2.04%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

2013 Grand Prix of Bahrain

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 10:41 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 952 Posts

Maybe this explains Kimi's zoned-out, puffy look on the podium. Regardless, another solid drive from the Finn.

http://www.motorsport.com/#!/f1/news...en-in-bahrain/
Old 04-22-2013, 01:17 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It was a fun race. My favorite part was Sergio Perez breathing down the neck of Jensen Button, and Button telling his engineer, to "Calm him down" IMHO, Button needed to either STFU, get out of the way or speed up McLaren was smart and pulled him into the pits
Old 04-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was not impressed with Perez nearly cutting Button's tire (or worse). How many times do these ego-maniacs need to be reminded that F1 is a team sport?

Also not impressed with the blatant blocking from Rosberg or Perez. They should be embarrassed.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:35 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by morganabowen
It was a fun race. My favorite part was Sergio Perez breathing down the neck of Jensen Button, and Button telling his engineer, to "Calm him down" IMHO, Button needed to either STFU, get out of the way or speed up McLaren was smart and pulled him into the pits
"Jensen, Sergio is faser than you ... Sergio is faster than you ... do you understand? "

Why does that sound familiar? No wait, don't tell me....
Old 04-22-2013, 01:53 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,256 Likes on 1,922 Posts

McLaren was smart and pulled him into the pits
Not exactly, that was an unscheduled pit stop as Button had used up his tires in the fight with Perez and Grojean earlier.

"McLaren's Jenson Button hit out at team-mate, Sergio Perez on Sunday following the 2013 F1 Bahrain Grand Prix.

Button eventually finished in tenth place after rear tyre degradation forced him to switch to a four-stop strategy late on.

However his main beef, at least immediately after the race, was with Perez - and their skirmishes on track, certainly didn't amuse the Englishman, who at one point told the McLaren pit wall over the radio to 'calm him down'

Although Perez comes out smelling like roses this morning, if he had taken one of both cars out in the contact, he could easily been refreshing his resume today.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:26 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Now that I think about it, I've never seen Button defend/fight someone so hard as he did his teammate yesterday. Even Hamilton as a teammate or Hamilton with MB, any of the Ferrari's, Red Bulls, Lotus etc.

The interteam rivalries are very interesting this year, indeed.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:07 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Default In case anyone was wondering who was on the podium...

Gill Jones (GBR) Red Bull Racing Head of Track Side Electronics, collected the constructors trophy.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:10 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Pete
IIRC, that is exactly what Rosberg and Hamilton did in the first race this season, basically giving each other tows down the straights and raising their straight line speeds and lowering their lap times. It's done all the time in karting and those two used to kart together when they were younger.

Button admitted today that trying to defende against Perez made his use up his tires and had to make a pit stop that was not on schedule (He also had 4 pit stops), thus his 10th place finish.

Frank, when I was watching the race and how Rosberg went too far from defending to blocking, I immediately thought about you.
Pete,
Ask any 8 year old in karts what the rule is and I am sure you will get the answer:
You can zig, but you can't zag.

That was blocking, although I understand why the stewards let it go.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:15 PM
Adam@Autometrics
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless I'm mistaken, I saw legit racing in Bahrain. Can we run medium/hard (IIRC) tires for the rest of the season?
Old 04-23-2013, 12:54 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

IN hindsight, I remember Rosberg pulling one of those blocks on Alonso last year, too.
Took him off the pavement.
Bush league.
As far as zig and zag, yeah; that's the rule, but I'd like to see it say that you can wander to half track off the ideal line, after that it's a block. There is simply no other reason to pull a move like that.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:20 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Pete,
Ask any 8 year old in karts what the rule is and I am sure you will get the answer:
You can zig, but you can't zag.

That was blocking, although I understand why the stewards let it go.
In F1 You CAN zag, as long as you leave room for a car between your car & track.
I didn't personally like Nico's driving in Bahrain much either (IMO it wasn't blatant but a bit too much) but that's the rule.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:48 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My prediction is that a bad crash will result from one of these moves and that's when they'll revisit the rule as it's written.
I kind of like my 1/2 track idea, though.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:35 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rosberg did the exact same thing last year at the exact same track and same straight as last year to Hamilton and Alonso. Alonso lifted and Hamilton didn't. Afterwards the stewards did not penalize Nico probably for the same reasons Finn mentioned.

That being said, in studying what Rosberg did, he absolutely does move over after his initial move to go to the preferred racing line -- he doesn't get all the way over, but enough to get a good radius on the next corner which allows him to not only block a 2nd time but also not get swallowed up coming out of the next corner.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:48 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Not exactly, that was an unscheduled pit stop as Button had used up his tires in the fight with Perez and Grojean earlier.

"McLaren's Jenson Button hit out at team-mate, Sergio Perez on Sunday following the 2013 F1 Bahrain Grand Prix.

Button eventually finished in tenth place after rear tyre degradation forced him to switch to a four-stop strategy late on.

However his main beef, at least immediately after the race, was with Perez - and their skirmishes on track, certainly didn't amuse the Englishman, who at one point told the McLaren pit wall over the radio to 'calm him down'

Although Perez comes out smelling like roses this morning, if he had taken one of both cars out in the contact, he could easily been refreshing his resume today.

The difference between a HERO and a VILLAIN
Old 04-23-2013, 03:36 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,848 Likes on 1,760 Posts

The difference between a HERO and a VILLAIN
Rule No. 1 - don't take out your teammate

It was exciting to see but immature on Perez's part. Button driving Perez off the track was not exactly a correct response.

Lots of crazy blocking in this race.

This is shaping up to be the most exciting F1 season in a long time. All we need is a good old fashioned fist fight in the paddock and NASCAR will try to acquire the rights to F1!

I almost didn't recognize Kimi - he looked bloated! I think they pumped him full of steroids of something for his allergies.

Quick Reply: 2013 Grand Prix of Bahrain