Sponsored by:

Mishaps, I still don't get it.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 05:31 PM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
OK, I've just spent some time reviewing the PCA Club Racing 2013 Rule Book: http://www.pca.org/portals/cr/2013%2...ule%20Book.pdf

And there is no mention of passing rules, how to overtake, who "owns" a corner, etc. It is really all distilled into the following statement (on page 6, under Driver Requirements):

So, in the incident we're discussing, if we were going to assign blame, we'd have to show that one driver or the other (or both) acted in such a way to place the other driver in a "damaging or dangerous situation".

But I agree, Scott - and I [hope to] drive in such a way that I either leave room for a car attempting a pass, or I don't leave an opening in the first place.
I have been following the guidance given in PCA Chief National Steward Vicki Earnshaw's column on Page 6 of Club Racing News Volume 11.4 (http://www.pca.org/portals/crn/CRN-2011-4.pdf):

"Who has the corner?
I want to thank Carl Tallardy for the 360 degree awareness article in the last issue of CRN. The 13/13 rule puts a lot of responsibility on each racer to be aware of the drivers he or she is competing with. We place the responsibility on the overtaking car to complete a safe pass. The car ahead at the turn in has the corner. Unless the car executing the pass is at the front bumper or ahead, the pass has not been completed. Backing off, braking hard, and having a way out are a few options to avoid contact with the car ahead. Some of you race in other venues where the front door or front wheel of the car you are passing gives you the corner. We do not want to advocate "dive bomb passing" moves and we stand by the procedure mentioned above."

In the previous month's column (http://www.pca.org/portals/crn/CRN-2011-3.pdf), she had written:

"We emphasize the importance of Common Sense Awareness. This concept is for everyone, from rookies to race leaders. Recently there have been situations involving lead cars. For example, the lead car must earn the pass as it comes through the field. In one situation a faster car attempted an inside pass in the braking zone for a left hand turn. The faster car was able to get up to the left rear of the car ahead but the right front of the faster car hit the left rear of the car being passed. The car on the right had not changed its line. Even though this type of pass may have worked in prior corners you need to maintain a "way out" because in this situation the faster car was not ahead at the turn-in for the corner. If both cars are even at turn-in then both must leave racing room."

I would like PCA to include this type of information in the rule book, perhaps as an appendix as is done by NASA and PRC. Whether one agrees with this approach to overtaking or not, it is critical that everyone understands the rules that apply for a given race.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:33 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

No 13 for that, how generous of them... must be different rules for the 944's. Identical thing happened to me a few years ago and it screwed my whole weekend!
Old 06-04-2013, 05:35 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MSTACH
Ok, so That was Ernie a front of me,
We did not get 13/13
He said that he did not see me coming and that ""
This was my second PCA club race (rookie) and I need to get some more to avoid this.

Mike Stach
"We did not get 13/13"- I'm cool with that either none or both, equal responsibility.

"nobody pass in turn 5"- Ha, may be true in DEs...but a race?
Old 06-04-2013, 05:36 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
No 13 for that, how generous of them... must be different rules for the 944's. Identical thing happened to me a few years ago and it screwed my whole weekend!
Happened to me, Turn 1 at VIR last year as well and one 13 handed out - to me. Other driver admitted he saw me but "left room". Yes, a whole car width of room, on the inside grass, thanks man.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:37 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I made a lot of passes right there over the weekend. Both inside and around the outside.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

IMO, t5 is a GREAT place to pass.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:50 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

PCA passing rules need to be in the rule book. It has been talked about for years and nobody listens.
Rookies hear different things at their meetings depending on who is giving it.
You will hear slightly different interpretations of passing rules at drivers meetings depending on who is holding the meeting.

There are incident scenarios discussed in the club racing news letter and I really appreciate them, but that is not the same as a set of rules/guidelines.

I really have mixed feelings about the PCA 13/13 system. After racing with PCA for 10 years I honestly don't know if it really works or not.
I think it has created a culture of blocking in PCA, more than actual racing.
I see a lot of drivers really taking advantage of the rule.
Too much defensive driving,chop blocking, and other crap.

There seems to be multiple incidents at almost every race.
Would we have more without a 13/13 rule?
Do we have more or less than other sanctioning bodies?
How many races/race weekends have been ruined over light contact during a race?

This is not meant to be a "sour grapes" post against PCA. I know there are no easy answers.
I have had, and continue to have a lot of fun racing with PCA. I appreciate all of the hard work that goes into making all of the races happen.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:53 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 860 Likes on 428 Posts

I don't like this whole "owns the corner" mentality. In my view, the only time you "own" the corner is when there is no overlap. If there is over lap, you leave racing room. This is club racing, not racing earning a living. Who wins when the lead car turns in to the apex and hits the car with less than 100% overlap? Only the cars behind the incident that move up a few spots (assuming the incident does not end up involving them as well).

