Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy a 996 Cup Car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 11:14 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts
Default Buy a 996 Cup Car?

I've been doing DEs (around 60 track days) with street cars (997 and Cayman), and recently stumbled across the opportunity to get a lightly used '05 996 cup car for about $54K. Seems like a good deal, so I'm toying with the idea of getting it for use at DEs and eventually club racing. I'd appreciate input on whether it's really a good deal, what it's like to drive compared to say a 996/7 GT3, maintenance needs and costs, etc.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:31 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Unless your local DE track is COTA and you run with a very fast group, it will be a waste for a de. TT or open track day with race cars maybe. $54k is cheap entry but the running costs can go astronomic in a blink. Tires and fuel alone will quadruple your running costs. Mechanicals $ are huge and a high time motor/box has a balloon payment on it.

That said the are a wild ride, nothing like it. you will have to sharpen your skills or risk being "that guy" with your first cold slick spin...and you WILL spin...
Old 04-03-2013, 11:50 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 914 Posts

You need to find out hours on motor and tranny plus history on car. It's better if it's been run regularly and maintained by a qualified shop than stored or not maintained. Little stuff can add up fast on cars that aren't properly maintained. Get a qualified shop that runs Cups and you trust to inspect. Post more info and maybe others can help with history.

Assuming all checks out then jump on it. '04/'05 are the most desirable 996 Cups and it'll be way more fun at open track days and some of the bigger, faster DE events, not to mention if you ever decide to try racing.

It'll cost little more to run and maintain a 996 Cup than your 997 street car assuming both are run the same way with like tires plus it'll be faster and safer.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:51 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you haven't driven your street car on slicks yet (and I mean true slicks not r-comps), you might want to give that a try for a while first.

and yes running costs skyrocket even with (especially with?) a "cheap" Cup car.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:03 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

Never owned a Cup (driven a couple) but have contemplated it on several occasions. To date I have talked myself of been talked out of it. My buddy bought a car for similar money to the one you are looking at but, by my math, he's put at least another $15-20k into it getting it re-sorted. On top of that, several grand a weekend to run it. You really need someone who knows what they are doing to get them set up. As Jim said, for DE they are way too much car and you'll likely be frustrated by your inability to get ever get a clean lap. That said, they are phenomenal cars. Just make sure you are really committed to what it takes to run one. The purchase is just the beginning.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:38 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
You need to find out hours on motor and tranny plus history on car. It's better if it's been run regularly and maintained by a qualified shop than stored or not maintained. Little stuff can add up fast on cars that aren't properly maintained. Get a qualified shop that runs Cups and you trust to inspect. Post more info and maybe others can help with history.

Assuming all checks out then jump on it. '04/'05 are the most desirable 996 Cups and it'll be way more fun at open track days and some of the bigger, faster DE events, not to mention if you ever decide to try racing.

It'll cost little more to run and maintain a 996 Cup than your 997 street car assuming both are run the same way with like tires plus it'll be faster and safer.
This car has 50-55 hours on it, has been thoroughly inspected by the shop, and the $54K price is fully sorted and set up by the shop. I trust the shop because I have a great relationship with them, have given them a lot of business, they routinely work on Porsche race cars, and the owner has become a friend.

I'm confused about the operating cost. You're saying it won't be much more than my 997 street car (run same way with like tires), but others seem to be saying the opposite?
Old 04-04-2013, 08:30 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

IMO operating costs will depend on how you drive (I.E., are you very smooth shifting & do perfectly matched heel/toe downshifts...which is harder than in your 997 street car due to hair trigger tthrottle response & way-different clutch & flywheel)...do you bang off the limiter, etc) as well as whether you run on true slicks or R comps.

Car will be uber kill for a DE, and generally will be very frustrating in typical DE traffic waiting for a point by.

All that said, to me the 996 Cup is a supremely rewarding and involving car to drive fast & well!
Old 04-04-2013, 08:39 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Not true of all DEs. I started doing DEs with Potomac back in 00 and I had to go elsewhere before I found out it wasn't normal to have a dozen cup cars, three or four RSRs and a 962 at your DE.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:44 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

Just because a bunch show up doesn't mean any of them are being driven to their potential.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:14 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
This car has 50-55 hours on it, has been thoroughly inspected by the shop, and the $54K price is fully sorted and set up by the shop. I trust the shop because I have a great relationship with them, have given them a lot of business, they routinely work on Porsche race cars, and the owner has become a friend.

