Sponsored by:

COTA 2013 Videos and Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 11:03 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by russo
Dude, if you have no dog in this fight then why the Flick are you getting in the middle of it?
Because I am a sovereign human being and this is a public internet forum...?

Maybe you should take the Valium?
I'm on a court ordered dosage of 20mg per day, a component of the bargain my lawyer made....

Thank you for your insight.
You're welcome.

I don't know you....think I know who you are....I was very near where you were tented (if I am correct) and was very sad for you that your tent scraped your car as a result of the storm as soon as I was 100o/o sure that our cars weren't damaged or did any damage to anyone else' property.

I just happen to know Russel and he's a stand up guy and I think you treated him unfairly (especially the language you used).

In following with Dave's suggestion above, I'd hope you two could become friends and put this behind....heck, I'd buy the beer but I won't be at TWS this go 'round.

T
Old 05-23-2013, 10:35 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm still for the UFC caged match, but that's just me. We can have the beer later.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:48 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Old 05-23-2013, 11:48 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
IMO the 2 signature areas were the entry to the esses (turns 3 & 4), and the Carousel (16-17-18). I think T1 was sort of over-blown and over-played, but that is just my opinion.

I still prefer the Glen, even though COTA is 35 minutes from my house. But COTA is much more challenging than it looks, and really is a thinking track.
Yeah, T1 really is a big nothingburger. I agree on the esses and the Carousel, but I think the sequence is 13-14-15-16-17-18. Perhaps I just like the 13-15 entry and I don't have experience at a lot of tracks. So perhaps fun, but not signature.

I do think T1 makes a really good distinctive landmark plus it's good for spectatorship. I liked watching cars on it better than actually driving on it.

-Mike
Old 05-23-2013, 12:22 PM
Misdirection
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Setting aside all the various "dialog" and "impressions" we've been sharing, does anyone realistically think there's a chance we'll be invited back for a future CR or DE? I haven't really heard much about COTA's impressions of the event.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:37 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by TrickyPorpoise
Setting aside all the various "dialog" and "impressions" we've been sharing, does anyone realistically think there's a chance we'll be invited back for a future CR or DE? I haven't really heard much about COTA's impressions of the event.
I do. Frankly, it doesn't make much sense for the facility to sit empty most of the year. I heard rumblings on the paddock that COTA was fine with PCA and it's not like we trashed the place.

It may take a few years for it to happen, but I have a harder time believing that it won't than it will.

-Mike
Old 05-23-2013, 01:19 PM
Vampire
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
As entertaining as this is, I'd like to try to change the subject back to "impressions."

I'd like to know from the well traveled drivers who were there: How does COTA compare to the big historic circuits such as Watkins Glen and Road America? Yeah yeah I know the facility is beyond world class, but how does the track drive? Those multiple slow corners seem odd to me.

Does COTA have a "signature" corner that requires big commitment, such as the Esses at WG or the Kink at Road America?
I enjoyed COTA. I thought it had a slightly longer learning curve due to 20 turns, long lap times, short sessions, and a rained out Friday session. I did not run on Thursday.

There were also different lines to run that would vary depending on your goal of defending, passing, or lap time. Also thrown into the mix was a lot of traffic and wide corners. You could go into T1 5 wide, but had to come out 2 or 3 wide.

There were 5th to 2nd gear shifts in a Carrera like yours. You could have speeds like Road America, but a much slower corner at the end of it.

Another impression was the lack of real grass. They did have some astroturf for you Astroman! The rumble strips were smoother than Road America's.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:50 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
And furthermore in the spirit of camaraderie, here is a nice video of you pwning two PCA national advanced instructors and racers, both driving more capable cars (3.8RS and 4.0RS). Everything looks clean to me. You gave lots of room, and in fact it was me who probably should have let you pass earlier.

