Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COTA 2013 Videos and Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 05:25 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't want to start another big argument, but this should never have happen. The event-chair should have better control of the on track actions. There should have been better flagging, the event-chair should have that also under control, a few black flags and having drivers set out a session will get people's attention.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:59 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

PCA DE event - oversubscribed, overattended, oversold - way too many unvetted cars/drivers on the track at the same time all at the fancy new track. DE as part of a CR weekend. New track notorious for not wanting DE or CR at their track (as per cancelling all their commitments that had yet to send in their checks, a la David Murry Track Days) and too many rules. PCA known for lots of rules.

No surprise whatsoever at anything seen in any of these videos. Not surprised at all of the things said in this thread.

Looking forward to an open track format event in a few years.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:01 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAPmobile
I don't want to start another big argument, but this should never have happen. The event-chair should have better control of the on track actions. There should have been better flagging, the event-chair should have that also under control, a few black flags and having drivers set out a session will get people's attention.
I don't think that is a fair characterization. The DE sessions were, by and large, the typical safe type one expects at a PCA event. There were some obvious rough edges, but these were clearly in the minority.

Also, I suspect that visibility of cars from flag stations was just as poor as the visibility of flag stations from the cars. The fence creates a continuous wall with flag station holes poking out of it. A worker in one of the long straight passing zone stations would have to observe a single car for quite a long time in order to be sure that a point by was *not* given for a pass. There were *a lot* of cars on the track at the same time and I don't think they would want to hand out black flags unless they were sure. Case in point the video where the black GT3 passed 3-4 cars without a point-by. From the flagger's perspective, it could have looked perfectly legit. Also, one has to take the poster's word that no point-bys were given, as the video resolution does not appear to be enough to tell.

That said, there really is no excuse for the lack of black flags for passing in the no passing zones - that's easy to see from a flag station.

I actually thought the flagging was pretty good. I got a very nicely timed passing flag when a Viper closed very quickly on my `220HP BMW on the back straight and I was able to let him get by without a hiccup or drama.

-Mike
Old 05-22-2013, 06:05 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jcs_911
Yes, send me a PM with your email address.
PM sent. Thank you!
Old 05-22-2013, 06:12 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerrygreene
took this footage of storm that blew through Friday night @ PCA COTA weekend, after reviewing it, was not going to use it, but for those who were not @ track Fri, this storm builds like this thread as if its a DE event.

COTA Rain - YouTube
We had just run over to our shop to pick up some parts for my buddies
wounded 951. We come out of the shop parts in hand -- and the sky was GREEN and wind was picking up.

We raced back to the track -- probably faster in my Cayenne than the 951 had run all weekend :-( Got there just as things were getting ugly.

When the full brunt of the storm hit, hail, lighting, and 70MPH winds,
I was stuck under the hood of that 951 frantically trying to put plugs and ref sensor in before we were swept away (or the engine was water logged).

The canopy collapsed and the hood came crashing down -- fortunately for
me I was so deep in the engine bay it just hit my shoulders. The better news
was that it stopped the hail from running down the back of my shirt!!!

Car started on first try -- driver made a mad dash for one of the pit garages
we were fortunate enough to borrow. (Great folks from KC!!)
You should have seen the rooster tails as he flew through the rivers that
were running through the paddock.

However, 3 hours later we suffered an ill fated cracked FI connector and had to call it a night.

One for the ages.....
Old 05-22-2013, 07:48 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by russo
I don't know how to interpret your statement. I am 50 years old and invest quite a bit of my time in physically taking care of myself, yes that means I lift weights and devote just as much time on my cardio conditioning. Yes, there is a direct correlation in being able to sustain and enjoy the vigor of 2-3 days of DE plus travel, plus the Texas heat. Please enlighten me on how to interpret your observation. We met in person at COTA and I don't believe you had any issues with me; In fact, from what I recall, you were full of compliments on my lap times, something I wasn't able to keep track of. And as you know, I was straight with you and disclosed that I was at this track at a prior event.
Bro, I don't have a dog in the fight either....., but I DO personally know Russel and have shared the track with him as well..... let it go.

You're reduced now to fumbling back 4 or 5 pages in trying to find something and someone else to have a beef with.

1) you went on a tirade about about another participant's driving that you got WRONG by misidentifying the car and driver.

2) You erroneously evaluated the stock/modified status of the driver's car you were arguing with.

3) you ignored already, obvious to rest of the forum, not so subtle hints to drop the issue.

And yet, you continue berating people, now someone new.

I've been around here for 13 years and have never seen anything like this.

Do us all a favor an take a Valium.

T
Old 05-22-2013, 08:05 PM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Dude.

You're not helping.

As I said, both these guys are really good guys. I really hope they can laugh at their own mistakes, shake hands, and have a beer together. They both made relatively small mistakes. I am sure most of us have made mistakes on track--I sure have. Let's leave it at that, OK?
Old 05-22-2013, 08:18 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

As entertaining as this is, I'd like to try to change the subject back to "impressions."

I'd like to know from the well traveled drivers who were there: How does COTA compare to the big historic circuits such as Watkins Glen and Road America? Yeah yeah I know the facility is beyond world class, but how does the track drive? Those multiple slow corners seem odd to me.

Does COTA have a "signature" corner that requires big commitment, such as the Esses at WG or the Kink at Road America?
Old 05-22-2013, 08:26 PM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Astroman
As entertaining as this is, I'd like to try to change the subject back to "impressions."