Having said that, unless I am sure the car in front of me is not coming over, I have an escape plan in case they do. I certainly don't stick the nose of my car somewhere the last second and expect racing room to be given.

Scott
Old 06-04-2013, 06:08 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

And by the way, Stach, had Ernie released his brakes (to keep from flat spotting) he'd have rammed you really hard as you ducked by.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:19 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
I don't like this whole "owns the corner" mentality. In my view, the only time you "own" the corner is when there is no overlap. If there is over lap, you leave racing room.
^This. Skip Barber series have similar rule and IMO it's the most consistent one and a rule that discourages nasty behavior the best, IMO.

It also nicely complements their blocking rule which says that the lead car can chose a (defensive) line once and can't maneuver back and forth to block (impede the progress of) the car behind. If the overtaking car manages to establish ANY overlap (definitely if its front wheels are overlapping with the rear wheels of the other) the overtaken car cannot do anything which would impede its progress (block it) including pushing the overtaking car off the track as the overtaken one goes for the apex. The overtaken car must leave room.

Now sometimes the overtaken car still doesn't go by this rule so it's prudent for the overtaking car to have a plan B in order to avoid contact (bringing a pit-in penalty for both cars, DNF, and/or potential damage liability). But this is just strategy.

Skip Barber managers/instructors know a thing or two about minimizing damage/risk/liability. They must, or they'd go out of business. Perhaps PCA could learn something from them and copy their rules.

Last edited by hf1; 06-04-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:30 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Excellent

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Not knowing all of the circumstances (nor the outcome), I applaud the posting of this video for the edification and considered thought of those who bother to look at it AND think about it and their own driving... Let's do a little PM here.

Not unusual because folks are in there for a LONG time, the exit from the bus stop varies from driver to driver, many don't have a very clear vision of what they want they want to do here and MOST drivers are not "on the limit," therefore are slow enough to abruptly change direction.

The BIGGEST danger the overtaking car is demonstrating in this video is "hanging" off the blind rear quarter of the car he wishes to overtake, exposing him to the incident, for WAY too long. Either get it done, or leave yourself more of an "out."

True, in this case.

I would HOPE you (and other faster drivers) are planning on rubbing with their right front tire, the intersection between the pavement and the curbing for several car lengths and closest abeam to the worker station.

Agreed, if you take the line away from the outside guy, you can accelerates strongly enough to beat them to the brake point for Turn 6. However, if the outside guy toughs it out and you are unable to capitalize on that, they'll get to the turn-in point at T6 in the same way you took their line away through Turn 5. Goes both ways.

I'm still struggling with the variation in assignation of blame in PCA Club Racing, and I don't know the outcome of this one, but I can see both ways.

If I KNEW there was someone overlapping me, I would leave a car width plus 6" on the inside to prevent that contact from happening. The potentially overtaken car car didn't do that. They did make an abrupt, sudden move (it appears) and left the overtaking car (MSTACH) no option but to hit him.

OTOH, there is no potential for contact if there is no overtaking car "sticking their nose in," which is the root cause of most 13/13 "responsibility" incidents.

As usual, this was not a static issue, the situation developed over time, neither driver really was very decisive and both got caught out.

It's never easy, but to answer the last (bold) question, unless you are side-by-side or nose-inches-ahead, it's the lead car's race track...

MSTACH had enough steam, IMO, to draw further alongside (at least evenly) while he was waiting for things to shake out, and stake claim to track position before the potentially overtaken car took the abrupt action he did that resulted in contact.
Nice assessment Peter. I think it should be a 13 for MSTACH but the other car was so far left that he should have know MSTACH was coming and left a car width. I know I would have left that much room had I entered that far out.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:01 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MSTACH
He said that he did not see me coming
I love when people say "they didn't see you" while in a racing environment.......

What exactly are they doing while racing?

1. Texting
2. Changing radio stations,
3. Looking for deer to cross the track?
Old 06-04-2013, 07:06 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 860 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
I love when people say "they didn't see you" while in a racing environment.......

1. Texting
Why is this such a mystery? Tunnel vision is common in activities such as going fast around a race track....

Scott
Old 06-04-2013, 07:08 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Why is this such a mystery? Tunnel vision is common in activities such as going fast around a race track....

Scott
Track/racing awareness is a common trait of good racers......
Old 06-04-2013, 07:09 PM
Doug007
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD

1. Texting
4. Forgot they were racing and thought it was a DE

Quick Reply: Mishaps, I still don't get it.