Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

2013 Grand Prix of Canada

Old 06-05-2013, 12:54 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,856 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.
Sun-tzu
Chinese general & military strategist (~400 BC)
meh, I think it was Don Corleone, Godfather I
Old 06-05-2013, 10:37 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Teams to Ferrari...

FU

My advice is to start renting out your private tracks to PCA events.

http://www.onestopstrategy.com/daily...oted+down.html

FERRARI'S TEST RELAXATION PROPOSAL VOTED DOWN
Wednesday 5 June at 08:35 : Jun.5 (GMM) A proposal by Ferrari to ease F1's strict testing limits was voted down in Monaco.

The Italian team, the owner of the Mugello and Fiorano circuits, proposed that teams be allowed to trade wind tunnel hours, straightline testing and promotional days in exchange for more actual circuit testing.

But Germany's Auto Motor und Sport claims the proposal was narrowly defeated in a vote.

Rumours of Ferrari's proposal were soon deafened by the controversy about Mercedes' 'secret' Barcelona test, about which Ferrari and Red Bull protested.

But Ferrari is also being probed for its own Pirelli tyre test, also run at Barcelona but with a 2011 car and Pedro de la Rosa at the wheel.

Red Bull's Christian Horner has defended the Italian team, saying only Mercedes' test with a 2013 car should be under the spotlight.

And O Estado de S.Paulo newspaper also quotes Red Bull designer Adrian Newey as saying: "A test with a 2011 car is legal."

The 'secret' Mercedes test is certain to be a big topic of conversation this weekend in Canada, where another good performance by the Monaco-winning team would be controversial.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:39 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Default Bridgestone says No Thank You

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107869

Bridgestone has ruled out a return to Formula 1 next year amid uncertainty over Pirelli's future in the sport.

The Japanese manufacturer, which came into F1 in 1997, pulled out of the sport at the end of the 2010 season.

A spokesperson has confirmed that there are no plans to reverse that decision.

"We have no current plans to re-enter F1," a Bridgestone spokesperson told AUTOSPORT.

"Since our participation in F1, Bridgestone has achieved a significant improvement in brand awareness in Europe and in other areas all over the world.

"At the same time, Bridgestone was successful in applying the technologies for compounds, design, and simulation for F1 tyres for the development of passenger car tires.

"We can say that the participation of Bridgestone in F1 for 14 years was very significant.

"Under the current business environment which is continuously changing, Bridgestone focused on the need to redirect its resources towards the further intensive development of those innovative technologies and strategic products, and decided not to re-enter into a new tire supply contract after the expiration of the contract at the end of the 2010 season."

Hankook, which has been tipped as a potential supplier, has also ruled out a move into F1 next year.

Pirelli, which succeed Bridgestone as control tyre supplier, is still working on a deal to continue in 2014.

While a commercial agreement is believed to have been reached, a contract still needs to be finalised with the teams.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back to the drivers, I picked Nico. After a little reflection, the Mercs have become really fast, Canada is easy on tires IIRC, and Rosberg is driving better than Hamilton at the moment. Finally, he is on a roll coming off the win at Monaco.

Of course, I wouldn't be the least bit upset if Kimi happened to win.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:47 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Hankook ... Out
Bridgestone .... Out
Pirelli ... in jail

Michelin .... maybe?

Report - Michelin considering F1 return
Friday 7 June at 09:35 : Jun.7 (GMM) Michelin is the latest tyre brand linked with F1 in 2014.

In recent days, former F1 supplier Bridgestone joined Korea's Hankook in playing down the prospect of replacing Pirelli next season.

Manuel Franco, the correspondent for the Spanish sports daily AS, wrote on Thursday: "In the Montreal paddock it is being said that Michelin representatives have met with F1 executives to look into returning to the sport."

Michelin returned to F1 in 2001 to compete against Bridgestone, but fell out badly with the FIA in the wake of the 2005 US grand prix fiasco at Indianapolis, and pulled out a season later when F1 moved to a control-tyre formula.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Larry L
Race Car

Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Im going with Alonso. He's due for a good weekend. Kimi if FA gets mugged.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:20 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Hankook ... Out
Bridgestone .... Out
Pirelli ... in jail

Michelin .... maybe?