Now don't get any ideas...I can still show you how to shave a few seconds at TWS
I appreciate your thoughts and video very much; especially, given the fact that I have had to vociferously defend myself against unsafe and reckless accusations. Add to this, an atmosphere of piling on of others opinions, that have absolutely no knowledge of the circumstances of the event, and I am suddenly having to defend myself, not only, against the original accusation, but those of his buddies. I, like yourself, the accuser, and many others, am also a so called National PCA certified instructor. I take pride in the fact that I am a safe and considerate driver. From the very beginning, I admitted my mistake of executing a pass in a non passing zone. I don't recall the circumstances of why, the video proves without a doubt my culpability; however, what I cannot, and will not, tolerate is for someone to make false accusations in an attempt to smear my reputation. In addition, I have not, and will not blame anyone else for my error, mia culpa. I know the organizers did the best they could, given what they had to work with. Yes, I am an intense individual, but only because I take what we do very seriously, after all we are playing with dangerous toys. I know that you, I, and the 4.0 driver drove quite a few sessions together without any incidents. Believe me, I know that I and the 4.0 driver had some really intense on track moments; hence, my error in thinking that the accuser was the 4.0, not Russell, and an immediate apology of my mis-identification of the cars. Both cars have the same profile when seen from my rear view mirror. Did you or your buddy in the 4.0, witness the same unsafe and reckless behavior that, miraculously, only Russell observed over and above what was offered in the video? Similarly, if Russell had kept on point on my illegal pass we would have gotten over this a long time ago. No, instead he keeps on going by throwing out more accusations, followed by even more accusations, so all of a sudden I look like I am public enemy number one. So, I guess I should be a good little boy and take his criticism and accusations without even a rebuttal? A rebuttal on a personal level was dished out because to begin with he made it personal. Interesting point, I passed many cars on this weekend. I did not hear of any complaints, even by the driver I passed illegally, or by anyone else, including the organizers. The same fellow, accuser, stated he tried to introduce himself to me prior to the referenced incident but I some how blew him off and that left him with a negative impression, a possible root cause of all of this.
I hope your going to be at TWS for the PCA event because I will hold you to showing me how to cut my lap times. No, don't misunderstand, I am not challenging you, I am genuinely interested in improving my time and I will be the first to admit to being selfish and wanting to absorb knowledge that I don't have. I do this because I love it, I have nothing to prove to myself or anyone else. To me, DE is a discipline of self discovery, encompassing disappointments; when I have a difficult time in learning a track, interspersed with great rewards; as is, in the case I finally begin to understand a track and start to see the gradual improvements I make, measured by lap times, not by the amount of passes that are executed.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:20 AM
Misdirection
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
I do. Frankly, it doesn't make much sense for the facility to sit empty most of the year.
-Mike
Purely hearsay, but I recall hearing about their not having much trouble filling the calendar for a year with testing, private track days, racing, concerts, etc. etc. Would welcome some better info.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:43 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
...by following me
If that's the way you want to teach, you need to start looking more like your avatar.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:40 AM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
If that's the way you want to teach, you need to start looking more like your avatar.
lolocopter
Old 05-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

beefy curbs
Attached Images   
Old 05-25-2013, 10:58 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
As entertaining as this is, I'd like to try to change the subject back to "impressions."

I'd like to know from the well traveled drivers who were there: How does COTA compare to the big historic circuits such as Watkins Glen and Road America? Yeah yeah I know the facility is beyond world class, but how does the track drive? Those multiple slow corners seem odd to me.

Does COTA have a "signature" corner that requires big commitment, such as the Esses at WG or the Kink at Road America?
Jack-

I really like the track and find that it's pretty easy to learn but not so easy to find the last 2-3 seconds. So many slow corners and very technical that I think it will probably take at least one (maybe two) more weekend to get the car fully dialed in to get off some of the slower corners.

I think turn 1 is great. Turn 2 definitely still holds some time for me. The esses aren't that difficult but 6 and 8 are pretty challenging as is the exit of 8 and the entrance to 9. I've posted here that I thought I was pretty bad in 11 and that's not a corner you want to be bad in. All that said, I think, for me, the time to find is still in 13-18. Very technical and you must be very precise.

The facility is obviously the best available in North America.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:13 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Here's what the curbing looked like from in-car on the V8SC weekend:

There was no straightening out the esses like during the Rolex races!

-mike
Old 05-26-2013, 12:13 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
Here's what the curbing looked like from in-car on the V8SC weekend:

A few laps on COTA's short track in the WCGT Audi R8 LMS - YouTube

There was no straightening out the esses like during the Rolex races!

-mike
Wow, really expected to see some straighter lines in 3-4-5. Seemed to make it harder than it needs to be. Those lines seemed to collect a lot of 911s in the wall.

Quick Reply: COTA 2013 Videos and Impressions