I'm confused about the operating cost. You're saying it won't be much more than my 997 street car (run same way with like tires), but others seem to be saying the opposite?
Hours are on the high side but appear reflected in the price if all else is strong.

On costs, a 996 Cup is basically a gutted 996 street car without variocam and with a cage, stiffer shocks, and fire suppression. Porsche doesn't install a bunch of more fragile, shorter service life parts in the cars when they build them. This idea that you can run a street car like you run a race car while getting away without race-car service intervals and maintenance, and vice versa, is a fallacy. The hardcore FL DE crew are investing just as much in service and prep as I did with my 996 Cup. It all depends on how you drive it.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:49 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Just because a bunch show up doesn't mean any of them are being driven to their potential.
THIS.

I remain opposed to the thought of moving from virtually anything in a DE environment, even with the thought of racing (perhaps certainly so), into a Cup.

From a driver development standpoint my observation is that several steps should be taken before entrance into the Cups - unless the driver is hell bent on spending money to go "quickly" without the effort and training one needs to truly learn the craft.

But he won't be "driving" the Cup anywhere near its potential.

As a step up from a 997, for a guy with some 60 DE days in the tank, I like the thought of something like 993PET's RSA race car. Ready to go train in, ready to race and for the same money I'd bet he would toss in his trailer.

DE this car and when you're passing the GT3s - it's time to go race!
Old 04-04-2013, 10:11 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KaiB
THIS.

I remain opposed to the thought of moving from virtually anything in a DE environment, even with the thought of racing (perhaps certainly so), into a Cup.

From a driver development standpoint my observation is that several steps should be taken before entrance into the Cups - unless the driver is hell bent on spending money to go "quickly" without the effort and training one needs to truly learn the craft.

But he won't be "driving" the Cup anywhere near its potential.

As a step up from a 997, for a guy with some 60 DE days in the tank, I like the thought of something like 993PET's RSA race car. Ready to go train in, ready to race and for the same money I'd bet he would toss in his trailer.

DE this car and when you're passing the GT3s - it's time to go race!
This is a major part of my hesitation. My thought was to take several steps before getting to a cup car, and the 996 cup only got on my radar when I got a call from the shop a few days ago. OTOH, the challenge of learning to drive it well does have some appeal.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:13 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Manifold;10358147]This car has 50-55 hours on it, has been thoroughly inspected by the shop, and the $54K price is fully sorted and set up by the shop. I trust the shop because I have a great relationship with them, have given them a lot of business, they routinely work on Porsche race cars, and the owner has become a friend.

I'm confused about the operating cost. You're saying it won't be much more than my 997 street car (run same way with like tires), but others seem to be saying the opposite?[/QUOTE

It will be significantly more that a street car on R comp tire if you run Michelin slicks. Beside the tire costs, 2300 a set that last maybe 14-16 heat cycles in a De, the suspension will need need to be refreshed more often due to the increased forces the slicks apply. For me at De and Race and for the way I drive, maybe 50hrs on bearing, axles, shocks, and some controll arms. I don't wait for things to break at the track. For instance my PM last winter was 12k for the above. So for my 35-40hrs of driving a year that's 4-5 sets of tires + 6-12k winter preventive maintainence, not including engine and trans every 4 years or so, occasional paint, splitters, bumpers, and other consumables. Front rotors are 600 a set or two a year with Fr pads 400 several times a year. I'm sure you getting a better picture.

It is an amazing car not nearly as hard to drive as people will tell you. IMO,But Ive been racing and driving 20 years. You will need to pick you events more carfully. You can"t go to the standard de like the zone 1 at the glen because they are lapping at 2:10(at best)-2:40's and a 6cup has the potential of a 1:56-1:58 and you will be asleep at a 2:10 pace.

It is a completely different animal than a street car. Hope this helps
Bob

Last edited by fstockcarrera; 04-04-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:20 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I don't know what your financial situation is, but there is a lot to be said for driving something that won't break the bank if you ball it up. Driving becomes more fun.

An E Stock car, Spec Box, Spec Miata, Spec 996 (on the high side of costs) are all nice choices when moving to a dedicated track car. I love my 996, and yes it's incrementally more fun to drive in a DE than the SM. But the SM is a blast too, and actually more fun to race. SpecBox is a very nice middle ground.

I'm not a fan of driving a Cup in a DE for all the reasons mentioned by other posters.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:33 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Still think a 996 Cup remains a good option for a relatively purpose-built race car to enhance driver development as well as substantially more user-friendly than a 997 Cup. Go for it!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: Buy a 996 Cup Car?