Sponsored by:

Mishaps, I still don't get it.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 11:32 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mishaps, I still don't get it.

In my line of work, in fact; in life, one learns the most from their mistakes.
To that end, I've always posted my own racing mishaps to the forum as a priority.
And received good feedback.
Now, there were more than a few incidents at The Glen Clash this weekend, and I'm sure there is video out there. It's not voyerism, I want to learn from what happened.
So, why is posting this considered taboo and now shrouded in secrecy?
Old 06-03-2013, 11:41 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

How do you mean? it is Monday. Racing ended late yesterday afternoon, and many folks are probably buried at work, etc. Give it time.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:53 AM
MSTACH
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
Old 06-04-2013, 12:53 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Posting pictures and videos of someone else's unfortunate incident or mistake is just ambulance chasing, rubbernecking monday morning quartebacking, backseat driving BS...just my opinion.
Kind of like when everyone comes over and looks and takes pIctures of a wreck. Not our place to do so, inappropriate at best. Want anyone revisiting all the poor choices you make throughout life? Example ... the legalistic judgmental types telling you how to live etc, but failing to acknowledge the dog crap in their own corners.
If you want to post your own errors then that is fine, someone else's, no way.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:24 AM
Cheyenne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When it comes to mistakes in motorsports...well, that's why half the people that do it do it, and half the people that watch it watch it.

Some love the adrenalin rush of taking big risks, some like the quiet intensity of doing something with precision that has consequences for failure.

And infinite mixes of the above duality.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:11 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
Posting pictures and videos of someone else's unfortunate incident or mistake is just ambulance chasing, rubbernecking monday morning quartebacking, backseat driving BS...just my opinion.
Kind of like when everyone comes over and looks and takes pIctures of a wreck. Not our place to do so, inappropriate at best. Want anyone revisiting all the poor choices you make throughout life? Example ... the legalistic judgmental types telling you how to live etc, but failing to acknowledge the dog crap in their own corners.
If you want to post your own errors then that is fine, someone else's, no way.
+13
Old 06-04-2013, 09:21 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Some love the adrenalin rush of taking big risks, some like the quiet intensity of doing something with precision that has consequences for failure.
Nicely said.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:37 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry, but that's exactly where I disagree. It's as much a part of the sport as posting your first checker. The very basis of this forum is to share unbiased information. You prefer it all be edited and spun?

Thanks for manning up, Stach. And congrat's on a fantastic first outing, you must be ecstatic with your new car!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
Sorry, but that's exactly where I disagree. It's as much a part of the sport as posting your first checker. The very basis of this forum is to share unbiased information. You prefer it all be edited and spun?

Thanks for manning up, Stach. And congrat's on a fantastic first outing, you must be ecstatic with your new car!
If you are a pro, your stuff is out there if televised or you choose to post.
Amateurs posting others misfortune and then critiquing is laughable as a learning tool at best and akin to rubbernecking and gravedigger status.

Again if you post your own, fine, great.

As you point out it is a public forum and everyone can do as they like, no censorship or spin here.

I never go look at a wreck, take pictures, etc... Find it disgusting and like to cover my cars headlights when she may be able to see one, don't want her to get scared...

We can agree to disagree, no worries.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:12 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gums
For whatever it is worth, when I wadded up my car, I was a little insulted when folks took pictures. Like rubbing salt in someone's wounds.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:19 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I would agree but posting your own mistakes is another story altogether. I can't imagine that the other driver in mstach's video would be upset about it being posted.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:24 AM
caymancyr
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
For whatever it is worth, when I wadded up my car, I was a little insulted when folks took pictures. Like rubbing salt in someone's wounds.
Your "wadded up" car was a part of the spectacle of racing that people come to see. Everyone's merely fascination with your incident. Their fascination should not be insulting (maybe a little embarrassing and costly which is why we, your fellow racers, sympathize with you), but, instead, simply understood and expected from our typical audience. Just be happy we're not living in Roman Times!

Last edited by caymancyr; 06-04-2013 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Signature
Old 06-04-2013, 10:24 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,065 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
That's why every shop owner or racer should have a car cover at the ready AND PUT IT ON right away after the car comes in. The "ghoul factor" is rampant...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-04-2013, 10:28 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

As a newish racer, I want to thank MSTACH for posting that vid. It was clearly his mistake, and while I'm acutely aware of the need to avoid doing what he did, seeing it happen heightens that awareness.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Sooooo, what if my video graphical recordation of my greatness happens to include someone's misfortune? Am I not allowed to put my awesomeness on display for all to see?

Quick Reply: Mishaps, I still don't get it.