Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

2013 Grand Prix of Canada

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 01:25 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
Agree. Let's put it this way, what if Vettel didn't exist (Scuderia wet dream I know)? Alonso would likely have 4 WDCs now, Webber would still have zilch WDCs, with the same car, same Newey.
I am not so sure Alonso would have 4 WDC ... Vettel did take points away from Webber, as well as Alonso as well as everyone else. If Vettel did not exist Webber could very well have won in 2010 and in the dominant 2011 car likely would have also won. But 2012 probably would have gone to Alonso. I do think that Vettel is better than Webber, but Webber is a quality experienced driver capable of winning races. How many times have we seen Webber go wheel to wheel with another top notch driver and no carbon fiber gets shed. Webber's best chance was 2010 and unfortunately for him his bike accident put an end to his WDC dream and opened up the door for Vettel to win instead. Of course Vettel could have won in 2009 had Button not built the massive lead he did early in the season and Vettel also made that mistake tangling with Kubicia in the 2009 Melbourne race that cost him a podium. But they all make mistakes ... there isn't a driver on the grid who has not made mistakes in their career.

2014 will be interesting if the Iceman does join Red Bull. Even though I am a Vettel fan, I am eagerly awaiting to see how he performs with another WDC as a teammate.

Last edited by My993C2; 06-10-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:28 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,428 Likes on 2,038 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
I do think that Vettel is better than Webber, but Webber is a quality experienced driver capable of winning races. How many times have we seen Webber go wheel to wheel with another top notch driver and no carbon fiber gets shed.
These 2 sentences stopped me in my tracks. Anyone could win a few races in the Red Bull, it's that good. But the one that really stands out is Webber going wheel to wheel. I see Webber as a modern day Couthard, a total hack/butcher when it comes to passing or being passed. Watch the past few years and you'll see. Alonso is the only one that he let's by with any ease (fellow Briatore client).

Last edited by multi21; 06-10-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:38 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotta agree with Pete. I do like him but Webber is a bit of a bonehead.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:50 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Pete
These 2 sentences stopped me in my tracks. Anyone could win a few races in the Red Bull, it's that good. But the one that really stands out is Webber going wheel to wheel. I see Webber as a modern day Couthard, a total hack/butcher when it comes to passing or being passed. Watch the past few years and you'll see. Alonso is the only one that he let's by with any ease (fellow Briatore client).
There is only so far I will go towards defending the Aussie. Without a doubt he made mistakes in the first three referenced videos (no point commenting on the 4th video). But the only real boneheaded move was the 3rd video, his Valencia crash. The other two crashes can happen to anyone who is caught out in the wet and/or gets their tires on the wet grass or wet painted lines. Massa's crash during this Saturday's qualifying round was result of him getting his tires on the painted lines on a wet track. Mistakes happen in this sport, and they happen to everyone. But you are probably right about Webber playing nice with Alonso, the fellow Briatore client (though that pass he made on the Spaniard at Eau Rouge a couple of years ago required a huge set of you know what).
Old 06-10-2013, 04:13 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

C2, I threw in that last video parody as a joke... like to keep it light around here.

going back to the yellow flag, am I the only one that saw red and yellow? Even on the NBC feed when Matchet was pointing it out, there was a yellow box and a red box right next to it meaning debris and I can only think that it was the end plate of Webber's car on track.

As a Ferrari tifoso, Am I now seeing a yellow and red debris flag and my mind playing tricks on me?

Can't find anything on the news reports or blogs about passing under yellow. I erased my DVR of the race or I'd go back and take a still screen photo of it.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
.... If a driver is a ½ sec off the pace, they don't stay long in F1.
Yes they do...they're called pay drivers, e.g. Maurussia, Caterham, HRT.

Personally, I say get rid of the backmarker teams and be done with it.
Bernie already told the 11th team there shoud be no Constructor's money.

Today's backmarkers are far worse than Minardi and Jordan.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:05 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

going back to the yellow flag, am I the only one that saw red and yellow? Even on the NBC feed when Matchet was pointing it out, there was a yellow box and a red box right next to it meaning debris and I can only think that it was the end plate of Webber's car on track.

As a Ferrari tifoso, Am I now seeing a yellow and red debris flag and my mind playing tricks on me?

Can't find anything on the news reports or blogs about passing under yellow. I erased my DVR of the race or I'd go back and take a still screen photo of it.
When I first heard about this pass my reaction was WTF as there it was in the video from two different camera angles, Alonso passing while a yellow light is flashing. But then you made your comment last night, I went back to watch the video again and while it is hard to see the red light, there is a box adjacent to yellow and it could very well be flashing red. It's hard to tell. The BBC guys made absolutely no comment during the race about the yellow light while the Sky Sports guys did comment in real time about the flashing yellow, but then Martin Brundle immediately said "It's probably for a debris caution" for Webbers wing that fell off at the chicane. Since Sky Sports made no further deal about this pass, it appears that you were correct. While it is not easy to see in the video, there very well could have been a red light flashing with the yellow.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

C2, I threw in that last video parody as a joke... like to keep it light around here.

You're fine.

It was actually a yellow AND blue flag, which when combined = Green, which was Charlie Whiting's way of cheering on Alonso.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:19 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
You're fine.

It was actually a yellow AND blue flag, which when combined = Green, which was Charlie Whiting's way of cheering on Alonso.
History has shown that your quick mind would come up with something funny about this event and somehow Alonso would NOT ONLY be absolved of all wrong doing, but actually encouraged to go faster and pass.

How do you feel about your 2013 WDC prediction now? Vettel is pulling away and has a full race and a half points lead. Gotta agree with Alonso on this one, Sebastian seems to never get any type of bad luck or untimely DNFs. Certainly his is way overdue.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:14 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

History has shown that your quick mind would come up with something funny about this event and somehow Alonso would NOT ONLY be absolved of all wrong doing, but actually encouraged to go faster and pass.

How do you feel about your 2013 WDC prediction now? Vettel is pulling away and has a full race and a half points lead. Gotta agree with Alonso on this one, Sebastian seems to never get any type of bad luck or untimely DNFs. Certainly his is way overdue.
Are you inferring that my picking Alonso to be 2013 WDC was in fact insincere?
Are you implying that I chose Alonso to simply limit the number of time the Report Post (aka Tifosi Hurt Feelings) button is used?
How dare you Sir
Old 06-10-2013, 06:18 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Here is an articulate commentary, with pie charts and all, explaining why Alonso is a shoe-in to win the Canadian GP

http://www.f1news.com/contributor1.asp?p1=canada2013
Old 06-11-2013, 12:14 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Here is an articulate commentary, with pie charts and all, explaining why Alonso is a shoe-in to win the Canadian GP

“Brindley you have the IQ of a sponge”.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:29 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc

Genuis, so just fire the engineers, and hire statisticians.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:07 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Any commentary that concludes with Alonso winning is, by default, correct and indisputable.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:56 AM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Vettel has resigned with Red Bull through to the end of the 2015 season. Ferrari after that? Who knows ...

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...3/6/14673.html

Quick Reply: 2013 Grand Prix of Canada