Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2013 Grand Prix of Canada

Who is going? Who will win?
Old 05-28-2013, 06:01 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I picked Hamilton. Not sure why. I'm not really a fan, but I have a feeling that he'll have something to prove after Monaco.

I also predict that Webber will overdo a block and hit someone.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:05 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to have to go with the Ham Sandwich on this one.

Not only has he done well at this track in the past, but Merc has been given 1000 miles of free testing nobody else had access to.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:11 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be there in person and Montreal is hard on tires so I hope Kimi will bring it home in the lead!
Old 05-28-2013, 06:20 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,709 Posts

It's so early. Will the FIA make a decision before Canada on the Mercedes/Pirelli debacle? Hard to say.

Track is hard on brakes, no real fast sweepers, but rather hard sprint and stops, sprint and stops. Can't remember if the track is hard on tires though....

Mercedes powered cars always have a good go of it, but Red Bull is just so strong on all circuits it's hard to rule them out and Vettel now has a really comfortable lead in the points that he must feel more relaxed, it's hard not to pick him. This is not a typical track Ferrari likes.

Going with Vettel.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:56 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am a Fernando fan from way back in his Minardi days and then the change to Renault with two WDCs. It is obvious that the silver arrows are the fastest cars on the tracks and if they can learn to conserve their tires they may prove a worthy challenger Kimi is consistant race after race and could sneak into the lead of the WDC. But, for Canada, I'm going with the Spaniard, Fernando Alonso
Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2013, 09:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Since Sato is no longer in F1, there will be no repeat of the most famous pass in F1 history (do you even have to ask?), it comes down to either of the two teams who won the 2013 Pirelli tyre testing lottery (MB and Ferrari).
The FIA and IT won't deal with Mercedes until at least the German GP, so that means....

Alonso FTW.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:50 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,242 Likes on 1,576 Posts

IreallythinkKimiisgoingtotakethewin!
Old 05-28-2013, 10:19 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Since Sato is no longer in F1, there will be no repeat of the most famous pass in F1 history (do you even have to ask?), it comes down to either of the two teams who won the 2013 Pirelli tyre testing lottery (MB and Ferrari).
The FIA and IT won't deal with Mercedes until at least the German GP, so that means....

Alonso FTW.
Don't worry, Grojean will be channeling Rennlist's favorite son...

Old 05-29-2013, 06:09 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Could be Hammy but Kimi's pissed and Alonso too conservative (or at least was in Monaco) so I'm going with the Iceman, street circuit but you can pass there although Lotus is not fast on straight, but still, from 2-5 starting position you can climb up.

Start will be interesting, especially if Ferraris are 5-8 or so, they have the best start system so they will charge up at the start.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:49 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm holding off until the FIA figures out what they're going to do about Tiregate (hilarious we're still adding -gate to scandals).

Without a penalty though it's hard not to vote for a Mercedes car, they tested the new tire Pirelli is bringing to Canada, a tire no one else has data on. 1000kms of data versus ziltch. Hmmm, they may have a miniscule, nano-sized advantage no?

Ferrari and Red Bull launched a protest and the Monaco stewards have referred the matter to the FIA, who in turn is set to decide if the issue should be heard by the International Tribunal.

While Ferrari and Red Bull were quite outspoken over the issue, the rest of the grid have kept quiet until now with Lotus, Force India and Marussia finally adding their voice to the debate.

Lotus team principal Eric Boullier opted against joining the protest in Monaco, but he is in no doubt that Mercedes broke the rules.

"Our position is there is a sporting regulation in place, there is even a testing agreement in place between the teams, and what took place is a breach of the sporting code," said Boullier.

"Whatever permission was given, it should be allowed to everybody - or at least to make everybody aware - and not to test alone somewhere."

Asked if Mercedes would have gained any advantage, Boullier replied: "Sure, you can gain any advantage by doing this.

"If they did it, I think it was mainly because they thought they could have an advantage, but it is more about the breach of the sporting code."

Force India deputy team principal Bob Fernley said: "If you are going to do a test you need to be transparent about it. It's not going to do you any favours by trying to do something you are going to be caught out on. Even if it's right, it's not helpful."

Marussia sporting director Graeme Lowdon says it is quite clear that Mercedes had an in-season test.

"My understanding is we're not allowed to test in season and from what I understand, that was an in-season test," he said.

"I'm sure it will be investigated with the vigour required."
Old 05-29-2013, 10:53 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess Pirelli read my post. Can't put the genie back in the bottle boys. This is what they should have done to begin with, give every team new tires, practice time and in the open.

It has emerged that the new specification Pirelli tyres which were promised for the Canadian Grand Prix will now only be tested there during practice and will be used for competition only from Silverstone onwards. The move means that teams will have two sets of the tyres which will feature a new construction, aimed at reducing the risk of delaminations, to try out before Pirelli make the harder compound versions for use in competition at Silverstone.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:09 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Could be Hammy but Kimi's pissed and Alonso too conservative (or at least was in Monaco) so I'm going with the Iceman, street circuit but you can pass there although Lotus is not fast on straight, but still, from 2-5 starting position you can climb up.

Start will be interesting, especially if Ferraris are 5-8 or so, they have the best start system so they will charge up at the start.
Can you blame anyone when "checko" is behind them. Hindsight being 20/20, glad Alonso let the hot head pass. Kimi paid a big price for dueling it with Perez. I was also worried about Perez taking Alonso out.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:20 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Picking Alonso but could see MB have an advantage with its recent testing of Pirelli's on their current car. Also Hammy runs very well at Montreal.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:35 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Can you blame anyone when "checko" is behind them. Hindsight being 20/20, glad Alonso let the hot head pass. Kimi paid a big price for dueling it with Perez. I was also worried about Perez taking Alonso out.
Have to agree with Raj on this one. At the beginning, it appeared Alonso was being outclassed by a younger driver, but they don't pay points at the beginning of the race and at the end of the day, Alonso was the one that scored more points than Perez or Kimi, so yes, his experience did intercede in his decisions.

Alonso is also on record as saying that Ferrari was not going to do well this weekend. Note that Ferrari have not won at Monaco in 10 years since the glory days of Michael Schumacher. Their cars just don't do well at these types of tight street circuits.

Quick Reply: 2013 Grand Prix of Canada