Report - Michelin considering F1 return
Friday 7 June at 09:35 : Jun.7 (GMM) Michelin is the latest tyre brand linked with F1 in 2014.

In recent days, former F1 supplier Bridgestone joined Korea's Hankook in playing down the prospect of replacing Pirelli next season.

Manuel Franco, the correspondent for the Spanish sports daily AS, wrote on Thursday: "In the Montreal paddock it is being said that Michelin representatives have met with F1 executives to look into returning to the sport."

Michelin returned to F1 in 2001 to compete against Bridgestone, but fell out badly with the FIA in the wake of the 2005 US grand prix fiasco at Indianapolis, and pulled out a season later when F1 moved to a control-tyre formula.
that would be huge. All of a sudden Pirelli doesn't have the leverage they would have imagined if this report is indeed true. Michelin also said that they did not want to be the sole provider of tires. They want a tire war, at least that's what they've said in the past, don't know if Pirelli would want that, UNLESS......... Pirelli knows something we don't and there will be 2 suppliers in 2014 and they need to get MBF1 on board as their team for 2014 and give them a head start?

I could be wrong because Pirelli hasn't been asked to make a competitive tire vs. another supplier, only a tire that F1 wants to have to make a better "show", but if I'm a team principal, I'm going with Michelin vs. Pirelli on my cars for 2014 given the choice....
Old 06-08-2013, 05:54 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Hmmn...

Paddy Lowe starts at Mercedes much earlier than expected...

Ross Brawn now takes full responsibility for test...and fails to implicate Toto and Nikki?

Does Sacrificial Lamb come to mind?

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/...s-his-decision
Old 06-08-2013, 05:43 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Bottas! Great to see a Williams up front again. Vettel really is a master at qualifying, so few mistakes coupled with blazing speed, unlike Hamilton who almost had him. Mercedes is running Brembo on Rosberg's car but Hamilton is now on his preferred Carbon Industie set-up. Let's see how the compare now that Hamilton is more happy with his brakes.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:30 PM
Larry L
Race Car

Bottas is a revelation. Are we seeing a future Finnish champion in action?

Really disappointed in Alonso's performance. He looked good in the dry.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:43 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry L
Bottas is a revelation. Are we seeing a future Finnish champion in action?

Really disappointed in Alonso's performance. He looked good in the dry.
Alonso is on a dry set up and is in a good position to podium tomorrow, but probably not on the top step.

Vottas looked good, but he doesn't have the car in dry conditions, which is what is being forcast for tomorrow and will probably slip out of the top ten by mid race.

I can't believe Massa crashed heavily again! He's so fragile from a mental standpoint that I'm afraid all the good he had done prior to Monaco might be for naught.

... and then there is Grojean.....

Can't believe Vettel is already 3rd all time for P1 qualifying right behind Senna and Schumacher and in only 107 starts! The difference between he and Webber always comes out in adverse conditions.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:01 PM
Larry L
Race Car

Massa appeared to have regained his earlier form, and had a good season going before Monaco. I hope he can put a top five together tomorrow, but it doesn't look good.

Grosjean reminds me of Andrea deCesaris - always in the middle of a pileup.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:10 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Kimi and Ricciardo handed two grid place penalty for cutting in line during Q2. I wondered how they were going to handle that. Apparently Kimi also raced the RB's and cut off Webber coming out in Q3, didn't see any video however.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107971
Old 06-08-2013, 08:14 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
...Vottas looked good, but he doesn't have the car in dry conditions, which is what is being forcast for tomorrow and will probably slip out of the top ten by mid race...
Bottas Pete, Bottas! I told you guys he's good.
Agree fully with you though, unless the conditions,are like today, no chance to stay there with Williams.
But still, soon another torn on Pete's side (=another good Finn for me to root for).
Old 06-08-2013, 10:03 PM
leejo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like F1 teams to be able to test as much as they please, personally. Certainly think that if everyone is going to beat up on Pirelli's crummy tires they need to make it possible to test and fix the tires.

It's getting to be like watching the NBA with a height limit of 6'8" and teams only allowed to practice together twice a week and no-one may drink any water during the game...It's definitely a test, but of what?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Grand Prix of Canada