Sponsored by:

A safety question

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 04:17 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
The time delta when the car is crumpling and slowing and you are not slowing with it is time that you are not loosing energy but gaining energy delta between you and the car. you are in a way negating the crumple zone. it is soaking up energy and you are carrying on in motion rather than dumping energy into the crumpling car. At some point you do stop moving forward and then you have to deal with the grown speed delta between you and the car. Keep in mind in a wreck you don't hit the tire wall, the car does. You hit the car.
Yup. The so-called second impact. Then there's a third impact of your untethered organs, vessels, and connective tissue.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:18 PM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Installation Tips Please

revised below

Last edited by dave-C2; 07-29-2013 at 03:52 PM. Reason: rewrite below
Old 07-29-2013, 10:23 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

On seatbelt stretch from the Wellington Sears Handbook of Industrial Textiles:
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2013, 10:46 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ IIRC from my reading this is for street systems. Look at how street belts systems now use pretensioners to take up slack and reduce movement even further. 3 point systems don't work at all like 6 points do. no you don't want to use steel cable for belting systems but you do want to keep things clean and lined up. De excel from body movement out of the containment system is unwanted.

OTOH please note the bit about "seatbelts should last the life of the car" too bad the makers of race belts can't figure that part out very well and force us to discard good belts every so often regardless of condition.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:42 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
^ IIRC from my reading this is for street systems. Look at how street belts systems now use pretensioners to take up slack and reduce movement even further. 3 point systems don't work at all like 6 points do. no you don't want to use steel cable for belting systems but you do want to keep things clean and lined up. De excel from body movement out of the containment system is unwanted.

OTOH please note the bit about "seatbelts should last the life of the car" too bad the makers of race belts can't figure that part out very well and force us to discard good belts every so often regardless of condition.
I agree with you on most parts, including having to toss perfectly good harnesses, and also on keeping movement inside the containment system (and I particularly like the use of the term system).

I'm not sure we are saying particularly different things. My only point is that the containment system (seats, harness, HAN, side net, helmet...) has to give some in order to absorb some of the deceleration. If you were to consider the end-member case of nothing other than the crush zone of the vehicle having any give, a head-on collision with a barrier at speed (lets say >60mph) would result in forces to the brain that I suspect would be much more than we would want to experience. So some of the system has to absorb some of the deceleration.

Any more comments along these lines by me are likely to conjure up Kibort, so I better shut up now.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:11 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
My comment was in regard to older designs which are not "see through". Some people have purchased those seats without realizing that the halo part needs to be cheek high, otherwise you are wearing blinders - i.e., can't see to the side. Newer designs are see through which eliminates that.

My problem is that I need to keep my car street legal and I can't figure out how to get a net to work.
The “see-through” head restraints style, like the Cobra Evolution, is not new. That design has been around for a number of years and the manufactures also make the wing style head restraint seats. The wing style HR is the predominant style HR for most hi-end seats produced by Racetech, OMP, ButlerBuilt, Recaro and Sparco, etc. Except the ButlerBuilt made custom for each racer, the HR wings are positioned where they can block side vision for some. For that reason I would not recommend them for cars that see street use. However the Sparco Ergo has removable wings which you can bolt on at the track and should allow you some street use.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:53 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
My comment was in regard to older designs which are not "see through". Some people have purchased those seats without realizing that the halo part needs to be cheek high, otherwise you are wearing blinders - i.e., can't see to the side. Newer designs are see through which eliminates that.

My problem is that I need to keep my car street legal and I can't figure out how to get a net to work.
Bob, I run a Cobra Evolution. My car is street/track. However, it really only sees the street on the way to the track and back, and these outings don't occur during rush hour. I'll take it for the odd coffee with the boys as well. Shoulder checks are possible, you just need to sort of make a conscious effort to look through the Halo gap if that makes sense.

I bought a tow vehicle this summer and I'm on the hunt for a deal on an open trailer so I can hit some tracks further away. Take that for what its worth.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:20 PM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Installation Tips

I found some guidance on installation criteria, including 2,000 lb loading on each anchor point based on Safety Solution.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a strong, but sanitary, installation of the front strap in the dash of a 996 GT3?

http://www.apexperformance.net/CartG...%20Install.pdf

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Schroth net p1.pdf (109.1 KB, 70 views)
Schroth net p2.pdf (149.6 KB, 83 views)
Schroth net p3.pdf (155.8 KB, 84 views)
Schroth net p4.pdf (106.4 KB, 60 views)
Old 07-29-2013, 05:16 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

anyone have any picutres of how a kirkey seat is installed? im not picturing the "must be moutned to the roll cage" aspect.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:31 PM
Quinlan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking at a Kirkey seat right now. The one i am looking at (91 series) is designed to be mounted on floor mounted brackets. The back, however, will need to be secured to the cage under PCA (and most other racing organizations) rules by way of a back brace.
Kirkey does have a tubular mount that is welded to the roll cage as a type of cradle. That mount is apparently not for the 91 series seats.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:39 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 455 Likes on 231 Posts

While I've known I needed to switch to a halo seat for some time, this thread finally pushed me over. Speedsport is installing an OMP seat this week.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:35 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

Halo coming my way soon too. Wanted it for a while, this thread making it happen
Old 07-30-2013, 01:58 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 171 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by dizzyj
anyone have any picutres of how a kirkey seat is installed? im not picturing the "must be moutned to the roll cage" aspect.
Picture this: 4 anchors on the typical floor anchors the base. Then you have structure like a back brace that is mounted to the seatback and the cage harness bar. That is the typical minimum. But that is really not adequate but acceptable by most "trackside tech." A better plan is to construct a floor mount system of DOM tubes at lesser diameter but like your roll cage. This mount is welded to your cage. This mount would have not only the 4 places for the seat to base to bolt to but also double shear anchors for the lapbelts and provision for mounting and guiding the sub belts up the seat hole(s). Coming off the harness bar would be more of these same smaller diameter bars to craddle the back of the seat and mount to it. That would give you a minimum of 2 more attachment points to the seat. Remember that a metal seat bends in a crash so it needs to be supported. Remember that he biggest advantage of a metal seat is that you can drill it and mount on it anywhere you want to support it from and you can cut weld on it too so you can do things like get the shoulder belt holes exactly where you need them.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:45 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,749 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Originally Posted by drl
Halo coming my way soon too. Wanted it for a while, this thread making it happen
lol resistence is futile
Old 07-30-2013, 03:54 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default H&N Device

So sorry to hear of the passing of a fellow driver.

I use a Halo Seat, HANS 3" into 2" into 3" Schroth shoulder harnesses, side window nest and soon a right side net.

I had a ISAAC H&N device I bought from a Rennlister. It is a little more difficult to get in and out of but ISAAC claims side impact protection. See: http://www.isaacdirect.com/

I bought it used on Rennlist and later sold it to another Rennlister. On paper, the ISAAC seems to be the best possible protection, but the device doesn't seem to have caught on.

Quick Reply: A safety question