I'd like to know from the well traveled drivers who were there: How does COTA compare to the big historic circuits such as Watkins Glen and Road America? Yeah yeah I know the facility is beyond world class, but how does the track drive? Those multiple slow corners seem odd to me.

Does COTA have a "signature" corner that requires big commitment, such as the Esses at WG or the Kink at Road America?
IMO the 2 signature areas were the entry to the esses (turns 3 & 4), and the Carousel (16-17-18). I think T1 was sort of over-blown and over-played, but that is just my opinion.

I still prefer the Glen, even though COTA is 35 minutes from my house. But COTA is much more challenging than it looks, and really is a thinking track.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:47 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some might hate this, but i did not like the track and how it drove. its a great F1 track , long straights, big wide hard brake zones for the crowds in the grand stands to cheer, and a few fast turns.

i think the best track ive ever enjoyed is mosport, fast, nasty, dangerous. lime rock is hectic, a blender and fast. watkins has signature S's, etc. fast stuff, nasty stuff.

i just found cota a bit choppy. i thought the S's were like an autocross section, no really bite, just a sketchy balance section. the fast S's were pretty cool but to me, thats about it.

of course, its amazing to be driving next to grand stands, and track that has blue and red american striping, and premier seating and a scoring pole, etc.

but in terms of driving, to me, its probably even a smidge less fun than NJJMP thunderbolt , and ilike thunderbolt, i like the bridge turn, i like 1,2,3 but the octopus is annoying and slow.

i tihnk COTA was more about car setup and engineering than driving. tough track to setup with fast turns and really slow turns, needing downforce but also long straihgts.

fwiw, the short course they did with world challenge was so much more fun. the cutthrough was slick and fun, had a big dip that was sort of a jump of sorts, and the laps were 1:40ish instead of 2:14. you were hittin gthe fun triple apex turn and the section bfeore, and turn 1 far more often.

its like going to daytona or homestead. its a scene, its a destination. its world class, but its not that edgy.

there, i said, thats my opinion. id go back in a blink.you asked.

Originally Posted by Astroman

Old 05-22-2013, 09:23 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Bro, I don't have a dog in the fight either....., but I DO personally know Russel and have shared the track with him as well..... let it go.

You're reduced now to fumbling back 4 or 5 pages in trying to find something and someone else to have a beef with.

1) you went on a tirade about about another participant's driving that you got WRONG by misidentifying the car and driver.

2) You erroneously evaluated the stock/modified status of the driver's car you were arguing with.

3) you ignored already, obvious to rest of the forum, not so subtle hints to drop the issue.

And yet, you continue berating people, now someone new.

I've been around here for 13 years and have never seen anything like this.

Do us all a favor an take a Valium.

T
Dude, if you have no dog in this fight then why the Flick are you getting in the middle of it? Maybe you should take the Valium? Thank you for your insight.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:10 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by russo
I don't know how to interpret your statement. I am 50 years old and invest quite a bit of my time in physically taking care of myself, yes that means I lift weights and devote just as much time on my cardio conditioning. Yes, there is a direct correlation in being able to sustain and enjoy the vigor of 2-3 days of DE plus travel, plus the Texas heat. Please enlighten me on how to interpret your observation. We met in person at COTA and I don't believe you had any issues with me; In fact, from what I recall, you were full of compliments on my lap times, something I wasn't able to keep track of. And as you know, I was straight with you and disclosed that I was at this track at a prior event.
I had a lot of fun following you and have a lot of respect for your skill. My description was not a disparaging remark, but was a bit in fun. You are the most intense, focused, and aggressive person I have met at the track and in person. I have a lot of respect for that, so don't get me wrong. I tend to use colorful words to describe people of extreme character, so please don't take it the wrong way. I enjoyed seeing your family with you and working as a unit to make that weekend happen for you, and on many levels I'm jealous given that my family wanted nothing to do with me that weekend. I'm looking forward to see you at the next PCA event at TWS, and I hope we get a chance to work with each other.

Last edited by ShakeNBake; 05-22-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:46 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Dude.

You're not helping.
Thanks for the advice.

What I posted wasn't meant to help nor hinder.

It was merely a recap of what was already posted.

I posted in every other COTA thread and just happened into this one when the title caught my eye.

I'm wise enough to be reasonable and read the entire thread since post 1 but I just couldn't take it anymore....

I know these past day's current events would hint otherwise but I think I still have a right to free speech...at least...., I haven't applied for a 501 3(c)....

T
Old 05-22-2013, 10:58 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I had a lot of fun following you and have a lot of respect for your skill. My description was not a disparaging remark, but was a bit in fun. You are the most intense, focused, and aggressive person I have met at the track and in person. I have a lot of respect for that, so don't get me wrong. I tend to use colorful words to describe people of extreme character, so please don't take it the wrong way. I enjoyed seeing your family with you and working as a unit to make that weekend happen for you, and on many levels I'm jealous given that my family wanted nothing to do with me that weekend. I'm looking forward to see you at the next PCA event at TWS, and I hope we get a chance to work with each other.
And furthermore in the spirit of camaraderie, here is a nice video of you pwning two PCA national advanced instructors and racers, both driving more capable cars (3.8RS and 4.0RS). Everything looks clean to me. You gave lots of room, and in fact it was me who probably should have let you pass earlier.

Now don't get any ideas...I can still show you how to shave a few seconds at TWS
Old 05-22-2013, 11:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Now don't get any ideas...I can still show you how to shave a few seconds at TWS
...by following me

Quick Reply: COTA 2013 Videos and Impressions