Sponsored by:

RA - Gt group, another first lap wreck

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 02:28 PM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks, Peter for your insights. Always enjoy your analysis.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:40 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
..... Very disappointing, but no asshattery (except for the assault afterwards) ...
Assault? Please tell me this didn't happen. Gentlemen racing????
Was the perp named Busch?
Old 03-24-2013, 02:50 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Assault? Please tell me this didn't happen. Gentlemen racing????
Was the perp named Busch?
Apparently both drivers in the vid were given 13s. You figure it out from there.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:55 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Apparently both drivers in the vid were given 13s. You figure it out from there.
I see. Not cool.
I lost my car last year because of someone's poor maintenance when their main oil line disconnected from a fresh engine. While I was very pissed and upset, the last thing I would've done is physically attack the person.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:28 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know race admins feel the need to distribute 13s on contact. I have lots of respect for the 69 car, but obviously whether its from damp conditions, tire temps, broken suspension etc..whatever, he for sure initiated contact.
but how did the car to the inside get a 13.?
can we ask that the video of the prevoius 10, 15 seconds be posted? i read up here about guys charging to the front just before the green, etc.
i just have no idea how or why the guy on the inside got a 13. you can not be any more of an innocent bystander unless he did something just before the turn on to the straight. if they were all nicely behaved into that turn, and what you see is what occurred with no other stories, i'd be fuming if i were the inside guy. first, a trashed car. but then to be given a 13 for simply being collected at the start? insane.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:44 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZSA Motorsport
i know race admins feel the need to distribute 13s on contact. I have lots of respect for the 69 car, but obviously whether its from damp conditions, tire temps, broken suspension etc..whatever, he for sure initiated contact.
but how did the car to the inside get a 13.?
can we ask that the video of the prevoius 10, 15 seconds be posted? i read up here about guys charging to the front just before the green, etc.
i just have no idea how or why the guy on the inside got a 13. you can not be any more of an innocent bystander unless he did something just before the turn on to the straight. if they were all nicely behaved into that turn, and what you see is what occurred with no other stories, i'd be fuming if i were the inside guy. first, a trashed car. but then to be given a 13 for simply being collected at the start? insane.
+1, very well stated.....
Old 03-24-2013, 04:23 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I see the 69 car hard on the throttle while the car is still loaded on the LH side, the tires are very cold and the track damp. Caution should have prevailed here and I'm reluctant to call this an unfortunate incident as it was easily preventable.

I probably would have slapped the driver also - most certainly should certain words have been said, as they are rumored to have been.

Out.

Last edited by KaiB; 03-24-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Kai, I know for a fact that a) it's easy to critique/judge/assign blame from far away and from the pit wall and b) the accuracy of rumors never begins very well and goes down with every retelling and c) PCA Club Racing driver behavior is NOT supposed to mimic Friday night circle track antics. I can tell you that I had four cameras running in one of the cars and the behavior of one of the drivers is unacceptable, even for pro racing. Per previous Rennlist threads, I will not be posting or sharing any of these.

With challenging weather conditions and between fifteen and twenty percent of the cars suffering damage this past weekend, several in the same way as the 69 car yet without penalty, the message is not getting through. I appreciate the actions of the stewards and David Murry's valuable advice at the drivers meeting called afterwards, but for whatever reason, people are not driving smart not leaving enough margin to insure damage free racing...

Instead of assigning the judgement of asshattery from afar, I urge you to extend good old Christian charity to those folks who suffered plenty on their own, not the least of which, their pocketbooks. It could have been any of us, perhaps you?
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-24-2013, 06:55 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

I have pushed for multiple (and faster!) warmup laps for the cups for a long time, and occasionally (Lime Rock) gotten them. These cars have hair trigger actions and it's easy for them to snap like that.

If I keep missing races, I may be the last GTA2 car standing.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:01 PM
KaiB
Banned

Peter, I accept your rebuke absolutely and would like to retract my statement about whatever altercations occured after the incident.

I cannot however mitigate my feelings about some drivers in very powerful cars making absolutely preventable errors in a Club Racing environment.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:07 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by KaiB
Peter, I accept your rebuke absolutely and would like to retract my statement about whatever altercations occured after the incident.

I cannot however mitigate my feelings about some drivers in very powerful cars making absolutely preventable errors in a Club Racing environment.
Thank you, Kai.

I agree with you entirely about the latter, but I would add that I see these errors occurring at all levels of Motorsports.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:40 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ZSA Motorsport
if they were all nicely behaved into that turn, and what you see is what occurred with no other stories, i'd be fuming if i were the inside guy. first, a trashed car. but then to be given a 13 for simply being collected at the start? insane.
Completely agree....
Old 03-24-2013, 08:13 PM
KaiB
Banned

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Completely agree....
um..it's my understanding that the other 13 came as a result of certain actions after the incident.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:14 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Cool

Completely agree....
I'd agree too, if that was what had happened.

Contact was not the reason, though.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Completely agree....
Originally Posted by KaiB
um..it's my understanding that the other 13 came as a result of certain actions after the incident.
Oops, Kai. You and I were posting at the same time.

You are correct...

Quick Reply: RA - Gt group, another first lap wreck