Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A safety question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 04:09 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Bob, from a gen surgeons point of view, yes the three point would have been better, bc the whole body would be moving, not fixing his thoracic vertebra, but letting the cervical vertebra essentially keep moving. this creates a accel/decell injury with a hangman's fracture of the cerv vert. Perhaps a neuro surg will chime in as well.
c
Old 07-31-2013, 08:34 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 263 Posts

^ Given the mechanics of a hangman's fracture (hyperextension), hard to see how this would be his injury given the fact he was in 6 points and wearing a Hans which does a fine job blocking neck extension. Possible he had a unilateral C2 injury and/or other type of fracture-dislocation given the lateral loads. We're all of course guessing but one thing is for sure - a containment seat +/- net might have saved his life. Just a bummer.

Last edited by jdistefa; 08-04-2013 at 04:13 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 08-03-2013, 04:52 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

had a thought while installing the baby seat (wife gave birth 3 days go to our second). A baby seat is basically a 5 pt racing harness/seat. the one I use in my car is a recaro which would be similar to a halo seat, but most are not.

Doesnt is seam strange that I have to have a hans/halo seat, net, etc, etc to protect from shear forces, but baby seats dont? is that due to the thought that most race accidents will be at a greater speed than street, which is arguable since I dont know many race accidents that are head to head. Or is it just the economics and convenience.

on the flip side, if its safer for a kid to be in a 5pt harness without all the goodies, why would it be safer for a racer to be in a 3pt if he didnt have all the goodies (hans, etc).

seems at a minimum having a halo type baby seat would be safer then a non halo type, which means that I was being perfectly practical when buying a recaro baby seat
Old 08-03-2013, 07:24 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Congrats on the new kid.
Now, I hope that you don't tie him/her down as tight as we strap ourselves in our 5/6-points. That might be the reason why kids don't need hans'.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:32 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 263 Posts

Young children as a rule don't break their necks. If you're really curious google "SCIWORA".
Old 08-04-2013, 10:40 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Jeff, --

You just need to turn your racing seat backwards for about 6 months until you develop sufficient neck strength :-)

m

Quick Reply: A safety question