Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 05:09 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
WOW!!!! that was awesome...

As a Ferrari fan, I'm not too happy about the mechanical/tire issues both cars had, especially since Alonso only finished 37.5 seconds behind Vettel with an extra pitstop on back to back laps and no use of the DRS. I truly believe he is the only one that could have challenged Vettel for the race win.

Drive of the race goes to Kimi, no question. Starts 8th and comes home 2nd with only 9 second gap to Vettel and sits only 10 points behind Vettel in the championship points after 4 races. If Vettel has any DNFs look out, the Ice Man could steal the WDC. Numbers: Kimi has now finished 21 STRAIGHT F1 GPs! unbelievable

Although I'm not a fan of McLaren, I do respect their "no team orders" and let their drivers race.... Perez vs. Button was fun to watch. Kudos to Perez for a spirited race.

Vettel is a racer and proved it yet again today. He looks like a genius now for overtaking Webber because if had hadn't, Kimi would only be 3 points behind him. Numbers: Vettel 77 points, Webber 32. Even if Vettel had held station in Malaysia, it would be Vettel 70 points, Webber 39. Webber is lucky to be in the Red Bull chassis and should accept that he is barely qualified to be a #2 to Vettel. Accept your roll or leave as he is certainly the modern day Coulthard with his ability to hit other drivers race after race.

Thumbs up to RBR for putting a woman on the podium to accept the constructors trophy... the first time a woman has been on podium in F1 for 27 years and to do it in a country where they treat woman as 2nd class citizens is nothing short of fantastic.

Finally, kudos to NBCSN for their coverage of F1 so far this year. The pre-race show with American Alexander Rossi and the US Navy in Bahrain was terrific and their post race show is WAY BETTER than the SPEED TV coverage. The side by side coverage or Picture in Pictures is great!

The European leg of the season should be great with the anticipated upgrades to everyone up and down the paddock.
Good post Pete, one correction though: Kimi has finished 32 straight F1 races (4 this season, 20 last and last 8 of the 2009.
Record holder is Nick Heidfeld with 33.

Good race with a lot of wheel to wheel battles!

I also like the NBC stuff but they desperately need an insider who has current F1 experience...
All Hobbs and Matchett talk about is tires because they have nothing else to talk about especially, snce they're not at the races.

Now another 3 week break before the European season, too long...
Old 04-21-2013, 06:41 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

NEWSFLASH

LAP 37 IN LONG BEACH AND TAKUMA SATO IS LEADING THE RACE!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2013, 06:50 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Fantastic race, and with added real RACING this time.

Couldn't be happier to see Vettel on the top step and Kimi in P2. Alonso's T1 gift from Rosberg was short lived, Vettel's counterattack was brilliant. Webber is looking more desperate with each race, can't imagine he'll be at at top F1 team next year. Would have loved to see Di Resta on the podium.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:23 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

13 Laps to go and SATO is still leading!!!!
Old 04-21-2013, 07:45 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by agdamis
Bahrain went from promising to a disaster for Ferrari
+1.
It could have been worse though. Atleast Alonso scored a few points. As we have seen in the past, 1 point can decide the championship. They have had unbelievable reliability for a long time. It had to catch up at some point. I rather it happen earlier in the year.

Once again Massa proved, he does not belong in that race seat. Very nice guy but always goes backwards. He should never try to roll the dice, as he doesn't seem to have the ability to make it work.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:48 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

GO Kimi ! Gotta love Kimi.

And there was real racing. Hey Perez was keeping it interesting - even for Button.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:27 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
+1.
It could have been worse though. Atleast Alonso scored a few points. As we have seen in the past, 1 point can decide the championship. They have had unbelievable reliability for a long time. It had to catch up at some point. I rather it happen earlier in the year.

Once again Massa proved, he does not belong in that race seat. Very nice guy but always goes backwards. He should never try to roll the dice, as he doesn't seem to have the ability to make it work.
Massa had two right rear tires go down in one race -- extremely rare, in fact I've never seen one guy have two in one race. That is not his fault, how do you fault him for going backwards after that?
Old 04-21-2013, 08:37 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

Sato wins!!

