Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COTA 2013 Videos and Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 01:15 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I think you guys in the U.S. have a fundamental flaw in your motorsport system. You have DEs and then Racing. There doesn't seem to be anything in-between. What much of the rest of the world has is club sprints where you compete against the clock and are in with people doing similar times to you. Therefore you have mostly single file 'racing' which is competitive and enjoyable without going to the next level of full door to door racing. You can dice with people to a degree and if necessary pass or be passed at nominated zones. It really is quite fulfilling enough for many non racers.

This would alleviate pretty much all of the perceived issues that can result from an overcrowded DE day with guys of varying experience, skills and car speed.

From what I see you only have the new-ish Time Attack format which is more aimed and patronised by the Jap car scene guys. Seems a no brainer that someone should check out what other countries do and take the idea to the PCA or your governing bodies to look at? It really does cater for the guys that are beyond just circulating in formation laps that overcrowded DE's create. Which in turn can result in a bit of impatience (which I'd feel too) that can create a bit of a storm in a teacup as seen in this thread.

Just one observer's opinion. ;-)
Old 05-26-2013, 01:22 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Here's a brief clip showing what I mean. It's from back in 2009 I think but demonstrates my point. The cars in front of me did a 1:05 and so did I even though I lost a bit of ground on them for lap or 2. This is part of a Competition that goes for the season held at a few different tracks. You run in speed groups on the track but your points collate in power to weight groups. So I could run against GT3s on the track but be graded against other 944 turbos back a class or two. It's generally good clean fun without the capitalisation and commitment needed for full door to door racing.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:59 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I think you guys in the U.S. have a fundamental flaw in your motorsport system. You have DEs and then Racing. There doesn't seem to be anything in-between. What much of the rest of the world has is club sprints where you compete against the clock and are in with people doing similar times to you. Therefore you have mostly single file 'racing' which is competitive and enjoyable without going to the next level of full door to door racing. You can dice with people to a degree and if necessary pass or be passed at nominated zones. It really is quite fulfilling enough for many non racers.

This would alleviate pretty much all of the perceived issues that can result from an overcrowded DE day with guys of varying experience, skills and car speed.

From what I see you only have the new-ish Time Attack format which is more aimed and patronised by the Jap car scene guys. Seems a no brainer that someone should check out what other countries do and take the idea to the PCA or your governing bodies to look at? It really does cater for the guys that are beyond just circulating in formation laps that overcrowded DE's create. Which in turn can result in a bit of impatience (which I'd feel too) that can create a bit of a storm in a teacup as seen in this thread.

Just one observer's opinion. ;-)
NASA has a fairly large Time Trial program which encompasses many makes all over the country. It is a good step between DE and racing.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:24 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I think you guys in the U.S. have a fundamental flaw in your motorsport system. You have DEs and then Racing. There doesn't seem to be anything in-between.
I think that Lemons racing is actually a good stepping stone. Highly restricted rules that penalize for any contact, spin, 4 off, etc. combined with low cost.

I did a NASA competition school early this year and it seemed like more than half of us had already done Lemons or Chumpcar.

Quick Reply: COTA 2013 Videos and Impressions