Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A safety question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 10:30 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 263 Posts

Halo seat, period. Lateral nets are useless for head containment re. c-spine injury.

The principle is the same for many injuries: If you fix one part of the body and allow another part to move freely, you've created a potential shear stress zone. Whether you unplug your brainstem, break your neck (or basal skull), or have some type of vascular catastrophe (aortic, gastric, superior mesenteric artery dissection/avulsion, all due to internal shear), the outcomes aren't going to be good.

Opting for 3 points as a way to allow more global movement is, IMHO, an exceedingly bad tradeoff. I think about that not infrequently when I get in the right seat of a car with inadequate safety equipment.

In my own car I have the hybrid 3/2 Hans shoulder belts (it's amazing how much the Hans can move with 2" shoulder belts), and containment seat with proper shoulder holes and belt angles. Why skimp?

I was at Tremblant this past weekend and had some sober reflection driving through turn 6.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:43 PM
BlueBarchetta
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Eifeler
Bob- My last car was street legal and I drove it around from time to time. If you trust your mirrors (as on track), the halo seat is not a problem. For those that need the extra confidence provided by a peripheral peak back to the quarter panels, a halo seat will be unnerving.

I will not race a car that does not have a halo seat. A side benefit is that in an enduro it's nice to occationally let the halo hold your head in place through a long sweeper.

I found the installation of a wink style mirror greatly increased the rearward field of vision and reduced blind spot concerns with my Hans-Halo combination
Old 07-24-2013, 11:06 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Halo seat, period. Lateral nets are useless for head containment re. c-spine injury.

The principle is the same for many injuries: If you fix one part of the body and allow another part to move freely, you've created a potential shear stress zone. Whether you unplug your brainstem, break your neck (or basal skull), or have some type of vascular catastrophe (aortic, gastric, superior mesenteric artery dissection/avulsion, all due to internal shear), the outcomes aren't going to be good.

Opting for 3 points as a way to allow more global movement is, IMHO, an exceedingly bad tradeoff. I think about that not infrequently when I get in the right seat of a car with inadequate safety equipment.

In my own car I have the hybrid 3/2 Hans shoulder belts (it's amazing how much the Hans can move with 2" shoulder belts), and containment seat with proper shoulder holes and belt angles. Why skimp?

I was at Tremblant this past weekend and had some sober reflection driving through turn 6.
^^This

You must keep you hips, shoulder, and head supported in line. With that, impressive crash G's can be tolerated. Without, it takes surprisingly little to result in a catastrophic outcome.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:42 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,749 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
The trouble with Halo seats is that many I have seen were not sized correctly and the result is that the driver is wearing blinders! They need to be the right height! I wonder how much of a nuisance they'd be in a car I drive to the track.
1. practice
2. how tall are you?

i am 5'9"
recaro hans xl seat.
NO blind spot.
i back it into a very tight garage at home all the time.
if you are 5"10 1/2 to 6'., you wont see a see. BLIND.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:06 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Safety equipment

The folks at HANS (during dealer training) recommend having all the safety equipment in addition to their HNR. Halo seat, 6-point belt, driver net, window net, HNR. Everything works together and is better than just using one piece of equipment.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 07-25-2013, 10:45 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 171 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
if the body were held firm by the harness and the head movement was not limited by a halo seat, a center net or some other SFI 38.1 head and neck restraint, that the hyper extension would be MORE likely, sounds plausible to me.
YMMV.
Just a note that not all SFI 38.1 devices provide lateral support. In fact the HANS provides little to none. Other manufacturers trying to gain market share are quick to point out their lateral performane over HANS. So people have to be aware of how their equipment works as part of their "safety system."
Old 07-25-2013, 11:06 AM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by certz
I recently had a passenger side impact with the tires at Mid-Ohio. Not flush, hit right front quarter, then door, then right rear quarter. I have a halo seat and I have watched the video several times in slow-mo/frame-by-frame. I was happy (relative term) to see my head just "rattle" a half inch between the halo uprights and no further. I was surprised to see my head move upwards out of the seat, though, but I guess the energy has to go somewhere and I assume this was belt stretch. In any case, I will always have a halo seat after seeing that video.
Sorry to hear about your shunt, but I think it's a great learning aid if you post that video. However, I'll understand if you choose not.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:32 PM
Quinlan
Racer

Matt, which brand of halo seat do you use?
Old 07-25-2013, 12:38 PM
YourFace
Spark-plug-girl
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No answer can be completely right or wrong. So, I propose this solution, would a side passenger seat specifically designed to absorb the force (crumble zone) of a left side impact during a collision increase safety for the driver?
Old 07-25-2013, 01:01 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

A couple weeks ago I made a mistake that put me into the wall (almost flush to the driver's side) after a 180° spin at ~63 mph with a 6 g impact followed by bouncing off and rotating another 180° and ending up upside down. I never had any pain or soreness, I think thanks to my safety equipment. The only mark on me was my helmet was scuffed where it impacted my halo seat. I am, and always have been, a big fan of halo seats. Mine is was a Recaro HANS (I'll be getting a new one after the impact).
Old 07-25-2013, 01:25 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dang Tom, glad you're OK. How's the Turtle?
Old 07-25-2013, 01:29 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinlan
Matt, which brand of halo seat do you use?
Recaro Pro Racer Hans. You gotta go with what fits you - hips, torso, head height.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:33 PM
Doug007
Racer

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Grand-am's center net requirement. Even with a halo, your head CAN escape in some situations. Grand-am requires the use of head nets on both sides of the seat (rule 15-1.9: http://www.grand-am.com/Portals/0/Im...013%20Text.pdf)

Here are some pics of Grand-Am cars:

Old 07-25-2013, 01:45 PM
CAM14
Instructor

Originally Posted by freshfaceinurface
No answer can be completely right or wrong. So, I propose this solution, would a side passenger seat specifically designed to absorb the force (crumble zone) of a left side impact during a collision increase safety for the driver?
If I understand correctly what you proposing, then absolutely no. In the context of a street car turned into a track day/race car, any device in the passenger seat area is not going to absorb the energy that will cause the driver’s body to have a sudden change of direction. The root cause of the problem is that the car (which has a fairly substantial mass) is moving at a given projection with a given velocity, then there is a sudden negative acceleration when to car hits something harder with more mass, like a wall, (remember Newton’s F=M*A). While the car has a sudden change in direction, the driver’s mass wants to continue in the previous projection. Any part of the driver that is not secured will want to migrate to the previous projection. Therefore, if the drivers body is secured by harness and seat but the head is not, then only the head will continue until something else stops it, like soft tissue. But a halo seat will do a superior job of containing the head. I’m a huge fan of the halo seat even if it is inconvenient at times.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:47 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm fine, Turtle is being fixed and the shop is trying hard to be ready so I can get to the Road America race in a month. It's just a question of how quickly all the parts arrive.

Quick Reply: A safety question