event! Big thanks to Mike Globe and Dave Scott for making this happen.

Andy is a fantastic guy and gave amazing feedback on setup on every car he drove in addition to driving the wheels off of it. He drove a ton of cars with no breaks besides lunch and no complaints. I got the chance to shoot the breeze with him and other guys and it was no different than chatting with any other instructor in the paddock. Just one with more Rolexes

I had a great time working with people and gathering data from my windshield mounted AiM Solo. I will be sending out data files and overlays if I have data from the car owner. I was happy that moving the Solo around worked so well. The battery held up fine and never had a hiccup.

I was able to look at overlays from a few people and, as Mike said, Andy was consistently braking later and carrying more corner entry speed.

I let Lally drive my spec miata after a participant's miata died before he could drive it. They did a few laps tandem and then a few solo. Andy is faster in a bunch of places (as expected) but is destroying me in T4. Got some good things to work on for the December PCA DE
Old 11-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I think Mooty has a couple, but won't help you - the car needs to go to CA for install. I like the GMG RSR bar in mine. You can put the seats all the way back. Not all of them allow for that, especially the passenger side (where it matters for you and I).
Doug,

You more than most should know data don't lie.... That is why I have a good acquisition system in my car. I can focus on driving the car and find out what it means after I get out... So far it just confirms how much I have to learn

Thanks for your help, more data coming later this week. We will see I was able to take any of your excellent analysis and recommendations to the track.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

dammit - the wrong quote was included.... I need the Rennlist Forum for dummies guide. Doug you know what quote should be included.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:25 PM
Doug007
Racer

Just a joke about paddock BS Tim

Needing a full set of safety gear in a car that can do 1:49s is no joke though!
Old 11-11-2013, 03:26 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Here are some videos of being passed by Andy. Mere mortals in street cars had to look out as the closing rates were fast and he was in a different car each time. With a bit of practice it was easier to spot him sooner.

First up is this sequence with Lally driving the yellow Corvette. The video starts back in T4 to illustrate the closing speed. The mirrors are clear just until I'm apexing T11 at about 1:01 as he is entering T10. I thought I had until between T12 and T13 to let him by, but he got to me before T12. I didn't even see the white 'vette on his tail in real time.

Next up, I suspect Lally is driving the white E46 BMW, but I'm not completely sure. It definitely felt like it was Andy based on the driving style. I come out of T15 with a friend of mine closing from behind. His car is nicknamed Hannibal due to the way the front end splitter looks. After giving him a point, this BMW comes out of 15 on afterburner and is closing fast. It feels like Hannibal is taking his own sweet time and I remember thinking "come on man, go faster!" I give the white BMW a point by for T1 and by the middle of T2 the white BMW is having Hannibal for lunch.

-Mike
Old 11-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Yes, that was in fact Andy in Martin's BMW.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:15 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yes, that was in fact Andy in Martin's BMW.
From 0:40 to 0:49 you can really see him preserve his entry speed. Todd did a lot better than me in staying with him, but Lally had him completely outclassed in T1-T2.

I was really impressed with Lally's exit speed out of T15. I knew that before Todd was able to get by me that things were going to get tight in T1. That was very cool to witness.

-Mike
Old 11-11-2013, 06:40 PM
tchiers
5th Gear

Originally Posted by TXE36
It feels like Hannibal is taking his own sweet time and I remember thinking "come on man, go faster!" I give the white BMW a point by for T1 and by the middle of T2 the white BMW is having Hannibal for lunch.
Hey man, I was pedaling as hard as I could. Nothing quite like driving T2 at my personal 10/10ths and watching Lally fill my mirrors like I'm out for a Sunday drive.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:45 PM
Doug007
Racer

To give those that weren't there a feel for the atmosphere, I've included a few pictures I took with my phone during the weekend.

The first two are Andy in a spec miata and a E class Porsche.

Andy did a great track walk on Sunday afternoon which is shown in the third pic.

And finally, Andy hanging out with the guys in what we like to call "the good times van" on the way to the trackwalk
Attached Images     

Last edited by Doug007; 11-11-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:18 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I had the privilege of picking Andy up at the airport on Friday, and taking him to the track. On the way there, we stopped for lunch, and ran into Larry Foyt, who Andy raced with way back when. Larry invited us over to the Foyt Racing shop which turned out to be right behind the restaurant we were in.

There were a few race cars sitting around, including the black Copenhagen car, which was the last Indy car AJ drove. We even got a tour of AJ's office, which was jam packed with trophies.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Andy Lally advanced driving clinic