Maybe he'll come back to F1 so we can really vote for him.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:28 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
Massa had two right rear tires go down in one race -- extremely rare, in fact I've never seen one guy have two in one race. That is not his fault, how do you fault him for going backwards after that?
It's not just this race. This is often the case with Massa. He qualifies better than he finishes. Not exactly the way you become a champion.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:28 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
WOW!!!! that was awesome...
Vettel is a racer and proved it yet again today. He looks like a genius now for overtaking Webber

Thumbs up to RBR for putting a woman on the podium to accept the constructors trophy... the first time a woman has been on podium in F1 for 27 years and to do it in a country where they treat woman as 2nd class citizens is nothing short of fantastic.
I always felt Vettel did the right thing in winning that race. Could and he did.

The woman on the podium and in Bahrain was not a coincidence. Europe in general, and England in particular are evolved countries and there is little doubt that they wanted to make a statement. Vettel put the exclamation mark it with his comment on the podium. Good on em.

The racing was terrific. Nice to see a race where tires played a normal roll in the outcome. Nothing like the 1st two races. Perez seemed to wake up this weekend. He was racing anyone and everyone. Took Button then dispatched DV and put a gap between them.

Who is this Romain Grosean? Isn't he that guy that always crashes and goes backward during the race. Good for him. I guess he likes Bahrain.

I see a real dogfight coming between Vettel, Kimi and Alonso for the WDC. This is going to be fun.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:30 PM
teamking
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, the Button/Perez fight got me wondering. In this day of team orders, why don't the teams mandate that when their two drivers find each other on the track, that they HELP each other, rather than attack each other? As many pointed out, the constructor's finishing order is worth big money.

I'm thinking that two cars, each leading until the next DRS zone, and then allowing the other to pass under DRS, would be quite a bit faster and preserve the tires, and potentially be able to catch leading cars over a number of laps of cooperation and put the teams' cars in better position to score more points.

Now, I'm not saying this would be better for the entertainment value or racing purity or anything like that. I'm just saying that it would seem to be a strategy that would work, and I'm surprised no one has tried it.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:35 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Apology NOT accepted...

http://www.f1news.com/largePhoto.asp?p1=April2013/32104
Old 04-21-2013, 11:19 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Pretty good race, with aggressive fights for position right up to the end.
However, I've lost all respect for Nico now; that kind of blocking has no place and shouldn't be tolerated.
I'd so much rather see penalties for that crap, rather than when there's an incident.
When there is an incident, the outcome is usually its own penalty (like a dnf or wing damage).
But if there's no contact then it's tolerated?
Even Weber was pretty borderline.
Get that stuff out of there.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:31 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
However, I've lost all respect for Nico now; that kind of blocking has no place and shouldn't be tolerated.
I'd so much rather see penalties for that crap, rather than when there's an incident.
When there is an incident, the outcome is usually its own penalty (like a dnf or wing damage).
But if there's no contact then it's tolerated?
Even Weber was pretty borderline.
Get that stuff out of there.
Totally agree. I will never get how "one move" can including going to the inside, then back outside before the corner.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:57 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,256 Likes on 1,922 Posts

Originally Posted by teamking
So, the Button/Perez fight got me wondering. In this day of team orders, why don't the teams mandate that when their two drivers find each other on the track, that they HELP each other, rather than attack each other? As many pointed out, the constructor's finishing order is worth big money.

I'm thinking that two cars, each leading until the next DRS zone, and then allowing the other to pass under DRS, would be quite a bit faster and preserve the tires, and potentially be able to catch leading cars over a number of laps of cooperation and put the teams' cars in better position to score more points.

Now, I'm not saying this would be better for the entertainment value or racing purity or anything like that. I'm just saying that it would seem to be a strategy that would work, and I'm surprised no one has tried it.
IIRC, that is exactly what Rosberg and Hamilton did in the first race this season, basically giving each other tows down the straights and raising their straight line speeds and lowering their lap times. It's done all the time in karting and those two used to kart together when they were younger.

Button admitted today that trying to defende against Perez made his use up his tires and had to make a pit stop that was not on schedule (He also had 4 pit stops), thus his 10th place finish.

Frank, when I was watching the race and how Rosberg went too far from defending to blocking, I immediately thought about you.

Quick Reply: 2013 Grand Prix of Bahrain